Upgrading D950 to Core 2 in a dell precision 380

paulcurtis

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Hi,

I recently got a Precision 380 with a D950 and im wondering whether an upgrade to core 2 would simply involve replacing the CPU and update the BIOS (with another from dell) or whether it's not worth attempting. Sadly i got this at exactly the wrong time (although i got a good deal). The rest of the system is fully spec'd but the CPU is now not ideal.

Is this even possible, anyone attempted an upgrade like this?

thanks in advance
paul

dfrustynails

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
It could be possible you need to look at your motherboard and figure out what it is and what chipset it has. Take that info and either tell us or find out on intel's or mobos manufacture website. But i have upgraded a cpu in an out of the box PC you just have to look at your chipset and mobo.

zrawas

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
dfrustynails was on the right track. Download CPU-Z and check what your motherboard is. Then check if there's a BIOS update on the manufacturer's site for the chipset you have that supports Conroe.

As a side note, a D950 should last you a long time before you upgrade and it will probably hold you well until Kentsfield. I would hold off on Conroe and go for Kentsfield in January. If your mind is set to it, then do as I said above.

Good luck.

wrong!

Due to the propriatary natcure of most OBS (out of box systems). A CPU upgrade isn't possible. The motherboard is set to receive only the CPU's that Dell has available for that mopdel. Chances are Dell will not provide a bios update that would be needed to perform such an upgrade. The most you can do in these systems is upgrade the memory and video, or add other PCI cards.

call dell, ask if you can upgrade to that processor, if dell says yes then there you go. Ask dell for the part number, call dell again this time select the option to buy and give them the part number - ask for price and so on and so forth and buy it. If dell says no then thats a no.

You HAVE to go through DELL to upgrade though. Check your warranty info but i think it may void your warranty if you open up your pc case and take the processor out if its not from dell.

Hi,

I recently got a Precision 380 with a D950 and im wondering whether an upgrade to core 2 would simply involve replacing the CPU and update the BIOS (with another from dell) or whether it's not worth attempting. Sadly i got this at exactly the wrong time (although i got a good deal). The rest of the system is fully spec'd but the CPU is now not ideal.

Is this even possible, anyone attempted an upgrade like this?

thanks in advance
paul

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Dell do not void your warranty if you open the case, in fact they tend to ask you on the phone to take parts out (except cpu) to save them an on on site engineer visit!!!

I had a problem with them asking me to tell them what colour the led's are, I am colour blind so could not tell them and they would not send out an engineer until my mrs came home to tell them what colour!

as for different CPU if you have an intel 950 you have got a dual core, I have just put a intel 950 in my Dell 9150.

If you look in the BIOS you can use the info to see what it was setup for mine allowed my to install a sataII drive if gives you some idea,s what can be done

Dell don't like giving info on upgrades what I tend to do is see if they are still selling your product, if they are great look what the latest spec. I knew Dell still sold the 9150 so what ever cpu they put in it so it will work i.e they don't put different motherboards in the 9150. They change product name. for a new board

For parts look in Dell support put in your model number say looking for hard drives go to support put in your computer model and it will list part numbers get the info and buy it cheaper on line like e-buyer , dabs etc

puddy

paulcurtis

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Thanks for everyones advice. I don't have that PC with me at the moment so i'll go and check for sure and contact dell. However it was the very last of the 380s and now they are on the 390 with the Core 2. From memory the board was 975X which i believe is the same as the 390.

I would do it if it's a simple as a CPU swap and bios update (assuming memory, which is 4GB of DDR2 533, and everything else was okay)

I do a lot of film and 3D work and from what i see the benchmarks for core 2 would make a difference to me (and then i can upgrade in jan). Also i have to have the machines in my office and so running temp and how quiet something is also important. I believe the Core 2 runs pretty cool although im not sure abou the D950. (Im in the middle of moving hence not having things set up fully!)

thanks again for the advice
paul

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
You HAVE to go through DELL to upgrade though.
Really? I slapped an Antec 450 watt and a HIS X1600XT in a Dell with out a re-installation of Windows. Just went into the proprietary BIOS and changed video support from Integrated to add-in. No problems. I still would recommend what I did though. If you are still under warranty, go through Dell period.