Kentsfield (and other multicore)cpu compatibility Question

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
HI, Im planing to order a P5w dh deluxe mobo, and i was wondering what the "supports next gen multicore cpu's" means? that is does it mean that this mobo will support kentsfield cpus, and other multicores(more than 2 core ones)? will it just need a bios flash as the core 2 duo's needed? or is it probable that only the core 2 extreme will be the max(best) cpu that I will be able to use with this motherboard?, I heard that the Kentsfield will be one of the E6800 (core 2 extreme series)series later this year Q4 2006 (not 2007, it was pulled back)
Thank You for all replies.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
thx for the info, i heard that as well but wasnt shoor wheather that was true, althou i also heard the kentsfield will be part of the core 2 duo extreme cpu's so i gues it should work fine ...hopefully, thats why i was planing to get a good mobo that will alow me to just replace/upgrade a desired component, not replace "everything" as i have to do now.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
btw dows anyone know which stores sell the P5w dh deluxe with the newer bios? so i could be able to use it"out of the box"? i dont have an old 775 socket cpu, and i will be a bit pressed tof time when the components come in to put all of them together, so the wait for asus to send me the chip with the new bios will be quite a bit of an issue for me.

is the P5W dh Deluxe one of those mobos?

Yes, the Asus P5W DH mobo has the 975X chip.

There is no way for the retailer to know if the mobo will have the correct BIOS to support Conroe. They only way to find out is if they provide a "test service" for a fee. And you must buy both the mobo and the CPU from the same place.

Mwave.com is an example, they sell Motherboard & CPU Bundles and offers to test compatiblity for $9.

Here's a link:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/Deepsearchdd.hmx?UID=&CID=

However, the P5W DH is out of stock and they are currently asking $419 for the E6600; quite a price premium for the CPU. But $240 for the P5W DH is quite cheap.