outlook refreshing

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.connectivity,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Due to hardware we had to move DNS to a new computer. When we did this it
did not move correctly obviously causing problems. Restored back to the
original configuration. Now the desktops that were on the network during
the problem do not refresh the outlook client without moving to another
folder ie: inbox to calendar and then back to inbox. On the new computers
and the rebuilt computers this is not an issue. Does anyone have an answer
on this name resolution problem?

Thanks,
Mikel

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.connectivity,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:%23G0dVI1mEHA.3464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Mikel Robinson <mr@spamnondicorp.com> made a post then I commented below
> Due to hardware we had to move DNS to a new computer. When we did
> this it did not move correctly obviously causing problems. Restored
> back to the original configuration. Now the desktops that were on
> the network during the problem do not refresh the outlook client
> without moving to another folder ie: inbox to calendar and then back
> to inbox. On the new computers and the rebuilt computers this is not
> an issue. Does anyone have an answer on this name resolution problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Mikel

If is it just affecting Outlook, and its set as a MAPI client, that would be
more of a Netbios issue, rather than DNS, since Outlook (even with Ex2k or
Ex2k3), requires NetBIOS support for some of its functionality.

That said, when you moved DNS, what sort of errors or problems did you get?
When you moved it, did the machine get a new IP? If so, in DHCP, assuming
you are using DHCP, did you change Option 006 to reflect the new server
name? Are you using WINS? If so, do you see any incorrect addresses for the
current computernames in question?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.connectivity,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

I had my leases set to 2 days so that I could do the change over the weekend
and the clients would pick up the new settings. Yes I did change the DNS
setting in my DHCP. The one problem that I can say is common: If you go to
start/run and start typing a path for example servername/sharename/subfolder
if the DNS / Netbios is working correctly on the XP machine it will auto
resolve each step for you without having to type it all the way out. On the
machines that were having the outlook refreshing problem it would not
resolve even if typing the full path out to the executable such as my Trend
autoupdate.

Mikel
"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:em2Jcf4mEHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23G0dVI1mEHA.3464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Mikel Robinson <mr@spamnondicorp.com> made a post then I commented below
>> Due to hardware we had to move DNS to a new computer. When we did
>> this it did not move correctly obviously causing problems. Restored
>> back to the original configuration. Now the desktops that were on
>> the network during the problem do not refresh the outlook client
>> without moving to another folder ie: inbox to calendar and then back
>> to inbox. On the new computers and the rebuilt computers this is not
>> an issue. Does anyone have an answer on this name resolution problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mikel
>
> If is it just affecting Outlook, and its set as a MAPI client, that would
> be more of a Netbios issue, rather than DNS, since Outlook (even with Ex2k
> or Ex2k3), requires NetBIOS support for some of its functionality.
>
> That said, when you moved DNS, what sort of errors or problems did you
> get? When you moved it, did the machine get a new IP? If so, in DHCP,
> assuming you are using DHCP, did you change Option 006 to reflect the new
> server name? Are you using WINS? If so, do you see any incorrect addresses
> for the current computernames in question?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ace

> so all can benefit.

> and confers no rights.

> Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
>
> Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
> --
> =================================

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.connectivity,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Hi Mikel. See inline below...

In news:O2L9Uz$tEHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Mikel Robinson <mr@spamnondicorp.com> made a post then I commented below
> I had my leases set to 2 days so that I could do the change over the
> weekend and the clients would pick up the new settings. Yes I did
> change the DNS setting in my DHCP. The one problem that I can say is
> common: If you go to start/run and start typing a path for example
> servername/sharename/subfolder if the DNS / Netbios is working
> correctly on the XP machine it will auto resolve each step for you
> without having to type it all the way out.

Actually, going to start/run, and typing in a UNC, such as:
\\servername\sharename\subfolder , etc
IS A NeTBIOS function.

> On the machines that were
> having the outlook refreshing problem it would not resolve even if
> typing the full path out to the executable such as my Trend
> autoupdate.
> Mikel

There's really not enough info here to determine what's going on. Here are
some questions that I'm asking based on your original statement saying it
happend *after* the change. To me, it sounds like a simple IP configuration
problem, because if they were working prior to the change (and not sure what
you mean by "it did not move correctly" when you attempted to change DNS
server. Usually when we change a DNS server to a new IP, you configure your
domain controllers first, make sure they are working and make sure that AD
will register it's resources into the new zone on the new machine. Once
that's been confirmed, then you would move the servers, such as Exchange,
SQL, etc), and confirm they are registering and confirm there is no Event
log errors. Then once confirmed, we can now change the DHCP scope and
instruct everyone to reboot their machines to acquire the new configuration
(instead of walking around to each machine manually performing an ipconfig
/release, then an ipconfig /renew).

When looking at the problem machines, if you do an ipconfig /all, what IP
address and DNS addresses show up?

Do they show you the new DNS address? Are these XP machines?

Are they configured for DHCP or are they static?

Was the WINS server affected? Do you use WINS?

Is the resource you are trying to access or the Exchange server Outlook is
configured to use on the same subnet? Is there an alternate IP configured on
these machines?

Can you ping the resource by IP?

Can you ping the resource by it's Netbios (computer) name?

Can you ping by the resource's FQDN (the DNS name, such as server.domain.com
name)?

If it's just with Outlook, have you tried removing the Outlook profile, then
re-adding it?

Ace