Child DNS problem

Hi Guys I'm having this problem with DNS and it's driving
me insane!!! here is the story:
I have a root domain "test.com" everything is working well.
I added a "child.test.com" domain in the root DNS and
promoted server.child.test.com as a DC with dcpromo.
The "child.test.com" dns on the root gets populated but
then it disspears and i can't ping any machine from the
root to the child domain.
Thus I can ping anything from the child to the root
domain. The 2 domain are on 2 diff networks and routing is
working fine on both sides. I'm not an expert with DNS in
windows but i do understand it in BIND. Please HELP!!!

Jeff
5 answers Last reply
More about child problem

    Empire ( love that movie! ),

    Have you thought about following this MSKB Article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255248

    HTH,

    Cary

    "Emprie" <jardielli@exchangesolutions.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys I'm having this problem with DNS and it's driving
    > me insane!!! here is the story:
    > I have a root domain "test.com" everything is working well.
    > I added a "child.test.com" domain in the root DNS and
    > promoted server.child.test.com as a DC with dcpromo.
    > The "child.test.com" dns on the root gets populated but
    > then it disspears and i can't ping any machine from the
    > root to the child domain.
    > Thus I can ping anything from the child to the root
    > domain. The 2 domain are on 2 diff networks and routing is
    > working fine on both sides. I'm not an expert with DNS in
    > windows but i do understand it in BIND. Please HELP!!!
    >
    > Jeff

    Yes.... to many times. :)

    _msdcs
    _sites
    _tcp
    _udp

    get initially populated on the root domain and then they
    dissapear. But they do stay on the child domain. I'm not
    even sure if that is the problem... but when i reboot the
    server it get repopulated.

    In news:0bb501c49a77$bdcd2360$a601280a@phx.gbl,
    Empire <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
    below
    > Yes.... to many times. :)
    >
    > _msdcs
    > _sites
    > _tcp
    > _udp
    >
    > get initially populated on the root domain and then they
    > dissapear. But they do stay on the child domain. I'm not
    > even sure if that is the problem... but when i reboot the
    > server it get repopulated.

    Let's back up a bit. What OS is this? Are you using delegation? What do you
    mean that it 'exists on the child domain'? Does the child domain DNS server
    have a secondary zone of the Primary at the Root or does it have a primary
    at the child and its being delegated? Is the zone AD Integrated at either
    location?

    If its delegated to the child's DNS servers, then it should show up as a
    grayed out folder under the test.com zone on the root DNS server.

    Just for kicks, if its AD Integrated.go into ADUC, set view to advanced,
    check for Microsoft DNS zones, and see if the zone is in there prefixed with
    a "CNF:....".

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================

    newsgroups
    >so all can benefit.
    >
    >This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or
    guarantees
    >and confers no rights.
    >
    >Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I,
    MCT, MVP
    >Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory
    Services

    >Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    >HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    >A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    >--
    >=================================
    >

    >.
    >I'm using Windows 2000 server. Yes, i'm using deligation,
    yes, there is a gray folder under the test.com .
    Anways.... i think i fixed the problem. I moved the 3
    FSMOs to the other DC in the child.test.com domain and
    demoted the other DC and DNS start working fine. I will
    create a new case if it still doesn't work.

    Thanks for following up!

    In news:0e8f01c49b69$e6b24290$a401280a@phx.gbl,
    Empire <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
    below
    > I'm using Windows 2000 server. Yes, i'm using deligation,
    > yes, there is a gray folder under the test.com .
    > Anways.... i think i fixed the problem. I moved the 3
    > FSMOs to the other DC in the child.test.com domain and
    > demoted the other DC and DNS start working fine. I will
    > create a new case if it still doesn't work.
    >
    > Thanks for following up!

    Hmm, interesting turn of events. Maybe DNS was the issue just with that one
    machine? Either way, glad you're ok now. If you have any other problems,
    post back with a new thread.

    Cheers!

    Ace

Domain DNS Windows