NSlookup

mark

We have a domain spread over the UK all our servers run
DNS and have a zone deligated. When we install a server
at a site running NAT the nslookup fails to work and
defaults to the secondary DNS server. The error is "cant
find server name for address XX.XX.XX.XX: non existant
domain" where XX is the ip.

Does anyone have any idears please

In news:2de601c49f0e$14ef1d70$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Mark <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> We have a domain spread over the UK all our servers run
> DNS and have a zone deligated. When we install a server
> at a site running NAT the nslookup fails to work and
> defaults to the secondary DNS server. The error is "cant
> find server name for address XX.XX.XX.XX: non existant
> domain" where XX is the ip.
>
> Does anyone have any idears please

This is just Nslookup trying to perform a reverse lookup on the IP of the
DNS address. You can ignore this or create a reverse lookup zone and PTR
record.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

To add to Kevin's comment... I would not recommend that you add a reverse
lookup zone just to resolve this issue. It would be much less trouble to
simply ignore the message.

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> In news:2de601c49f0e$14ef1d70$a301280a@phx.gbl,
> Mark <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
> Then Kevin replied below:
>> We have a domain spread over the UK all our servers run
>> DNS and have a zone deligated. When we install a server
>> at a site running NAT the nslookup fails to work and
>> defaults to the secondary DNS server. The error is "cant
>> find server name for address XX.XX.XX.XX: non existant
>> domain" where XX is the ip.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idears please
>
> This is just Nslookup trying to perform a reverse lookup on the IP of the
> DNS address. You can ignore this or create a reverse lookup zone and PTR
> record.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]