Setting up DNS

Hi

Simple one.
Have just set up a domain, 1 DC at the moment and 10 XP
machines.
No connection to the outside world.
Am I right in just setting up a DNS caching server with
no forward/reverse zones.

I do have more questions to follow after I get this one
confirmed.
6 answers Last reply
More about setting

    Hi Kev

    You really need DNS set up on your DC with an AD Integrated zone that
    corresponds to your internal name space. The zone should accept secure
    dynamic updates. The DC and all of the clients should point to this server
    as the "Preferred DNS Server" and you should have no "Alternate DNS Servers"
    configured.

    If at a later stage, you get an internet connection, you would configure a
    forwarder on your DNS server that points to your ISP's DNS server.

    Kind regards
    --
    Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    Windows Platform Support Team

    "Kev" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Simple one.
    > Have just set up a domain, 1 DC at the moment and 10 XP
    > machines.
    > No connection to the outside world.
    > Am I right in just setting up a DNS caching server with
    > no forward/reverse zones.
    >
    > I do have more questions to follow after I get this one
    > confirmed.

    In news:288d01c49c3a$d8f90090$a601280a@phx.gbl,
    Kev <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hi
    >
    > Simple one.
    > Have just set up a domain, 1 DC at the moment and 10 XP
    > machines.
    > No connection to the outside world.
    > Am I right in just setting up a DNS caching server with
    > no forward/reverse zones.
    >
    > I do have more questions to follow after I get this one
    > confirmed.

    If there is no connection to the internet, and therefore no internet access,
    there is no need for a caching DNS. I suggest you check the box "Disable
    recursion" on the Advanced tab to prevent DNS from even trying to resolve
    external names.
    You must have one Forward Lookup Zone though, it must be the same name as
    your AD Domain name in AD Users & Computers.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Thanks for the reply.
    Next question.
    We are thinking of setting up the network from scratch
    again this week. New installation of W2k Server and
    first DC in the new domain.
    When I imput the name of the Server and the domain, what
    should I be putting? I think this may be where I went
    wrong originally.
    Server name - MyServer
    Domain - MyDomain.Local

    Would that be the correct set up?

    In news:25be01c49e5e$772563b0$a301280a@phx.gbl,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote their comments
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Thanks for the reply.
    > Next question.
    > We are thinking of setting up the network from scratch
    > again this week. New installation of W2k Server and
    > first DC in the new domain.
    > When I imput the name of the Server and the domain, what
    > should I be putting?

    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, you don't input the server name
    during DCPROMO, only the DNS domain name and NetBIOS domain name are entered
    during dcpromo.

    I think this may be where I went
    > wrong originally.
    > Server name - MyServer
    > Domain - MyDomain.Local
    >
    > Would that be the correct set up?

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    with OEBackup:

    From your reply I now assume that the
    DNS Domain Name would be MyDomain.Local
    and
    NetBIOS Domain Name would be MyDomain

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:27c301c49e89$a0e532e0$a301280a@phx.gbl,
    Kev <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > From your reply I now assume that the