How long does DNS name server take to propagate to the Int..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

Hi,

I've got a basic question for you: I was hosting my external DNS using
Windows 2000, but yesterday I moved all of my DNS zones to a 3rd party DNS
provider called UltraDNS. I then logged on to my registrar's website and
pointed the name servers for my domain to:

udns1.ultradns.net
udns2.ultradns.net

I also *deleted* references to the previous nameservers. Some Internet
users are now able to resolve hostnames in my domain, while others are not.
Can you tell me how long it takes for this type of change to propagate out
through the Internet? Are we talking days, weeks, or..?

Thanks,

Sal Bompensaro
5 answers Last reply
More about long server propagate
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

    It depends on when the last updates occured, when you actually made the
    changes and whether or not the old record had been seen by someone.
    Typically a 24-hour lag is what you should expect for new records. Old
    records that have been modified may not be noticed until the original TTL
    expires on a client that has previously requested and cached those records.
    Some ISP say 72-hours is their norm

    --
    Sincerely,

    Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    www.readymaids.com - we know IT
    www.akomolafe.com
    Yesterday? -anon
    "Chien Lau" <MontherInLau@grandson.pop> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a basic question for you: I was hosting my external DNS using
    > Windows 2000, but yesterday I moved all of my DNS zones to a 3rd party DNS
    > provider called UltraDNS. I then logged on to my registrar's website and
    > pointed the name servers for my domain to:
    >
    > udns1.ultradns.net
    > udns2.ultradns.net
    >
    > I also *deleted* references to the previous nameservers. Some Internet
    > users are now able to resolve hostnames in my domain, while others are
    not.
    > Can you tell me how long it takes for this type of change to propagate out
    > through the Internet? Are we talking days, weeks, or..?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sal Bompensaro

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

    "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.com> wrote in message
    > It depends on when the last updates occured, when you actually made the
    > changes and whether or not the old record had been seen by someone.
    > Typically a 24-hour lag is what you should expect for new records. Old
    > records that have been modified may not be noticed until the original TTL
    > expires on a client that has previously requested and cached those
    records.
    > Some ISP say 72-hours is their norm

    ...but the thing is, no records have been changed. They are all the
    same. Only the nameservers have changed. Do ISPs cache nameservers as well
    as records? In other words, if an AOL customer wants to reach
    www.MyDomain.com and the record is not cached, will AOL's DNS server attempt
    to contact my **NEW** DNS server at UltraDNS or will it try to contact my
    old one instead?

    I hope this makes sense...

    Thanks, Deji.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

    It's the same. The registrar/ISP publishes the NS records for your Domain.
    (Normally) If someone had queried for you domain 1 hour ago, they will cache
    the info for your NS for as long as your TTL indicates. If you then change
    your NS records at your Registrar, your Registrar will then send the
    information to the Registry (being brief here). When the update occurs, the
    guy that looked you up 1 hour before you made the changes will not know
    about that change until the TTL expires and the information is needed again.
    This is the reason why you need to bring down the TTL on your records well
    before you make changes.

    Just wait it out is all I can say.

    --

    > "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.com> wrote in message
    > > It depends on when the last updates occured, when you actually made the
    > > changes and whether or not the old record had been seen by someone.
    > > Typically a 24-hour lag is what you should expect for new records. Old
    > > records that have been modified may not be noticed until the original
    TTL
    > > expires on a client that has previously requested and cached those
    > records.
    > > Some ISP say 72-hours is their norm
    > >

    > ...but the thing is, no records have been changed. They are all the
    > same. Only the nameservers have changed. Do ISPs cache nameservers as
    well
    > as records? In other words, if an AOL customer wants to reach
    > www.MyDomain.com and the record is not cached, will AOL's DNS server
    attempt
    > to contact my **NEW** DNS server at UltraDNS or will it try to contact my
    > old one instead?
    >
    > I hope this makes sense...
    >
    > Thanks, Deji.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

    I have a different take on what you have done . .

    If the previous dns servers authoritivative for your domaina are still up
    with the correct records, and the new dns servers are holding the same
    records, the 12 -24 transition should be seemless to end users. There should
    be no interuption of servcie for anyone.

    I have change authoritative DNS servers several times with no interuption
    during the propagation.

    "Chien Lau" <MontherInLau@grandson.pop> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a basic question for you: I was hosting my external DNS using
    > Windows 2000, but yesterday I moved all of my DNS zones to a 3rd party DNS
    > provider called UltraDNS. I then logged on to my registrar's website and
    > pointed the name servers for my domain to:
    >
    > udns1.ultradns.net
    > udns2.ultradns.net
    >
    > I also *deleted* references to the previous nameservers. Some Internet
    > users are now able to resolve hostnames in my domain, while others are
    > not.
    > Can you tell me how long it takes for this type of change to propagate out
    > through the Internet? Are we talking days, weeks, or..?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sal Bompensaro

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

    CL> yesterday I moved all of my DNS zones to a 3rd party DNS provider
    called UltraDNS.

    You didn't do it properly, did you?

    <URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-switching-content-servers.html>

Microsoft DNS Servers Windows