Windows 2000 DNS problems

I hope someone in this group can help me with a DNS
problem.

The symptom of the problem is that my Windows 2000 machine
seems to have lost the ability to resolve DNS names. I can
ping any IP address successfully, but Windows returns the
message "Unknown host" if I try and ping a hostname. I can
also not reach any websites through Internet Explorer.

I have tried a number of things, and this is what I have
established so far.

1. This is not a DNS server issue. My laptop is set up to
use the same DNS servers as my Win2k box and it works
fine. I have also tried using another DNS server, with the
same result.

2. This is not an issue with any of my network hardware.
My firewall and gateway are functioning correctly.

So logically this must be a problem on the Win2k box
itself.

I have tried flushing my DNS cache to no avail. I have
changed the IP address of the machine, also to no avail. I
have even gone so far as to uninstall and reinstall TCP/IP
but the problem persists.

The only thing I can think of to do now is to reinstall
Windows, and I really don't want to have to go to that
extreme. If anyone can think of a reason for this problem,
and how to solve it, I would be eternally grateful!

Many thanks

James.
j_p_hall060574@hotmail.com

In news:409101c49e81$b219c6a0$a601280a@phx.gbl,
James Hall <j_p_hall060574@hotmail.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> I hope someone in this group can help me with a DNS
> problem.
>
> The symptom of the problem is that my Windows 2000 machine
> seems to have lost the ability to resolve DNS names. I can
> ping any IP address successfully, but Windows returns the
> message "Unknown host" if I try and ping a hostname. I can
> also not reach any websites through Internet Explorer.
>
> I have tried a number of things, and this is what I have
> established so far.
>
> 1. This is not a DNS server issue. My laptop is set up to
> use the same DNS servers as my Win2k box and it works
> fine. I have also tried using another DNS server, with the
> same result.
>
> 2. This is not an issue with any of my network hardware.
> My firewall and gateway are functioning correctly.
>
> So logically this must be a problem on the Win2k box
> itself.
>
> I have tried flushing my DNS cache to no avail. I have
> changed the IP address of the machine, also to no avail. I
> have even gone so far as to uninstall and reinstall TCP/IP
> but the problem persists.
>
> The only thing I can think of to do now is to reinstall
> Windows, and I really don't want to have to go to that
> extreme. If anyone can think of a reason for this problem,
> and how to solve it, I would be eternally grateful!
>
> Many thanks
>
> James.
> j_p_hall060574@hotmail.com

Is this Wion2kPro or server, if it is a server, is it a Domain controller?
If it is a Win2kPro, try this:
811259 - How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811259

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

KEvin,

Many thanks for your help. I followed the instructions
that you sent me and the problem is now fixed. It looks
like it was caused by a piece of spyware which my spyware
remover didn't detect.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Best wishes

James.