Zone transfers fail if (same as parent domain) exists?

I'm having a problem where my zone transfers fail...

Server A is a Windows 2000 Domain Controller with DNS (AD integrated
my domain, as well as numerous non-AD primary zones).

Server B is a Windows 2000 member server with DNS (secondary of my
domain).

Server C is a Windows 2003 domain controller with DNS (AD integrated
my domain).

All the non-AD primary zones on A have (same as parent domain) host
records so that people can resolve blah.tld as well as www.blah.tld.
BUT, if that record exists, transfers to B and C fail!

What can I do? Is the (same as parent domain) record the wrong way to
get people resolving blah.tld to an IP??

Thank you!
1 answer Last reply
More about zone transfers fail same parent domain exists

    In news:d912da91.0409140912.7955f7a6@posting.google.com,
    John T <johto@yahoo.com> made a post then I commented below
    > I'm having a problem where my zone transfers fail...
    >
    > Server A is a Windows 2000 Domain Controller with DNS (AD integrated
    > my domain, as well as numerous non-AD primary zones).
    >
    > Server B is a Windows 2000 member server with DNS (secondary of my
    > domain).
    >
    > Server C is a Windows 2003 domain controller with DNS (AD integrated
    > my domain).
    >
    > All the non-AD primary zones on A have (same as parent domain) host
    > records so that people can resolve blah.tld as well as www.blah.tld.
    > BUT, if that record exists, transfers to B and C fail!
    >
    > What can I do? Is the (same as parent domain) record the wrong way to
    > get people resolving blah.tld to an IP??
    >
    > Thank you!

    That is actually the correct way. Matter of fact, your domain controller
    will register that record to identify itself. Its used by AD functionality,
    such as how to find the DC so it can find Sysvol for replication, GPO
    applying, and DFS. If the record for the actual DC is altered, it will cause
    issues. Since this record is automatically registered by the netlogon
    service. If you alter the record, you may see it disappearing and the DC's
    record gets put back in. Since you have two DCs, they will both register
    their records, so it will look like:

    (same as parent) A IpAddresOfDc1
    (same as parent) A IpAddresOfDc2

    This is just one reason why its difficult to use an AD DNS server to host
    multiple domains for public use. If you have two DCs in the same domain and
    with DNS installed hosting the same zone, make both of them AD Integrated.
    If you want to host mutliple zones for website purposes, and such, I suggest
    to get a separate stand alone DNS server just for that purpose.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --

Domain Domain Controller DNS Servers Windows