Subdomain and public server

Currently i have a subdomain that is under another parent domain. I
enter the information into my local dns server to make it a public
server but from outside my network it can't be found . Is it possible
to make my name server public using a subdomain ? Pls advise. Thanks

Rgds
Daniel
4 answers Last reply
More about subdomain public server

    In news:6a6a9040.0409140236.4b96ff73@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> made a post then I commented below
    > Currently i have a subdomain that is under another parent domain. I
    > enter the information into my local dns server to make it a public
    > server but from outside my network it can't be found . Is it possible
    > to make my name server public using a subdomain ? Pls advise. Thanks
    >
    > Rgds
    > Daniel

    I am assuming you are connecting to a website, correct?
    If so, you would connect to it as:
    http://subdomain.domain.com

    Then of course, you need a hostheader in the website properties to match
    that.

    Can you ping subdomain.domain.com ?

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================

    Ace, still not able to ping . Can ping the parent domain but local
    host name still won't. Have setup my dns server using subdomain infor.

    Rgds
    Daniel

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<#HYqCokmEHA.952@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:6a6a9040.0409140236.4b96ff73@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> made a post then I commented below
    > > Currently i have a subdomain that is under another parent domain. I
    > > enter the information into my local dns server to make it a public
    > > server but from outside my network it can't be found . Is it possible
    > > to make my name server public using a subdomain ? Pls advise. Thanks
    > >
    > > Rgds
    > > Daniel
    >
    > I am assuming you are connecting to a website, correct?
    > If so, you would connect to it as:
    > http://subdomain.domain.com
    >
    > Then of course, you need a hostheader in the website properties to match
    > that.
    >
    > Can you ping subdomain.domain.com ?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.

    Ace, sorry for some confusion. I can ping subdomain.domain.com but i
    want my dns server to host it. So i set up a host name ,
    ns.subdomain.domain.com in my dns. But my host name can't be found.

    In news:6a6a9040.0409150649.5d1aa51e@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> made a post then I commented below
    > Ace, sorry for some confusion. I can ping subdomain.domain.com but i
    > want my dns server to host it. So i set up a host name ,
    > ns.subdomain.domain.com in my dns. But my host name can't be found.
    >
    > Rgds
    > Daniel

    A subdomain name can only be accessed publicly based on the parent domain.
    If the parent domain is domain.com, and the subdomain is child.domain.com,
    then to "find" the child.domain.com zone, it needs to know who is
    authorative (the registered SOA) of the domain.com zone. If you want your
    server to host the subdomain called "child" under domain.com on the public
    network, you must get it delegated from the owners of 'domain.com' to your
    DNS server. Who owns the 'domain.com' zone on the Internet? You have to ask
    them to delegate it to you.

    Ace

DNS Server Microsoft DNS Servers Windows