Disposable Printers

I'm on my third Lexmark Z515 from Wal-Mart @$29 USD. I just buy a new
printer when the cartridges give out.

At Wal-Mart the black cartridge costs $18 and the color $27 this is more $
than a new printer that includes cartridges.

I have successfully re-filled the cartridges by drilling tiny holes in the
corners and injecting ink to the bottom with a hypo.

I get about 1 years use out of each printer. I don't store the cartridges in
the printer. I use the original tape to cover the print head and store them
in a tiny Tupperware container with a small moist sponge to keep them from
drying out.

Picture quality from this 4800dpi printer is as good as I have seen on any
inkjet but it is a bit slow.

When done with the printer I enjoy taking it apart and playing with the
internal components before disposal.

Has anyone compared the $34 Hp disposable with the Z515?

ER
15 answers Last reply
More about disposable printers

    I admire your ingenuity and scream at the marketing methodology
    manufacturers purvey on the consumer. The lack of material morality that
    they foist on the population leads to continuous waste, no conservation of
    energy, and the attitude that rather than making a cost efficient machine
    that will hold up and allow cartridge refilling will get by minimally for a
    year or so, but just long enough for the company to make its killing profit
    on the ridiculously overpriced replacement cartridges.
    When the H is this country going to turn itself around and sell something
    that is a good value not only for what it does but also for what our moral
    value system inculcates?

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net
    "ER" <evad@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

    > I'm on my third Lexmark Z515 from Wal-Mart @$29 USD. I just buy a new
    > printer when the cartridges give out.
    >
    > At Wal-Mart the black cartridge costs $18 and the color $27 this is more $
    > than a new printer that includes cartridges.
    >
    > I have successfully re-filled the cartridges by drilling tiny holes in the
    > corners and injecting ink to the bottom with a hypo.
    >
    > I get about 1 years use out of each printer. I don't store the cartridges
    > in the printer. I use the original tape to cover the print head and store
    > them in a tiny Tupperware container with a small moist sponge to keep them
    > from drying out.
    >
    > Picture quality from this 4800dpi printer is as good as I have seen on any
    > inkjet but it is a bit slow.
    >
    > When done with the printer I enjoy taking it apart and playing with the
    > internal components before disposal.
    >
    > Has anyone compared the $34 Hp disposable with the Z515?
    >
    > ER

    [snip]
    > When the H is this country going to turn itself around and sell
    > something that is a good value not only for what it does but also for what
    > our moral value system inculcates?

    Not until the general populous will pay for it

    Mark

    Mark <marklb@bogus.net> wrote:
    > [snip]
    > > When the H is this country going to turn itself around and sell
    > > something that is a good value not only for what it does but also for what
    > > our moral value system inculcates?
    >
    > Not until the general populous will pay for it

    .... or even populace.

    --
    Chris Green

    <usenet@isbd.co.uk> wrote in message news:3ikuqtFl27qdU1@individual.net...
    > Mark <marklb@bogus.net> wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >> > When the H is this country going to turn itself around and sell
    >> > something that is a good value not only for what it does but also for
    >> > what
    >> > our moral value system inculcates?
    >>
    >> Not until the general populous will pay for it
    >>
    > ... or even populace.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Green

    Funny how we rely on spell check in this day and age, and accept anything
    that it throws at you.

    Mark

    www.fatwallet.com/c/18/ for more printer sale threads

    Anyways, totally agree disposable printers is the way to go - saves you
    headaches when they break/clog/jam, and you never have to worry about
    babying the machines.

    Add to that the typical 1 yr instant exchange warranty for free on these
    printers, and you get a great bargain no matter what.

    ---

    As for the HP disposables, they're fine. Typical RET IV generation
    printers with super-tiny ink cartridges. Fine text and basic photo
    printing overall. HP carts maybe harder to refill, so keep that in mind
    as well.

    ----

    Of course, in the end, it makes you wonder what's happening when the
    printers are cheaper than the ink cartridges, yet ink is dirt-cheap at
    <$1 per cartrdige wholesale?!?

    Clearly, readers of Computer Reseller Magazine know that the makers are
    really ripping everyone off when they can toot the 50%+ profit margins
    to resellers on cartridges in their ads.

    Also, it's no wonder they don't simply include big, fat bags of ink
    that'll last years in the printers so you don't have to change the ink
    at all (or at least for a year or two).

    Mark wrote:
    > <usenet@isbd.co.uk> wrote in message news:3ikuqtFl27qdU1@individual.net...
    >
    >>Mark <marklb@bogus.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>[snip]

    >>>Not until the general populous will pay for it
    >>>

    >>... or even populace.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Chris Green
    >

    > Funny how we rely on spell check in this day and age, and accept anything
    > that it throws at you.
    >
    > Mark

    Better define that "we." Accepting anything that
    spellcheck throws at you indicates lack of
    education or sense. I figure I know a lot more
    than spellcheck does (doesn't take much critical
    experience to figure that out). My fingers go
    unintended places and occasionally I just get a
    mental block, so I use spellcheck as a "check."
    But I haven't deteriorated to mixing up populous
    and populace and a thousand other substitutions
    that spellcheck seems to thing are correct.

    Jan Alter wrote:
    > I admire your ingenuity and scream at the marketing methodology
    > manufacturers purvey on the consumer. The lack of material morality that
    > they foist on the population leads to continuous waste, no conservation of
    > energy, and the attitude that rather than making a cost efficient machine
    > that will hold up and allow cartridge refilling will get by minimally for a
    > year or so, but just long enough for the company to make its killing profit
    > on the ridiculously overpriced replacement cartridges.
    > When the H is this country going to turn itself around and sell something
    > that is a good value not only for what it does but also for what our moral
    > value system inculcates?

    I think this is about time to have the legislators to make a law to
    prevent this kinds of thing to happen. Otherwise, this will go on as
    manufacturers cannot risk raising the price of their printers without
    the help of the competitors and consumers always look for cheap printers
    - shortsighted, but hardly anyone really calculates the cost of
    consumables and many simply junk their working printers and buy a new
    one. Manufacturers cannot just lower the ink cost without increasing the
    price of the printer, all thanks to Lexmark's lead of giving away the
    printer and selling over priced ink. It's like a disposable razor
    business but printer consumes a lot more materials and labor resources
    to produce.

    I bought an Epson R200 (with inks) for $50 after rebate but a set of ink
    costs $58. I will buy the ink cartridge alone if the printer's in
    working order, merely because I hate creating more trash. If I am going
    to protect my wallet, I'll simply buy a new low end printer again...

    I was hoping someone else would respond to the posting. My fingers are
    getting bloody and my voice is hoarse about this.

    We need some legislation with some teeth, because if you are waiting for
    the manufacturers in this industry to show some moral fortitude, you
    will be buried by old printer sand toss away ink cartridges before
    anything will change.

    Jan Alter wrote:

    > I admire your ingenuity and scream at the marketing methodology
    > manufacturers purvey on the consumer. The lack of material morality that
    > they foist on the population leads to continuous waste, no conservation of
    > energy, and the attitude that rather than making a cost efficient machine
    > that will hold up and allow cartridge refilling will get by minimally for a
    > year or so, but just long enough for the company to make its killing profit
    > on the ridiculously overpriced replacement cartridges.
    > When the H is this country going to turn itself around and sell something
    > that is a good value not only for what it does but also for what our moral
    > value system inculcates?

    Gee,

    Just think of how cheap they could make the printer if it didn't have
    removable cartridges?

    Maybe we will see them on the market soon. Hopefully with refillable ink
    tanks...

    ER

    "Arthur Entlich" <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >I was hoping someone else would respond to the posting. My fingers are
    >getting bloody and my voice is hoarse about this.
    >
    > We need some legislation with some teeth, because if you are waiting for
    > the manufacturers in this industry to show some moral fortitude, you will
    > be buried by old printer sand toss away ink cartridges before anything
    > will change.
    >

    > Jan Alter wrote:
    >
    >> I admire your ingenuity and scream at the marketing methodology
    >> manufacturers purvey on the consumer. The lack of material morality that
    >> they foist on the population leads to continuous waste, no conservation
    >> of energy, and the attitude that rather than making a cost efficient
    >> machine that will hold up and allow cartridge refilling will get by
    >> minimally for a year or so, but just long enough for the company to make
    >> its killing profit on the ridiculously overpriced replacement cartridges.
    >> When the H is this country going to turn itself around and sell
    >> something that is a good value not only for what it does but also for
    >> what our moral value system inculcates?

    >Just think of how cheap they could make the printer if it didn't have
    >removable cartridges?
    >
    >Maybe we will see them on the market soon. Hopefully with refillable ink
    >tanks...

    Good idea

    "ER" <evad@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

    > I'm on my third Lexmark Z515 from Wal-Mart @$29 USD. I just buy a new
    > printer when the cartridges give out.
    >
    > At Wal-Mart the black cartridge costs $18 and the color $27 this is more $
    > than a new printer that includes cartridges.

    Are they full carts though? Many printers come with "light use" (eg half
    size) carts.

    > "ER" <evad@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I'm on my third Lexmark Z515 from Wal-Mart @$29 USD. I just buy a new
    >> printer when the cartridges give out.
    >>
    >> At Wal-Mart the black cartridge costs $18 and the color $27 this is more
    >> $
    >> than a new printer that includes cartridges.
    >
    > Are they full carts though? Many printers come with "light use" (eg half
    > size) carts.

    They appear to be full carts, will print about 20 full coverage, high
    resolution, 8x10 prints before I need to refill them.

    I have never bought replacement carts so I don't know if they could do more.

    ER

    On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 05:09:46 -0700, "ER" <evad@dodgeit.com> wrote:

    >They appear to be full carts, will print about 20 full coverage, high
    >resolution, 8x10 prints before I need to refill them.
    >
    >I have never bought replacement carts so I don't know if they could do more.

    Well, if they only bundle 1/2-size cartridges, there goes any
    potential savings. My guess is Lexmark is not that dumb and most
    likely bundle only starter tanks. Even if they do not, low-end
    Lexmark's are probably the most expensive cost-per-page inkjet. So,
    let us say you spend $30 on the printer, but it costs more than 8
    cents for a black & white page. On the other hand, you could have
    purchased a Canon ip3000 for about $45 after rebate with per page
    costs for black and white about 3 cents. Of course if you rarely use
    an inkjet, those cheapie Lexmark's and similarly priced HP's are fine.
    However, if you do any amount of printing, I suggest you do the math
    to verify that your method actually benefits you monetarily.

    "BobbytheBrain" <LaLaLand@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 05:09:46 -0700, "ER" <evad@dodgeit.com> wrote:
    >
    >>They appear to be full carts, will print about 20 full coverage, high
    >>resolution, 8x10 prints before I need to refill them.
    >>
    >>I have never bought replacement carts so I don't know if they could do
    >>more.
    >
    > Well, if they only bundle 1/2-size cartridges, there goes any
    > potential savings. My guess is Lexmark is not that dumb and most
    > likely bundle only starter tanks. Even if they do not, low-end
    > Lexmark's are probably the most expensive cost-per-page inkjet. So,
    > let us say you spend $30 on the printer, but it costs more than 8
    > cents for a black & white page. On the other hand, you could have
    > purchased a Canon ip3000 for about $45 after rebate with per page
    > costs for black and white about 3 cents. Of course if you rarely use
    > an inkjet, those cheapie Lexmark's and similarly priced HP's are fine.
    > However, if you do any amount of printing, I suggest you do the math
    > to verify that your method actually benefits you monetarily.

    My print needs are very erratic. I can easily go 6 months without printing a
    single page. For this reason I despise inkjet printers that usually dry out
    and clog the printhead in less than 6 months. For this reason I bought an HP
    Laserjet 1012 because laser printers don't dry out and it always works when
    I want it to for B&W. I have been using it to print draft copies of my book
    with great success.

    Recently I took on a big project of printing hundreds of full color pictures
    to wallpaper a room. Here is where the cheapie Lexmark came in handy. For
    $29 + 12 for a refill kit I can print about 500 4x6 inch prints. When the
    project is complete it may be years before I do anything like this again so
    dumping the printer and not worrying about the printhead drying out is
    really peace of mind.

    ER

    Your usage is very atypical, especially for people reading this forum,
    so as interesting as your personal experience is, I'm not sure how
    relevant it is to the vast majority of people who own computers and use
    printers.

    I would agree for people who do fit your profile, the options you came
    to are workable.

    Art

    ER wrote:

    > My print needs are very erratic. I can easily go 6 months without printing a
    > single page. For this reason I despise inkjet printers that usually dry out
    > and clog the printhead in less than 6 months. For this reason I bought an HP
    > Laserjet 1012 because laser printers don't dry out and it always works when
    > I want it to for B&W. I have been using it to print draft copies of my book
    > with great success.
    >
    > Recently I took on a big project of printing hundreds of full color pictures
    > to wallpaper a room. Here is where the cheapie Lexmark came in handy. For
    > $29 + 12 for a refill kit I can print about 500 4x6 inch prints. When the
    > project is complete it may be years before I do anything like this again so
    > dumping the printer and not worrying about the printhead drying out is
    > really peace of mind.
    >
    > ER

Printers Lexmark Tiny Peripherals