Sign in with
Your question

X1600 Pro HDMI + Crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2006 5:07:24 PM

How will I hookup a X1600 Pro HDMI card in a Crossfire configuration? Will I need another X1600 w/ HDMI, or can I get a 2nd one w/o HDMI? What kinda of cabling will I need? Will I use a Y cord that has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output?

I'm confused, because Hexus said that the X1600 HDMI is Crossfire compatible. My guess is that I'll have ot use DVI if I want to utilize Xfire, and not HDMI.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2006 5:36:34 PM

X1600s do not need master and slave, add any X1600 and they will work in concert for Crossfire along the PCIe lanes. No need for DVI, but you can run an HDMI to DVI adapter if you need one. Really if you're buying a second X1600, just get a cheap non HDMI one and if you need a DVI connector, then use that other one, keep the HDMI for your HDCP content.

I was just parting out a rig with an X1900XT + X1600 HDMI for a friend building a multi monitor HTPC setup. And the way I look at it it's a perfect build; HDCP-HDMI for the HD-DVD/BR content and then later the ability to use it for Physics, while also being able to swap out and sell and upgrade the X1900XT for something better later.

Anywhoo, back to your origimal question, Just get another X1600 WITHOUT HDMI.
August 15, 2006 5:57:57 PM

Quote:
X1600s do not need master and slave, add any X1600 and they will work in concert for Crossfire along the PCIe lanes. No need for DVI, but you can run an HDMI to DVI adapter if you need one. Really if you're buying a second X1600, just get a cheap non HDMI one and if you need a DVI connector, then use that other one, keep the HDMI for your HDCP content.

I was just parting out a rig with an X1900XT + X1600 HDMI for a friend building a multi monitor HTPC setup. And the way I look at it it's a perfect build; HDCP-HDMI for the HD-DVD/BR content and then later the ability to use it for Physics, while also being able to swap out and sell and upgrade the X1900XT for something better later.

Anywhoo, back to your origimal question, Just get another X1600 WITHOUT HDMI.

Ah, I knew that the X1300 and X1600 didn't need master cards...
But I didn't know they ran across the PCI-e bridge.

Another thing, are you sure that a X1600+X1900 would work w/ Crossfire? My understanding is that the cards need to be identical...
Related resources
August 16, 2006 9:25:15 AM

Quote:
Another thing, are you sure that a X1600+X1900 would work w/ Crossfire? My understanding is that the cards need to be identical...

For dual GPU rendering, yes. But the other (ATI-promoted) future use for crossfire is to use the main (X1900series) card for rendering and a cheaper (eg X1600) for physics calculations. According to them the X1600 is 2x faster than Ageia's PPU. It also support's the Havok physics engine and they are working to incorporate Ageia's API too.

My gut feeling is that ATI will have better speed, pricing, software support and innovation than Ageia have presented so far, so will stomp them (harsh but true).
August 16, 2006 4:05:04 PM

Quote:

For dual GPU rendering, yes. But the other (ATI-promoted) future use for crossfire is to use the main (X1900series) card for rendering and a cheaper (eg X1600) for physics calculations. According to them the X1600 is 2x faster than Ageia's PPU. It also support's the Havok physics engine and they are working to incorporate Ageia's API too.

My gut feeling is that ATI will have better speed, pricing, software support and innovation than Ageia have presented so far, so will stomp them (harsh but true).

When you say "future use", does that mean that a x1900+x1600 will work now? Or do we need to wait for new mobo's/software? Is there an article I can read abou this?

Or is this that "Boundless Gaming" thing ATI is pushing?
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 4:48:39 PM

Quote:

When you say "future use", does that mean that a x1900+x1600 will work now? Or do we need to wait for new mobo's/software? Is there an article I can read abou this?

No, you're confusing things a little, and maybe I should've been more specific considering the nature of your question. The X1600 + X1900 is not for Xfire rendering, it's for a semi-HTPC rig for a friend, which will have the benefit in the future of using the X1600 for physics, not for assisting rendering 3D graphics. You cannot crossfire an X1600+1900 for graphics, but you will be able to treat the X1600 as a separate physics processor, just like as if you bought an Ageia PhysX1 card.

Here's a blurb from [H] on the phsyics side;
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA3OSwx...

Quote:
Or is this that "Boundless Gaming" thing ATI is pushing?

Yes somewhat.
Anywhoo, you can't add an X1600 to an X1900 for Xfire, but it does do multi-monitor right now which is what it'll be used for in this rig, and it also has the benefit of potentially being a physics co-processor in the future, and the whole time remaining a solid fully-HDCP HDMI out for this pc, regardless of whether he gets an R600 or G80 or any future card.
August 16, 2006 5:00:51 PM

Quote:
No, you're confusing things a little, and maybe I should've been more specific considering the nature of your question. The X1600 + X1900 is not for Xfire rendering, it's for a semi-HTPC rig for a friend, which will have the benefit in the future of using the X1600 for physics, not for assisting rendering 3D graphics. You cannot crossfire an X1600+1900 for graphics, but you will be able to treat the X1600 as a separate physics processor, just like as if you bought an Ageia PhysX1 card.

Did you buy the Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi-AP for this "physics" configuration?

Thanks for your answers!
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 7:50:57 PM

Nah, currently have him slated for a Gigabyte, but awaiting better benchmarks to finalize. But essentially with their recent deal it's pretty much the same thing. It's not an overclockers rig but he wants full features (ie upgradability without having to swap too much stuff all the time)

Here's the Gigabyte I've got him considering;

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Produc...

http://www.anitec.ca/product/6716/gigabyte_ga_965p_dq6_...

The only drawback is the 16x+4x lanes on the two PEG16X slots. But considering the configuration the X1900 gets full juice, the X1600 get 4X which should be enough based on observation of bandwidth oncumption. Just a little unsure for physics if it will matter, but it's gotta be better than the plain PCI for the Ageia card.

Kinda fun outlining a rig for someone , especially since it's no money spared, so I go for 'best fit' (finally got to actually recommend a PC Power&Cooling PSU to someone without having to say..... but you'd be OK with a Fortron/Enermax/OCZ to save money.) 8)
August 16, 2006 8:31:55 PM

If I do get a Crossfire mobo, and want the "physics" setup you have (x1900+x1600), would it still work?
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 9:13:51 PM

With the MoBo you linked to?

SURE, I don't see why not.

Of course right now no one but ATi and maybe some select partners know for sure, but there seems to be no physical barrier to that mobo you posted, but I just prefer the other, and prefer the PCIe layout for flexability, even if that one PCIe slot nearest the CPU is almost useless.

They both have similar 16x / 2-4X configurations on the PCIe lanes, so the benifit for specifically physics is good, however for crossfire rendering like X1600+X1600 that you were talking about originally, that 4X for the second card say pose a problem for the dongle-less Xfire, but I'm not sure. I'd just feel more comfortable with an 8X + 8X configuration for that personally, and for the X1900XTX even I don't think the 16x vs 8X would be a problem so if you are considering Xfire for graphics at all, then I would suggest look for the 8X + 8X variants like this;

http://www.anitec.ca/product/6587/asus_p5w_dh_deluxe_in...
August 16, 2006 10:55:21 PM

If i wanna do the "physics" setup, would my x1900 have to be a xfire edition card?
!