Odd DNS Entry - bogusns TXT record

Janelle

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004

I've searched google groups to no avail. I am relatively new to DNS.
I set up a laptop yesterday. DHCP address assigned was, say, 10.0.0.1.
The laptop no longer has this IP and is, in fact, turned off. But, in
Windows DNS there is no A record entry but there is a TXT record for
this DHCP IP address and it is named bogusns.

Can anyone explain what this entry is?

Thanks.

In news:c39dc6d5.0409140855.5392cf98@posting.google.com,
Janelle <j_edmister@hotmail.com> made a post then I commented below
> I've searched google groups to no avail. I am relatively new to DNS.
> I set up a laptop yesterday. DHCP address assigned was, say, 10.0.0.1.
> The laptop no longer has this IP and is, in fact, turned off. But, in
> Windows DNS there is no A record entry but there is a TXT record for
> this DHCP IP address and it is named bogusns.
>
> Can anyone explain what this entry is?
>
> Thanks.

Is there anything in the Event log? Is this DNS a mutlihomed machine? What
OS and service pack level is this?
Sounds like a problem that happened to BIND servers when they are open to
attack with a new BIND release back in 1996. Make sure you set "Secure Cache
against Pollution" under DNS properties.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.