Setting up DNS

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
September 16, 2004 7:16:43 PM

Hi

Simple one.
Have just set up a domain, 1 DC at the moment and 10 XP
machines.
No connection to the outside world.
Am I right in just setting up a DNS caching server with
no forward/reverse zones.

I do have more questions to follow after I get this one
confirmed.

More about : setting dns

Anonymous
September 17, 2004 1:17:35 PM

Hi Kev

You really need DNS set up on your DC with an AD Integrated zone that
corresponds to your internal name space. The zone should accept secure
dynamic updates. The DC and all of the clients should point to this server
as the "Preferred DNS Server" and you should have no "Alternate DNS Servers"
configured.

If at a later stage, you get an internet connection, you would configure a
forwarder on your DNS server that points to your ISP's DNS server.

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"Kev" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Simple one.
> Have just set up a domain, 1 DC at the moment and 10 XP
> machines.
> No connection to the outside world.
> Am I right in just setting up a DNS caching server with
> no forward/reverse zones.
>
> I do have more questions to follow after I get this one
> confirmed.
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 2:32:57 PM

In news:288d01c49c3a$d8f90090$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Kev <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi
>
> Simple one.
> Have just set up a domain, 1 DC at the moment and 10 XP
> machines.
> No connection to the outside world.
> Am I right in just setting up a DNS caching server with
> no forward/reverse zones.
>
> I do have more questions to follow after I get this one
> confirmed.

If there is no connection to the internet, and therefore no internet access,
there is no need for a caching DNS. I suggest you check the box "Disable
recursion" on the Advanced tab to prevent DNS from even trying to resolve
external names.
You must have one Forward Lookup Zone though, it must be the same name as
your AD Domain name in AD Users & Computers.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Thanks for the reply.
Next question.
We are thinking of setting up the network from scratch
again this week. New installation of W2k Server and
first DC in the new domain.
When I imput the name of the Server and the domain, what
should I be putting? I think this may be where I went
wrong originally.
Server name - MyServer
Domain - MyDomain.Local

Would that be the correct set up?
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 5:22:51 PM

In news:25be01c49e5e$772563b0$a301280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Thanks for the reply.
> Next question.
> We are thinking of setting up the network from scratch
> again this week. New installation of W2k Server and
> first DC in the new domain.
> When I imput the name of the Server and the domain, what
> should I be putting?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, you don't input the server name
during DCPROMO, only the DNS domain name and NetBIOS domain name are entered
during dcpromo.

I think this may be where I went
> wrong originally.
> Server name - MyServer