Does Temperature affect Performance?

czar1020

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
For a cpu does it? will you notice a difference between 50 C and 30 C on the same chip? Also does anyone have any links for proof of it. I am not concerned about overclokcing or anything. I know temerature decreases life of it, but i wanted to know if it actually makes a performance difference.

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
If you remain below the absolute maximum rating you won't notice any performance reduction with stock settings (no overclock).
Only some versions of Intel NetBurst CPUs automatically reduce their clock speed if the die temp reaches dangerous levels, but usually the threshold is set at about 65-70°C.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
For a cpu does it? will you notice a difference between 50 C and 30 C on the same chip? Also does anyone have any links for proof of it. I am not concerned about overclokcing or anything. I know temerature decreases life of it, but i wanted to know if it actually makes a performance difference.

im not able to provide proof, as i havent looked... ...but, speaking from experience in regards to gpu performance... my benchmark scores in 3dmark03 rose at least a few hundred points with my old TI4200 (that i ended up breaking actually, when i kept trying different, and unorthodoxed ways of cooling it even more), but the immediate boost in performance was just from the noticable drop in temperatures applied directly to it (multiple fans)...

the airflow in my system then was virtually nonexistant, but, performance went up, just from the additional airflow (cold airflow) applied to the component

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Considering that computers run at a specific clock rate, then the answer is no...assuming of course they haven't throttled themselves down because of overheating, etc. If there are no adjustments to clock speed, and they run without failing, they will run at the same speed regardess of heat.