changing DNS Server hardware

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a Windows 2000 Server on a single domain that is a
AD Integrated DNS server, and a DHCP server. I would like
to upgrade the server with a newer server.

I was going to build the new server give it a temporary
name. Add it as a DNS server and a dhcp server. Then take
down the old server and rename the new server with the
old server name.

Would this be the correct procedure?

Is there any Q articles on it?

Thanks for any info.

In news:1d5401c49a5b$fb501f10$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Frank <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have a Windows 2000 Server on a single domain that is a
> AD Integrated DNS server, and a DHCP server. I would like
> to upgrade the server with a newer server.
>
> I was going to build the new server give it a temporary
> name. Add it as a DNS server and a dhcp server. Then take
> down the old server and rename the new server with the
> old server name.
>
> Would this be the correct procedure?

No. You cannot rename a Win2k Domain controller.

You would have to set up a third DC, Demote the old DC out of the domain,
then promote the new DC with the old DC's name. (once the old DC's name is
completely cleared out of Active Directory)

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Thanks for the reply. But let me explain a little better.
I have three DC's. So, your saying just use dcpromo to
demote the old server first "then" promote the new server
using dcpromo with the old DC's name after all the
replications have occurred?

In news:2a6b01c49b2b$081772f0$a301280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Thanks for the reply. But let me explain a little better.
> I have three DC's. So, your saying just use dcpromo to
> demote the old server first "then" promote the new server
> using dcpromo with the old DC's name after all the
> replications have occurred?

You didn't mention you had a third DC, but remember when you demote the DC
it will still be a member server, you'll have to remove it from the domain
or rename it before you can proceed with renaming the new machine. Then join
the new machine with the old name, and promote it to a DC.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thank you again. I have it straight now. Just wanted to
make sure. :)