Need advice on printer and paper

I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
probably prefer an ink jet printer.

I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
would be the most cost efficient.

Regards,

SNTP
75 answers Last reply
More about need advice printer paper

    SNTP <No@Spam.No> wrote in news:2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com:

    > I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
    > may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
    > letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
    > probably prefer an ink jet printer.
    >
    > I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
    > would be the most cost efficient.

    The printer and paper are insignificant cost factors compared to what
    you will pay for ink. Typically, two sets of original brand ink cartridges
    from Canon, Epson, HP or Lexmark cost far more than the printer. And on
    some models they equal the cost of the printer or even cost MORE than the
    printer!

    Recommendation: refill with economical bulk ink (typically 8 oz bottles)
    designed for your printer type. Don't use what's called Universal
    ink, the kind they say 'works in every printer'. They may work, but may
    give you poor results. There are several online sellers (even eBay) with
    quality bulk inks and refilling equipment (syringes, plugs, etc). I've
    been refilling with bulk inks for ages with no problems whatsoever and
    quality that matches original inks. The Canon printer cartridges are by
    far the easiest to refill. Get something like the iP4000 (the i560 is a
    relatively poor, now obsolete model). The iP4000 is on sale everywhere
    since the whole Canon line is about to be ugraded - again. This model is
    their popular 'workhorse' printer and has had excellent reviews. Typically,
    your cost will be about $1 per cartridge when using bulk.

    You'll see many follow-up posts against refilling from the resident
    troll who calls himself "Measekite". Ignore him totally and you'll do just
    fine. Don't reply or ask him any questions. If you do, he knows he's got
    you hooked. He doesn't know anything about bulk or refilling (he's never
    done it). Just read some of his posts and you'll get the message that he's
    only here to get off, pardon the expression. Jeff

    How about a Canon ip3000? It has only 4 ink cartridges. Should cost you
    less for the job and it may be more reliable for the same reason.

    SNTP wrote:

    > I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
    > may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
    > letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
    > probably prefer an ink jet printer.
    >
    > I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
    > would be the most cost efficient.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > SNTP

    Stevelee, thanks for the help.

    Anything other than Canon? I just bought Canon i560. On every photo it
    replaces gray color with such amount of blue that photos look toxic. Any
    attempts to reduce the amount of blue in the printout have no effect on
    the printer.
    Regards,

    SNTP

    Stevelee wrote:
    > How about a Canon ip3000? It has only 4 ink cartridges. Should cost you
    > less for the job and it may be more reliable for the same reason.
    >
    > SNTP wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office.
    >> They may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be
    >> 1/2 letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I
    >> woild probably prefer an ink jet printer.
    >>
    >> I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
    >> would be the most cost efficient.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> SNTP

    Canon IP5000

    SNTP wrote:

    > I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office.
    > They may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be
    > 1/2 letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I
    > woild probably prefer an ink jet printer.
    >
    > I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
    > would be the most cost efficient.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > SNTP

    As an alternative to the Canon IP5000 Fry's has a sale on the Canon
    IP4000 with a net price of $79.95 after rebate.

    Jeff wrote:

    >SNTP <No@Spam.No> wrote in news:2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com:
    >

    >>I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
    >>may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
    >>letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
    >>probably prefer an ink jet printer.
    >>
    >>I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
    >>would be the most cost efficient.
    >>

    > The printer and paper are insignificant cost factors compared to what
    >you will pay for ink. Typically, two sets of original brand ink cartridges
    >from Canon, Epson, HP or Lexmark cost far more than the printer. And on
    >some models they equal the cost of the printer or even cost MORE than the
    >printer!
    >
    > Recommendation: refill with economical bulk ink (typically 8 oz bottles)
    >designed for your printer type.

    If you want to take a chance on noname unbranded ink and have a pain in
    the ass to possibly get a clogged head.

    > Don't use what's called Universal
    >ink, the kind they say 'works in every printer'. They may work, but may
    >give you poor results. There are several online sellers (even eBay) with
    >quality bulk inks and refilling equipment (syringes, plugs, etc). I've
    >been refilling with bulk inks for ages with no problems whatsoever and
    >quality that matches original inks.

    For each person who has no problems that must be a dozen who do.

    Burt wrote:

    >Jeff. Measekite has a good idea on what he is talking about re aftermarket inks.
    >He always spouts the same truths about clogs, noname inks, etc. Look for the
    >posts from a few people who have reported success with select vendors and
    >products. If you are interested in refilling cartridges email me

    Of Course

    measekite wrote:

    >>> For each person who has no problems that must be a dozen who do.

    That's not true. You know that's not true. Everyone who post here knows
    that's not true. Everyone who uses after market inks knows that's not
    true. But you don't use after market inks so you cannot say one way or
    the other what the truth is.
    So why on earth do you keep posting your untruths about the truth?

    Frank

    Jeff - in case you are a newcomer to the NG you can now see Measekite's
    stupid pranks with changing my posts. Classic Junior High sense of humor.

    "SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
    > Stevelee, thanks for the help.
    >
    > Anything other than Canon? I just bought Canon i560. On every photo it
    > replaces gray color with such amount of blue that photos look toxic. Any
    > attempts to reduce the amount of blue in the printout have no effect on
    > the printer.
    > Regards,
    >
    > SNTP

    Sounds like the printer might be faulty. I've got an IP4000 and am printing
    several 100 full colour brochures on it currently with 1/2 price Kodak
    double sided glossy paper and G&G inks. Working fine (though the Kodak paper
    does not reproduce well - it's good enough for brochures)

    Caitlin wrote:

    >"SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
    >

    >> Stevelee, thanks for the help.
    >>
    >>Anything other than Canon? I just bought Canon i560. On every photo it
    >>replaces gray color with such amount of blue that photos look toxic. Any
    >>attempts to reduce the amount of blue in the printout have no effect on
    >>the printer.
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>SNTP
    >>

    >Sounds like the printer might be faulty. I've got an IP4000 and am printing
    >several 100 full colour brochures on it currently with 1/2 price Kodak
    >double sided glossy paper and G&G inks. Working fine (though the Kodak paper
    >does not reproduce well - it's good enough for brochures)

    G&G does not make inks.

    In message <2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com>, SNTP <No@Spam.No>
    writes
    >I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office.
    >They may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be
    >1/2 letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I
    >woild probably prefer an ink jet printer.
    >
    >I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
    >would be the most cost efficient.

    Are they going to get wet?

    --
    Timothy

    I guess they may on a rainy day, like any flyer.

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > In message <2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com>, SNTP <No@Spam.No> writes
    >
    > Are they going to get wet?

    > I just checked and this model uses 5 color printing. I am a total newbie
    > with colors and still trying to grasp CMYK system. Five colors does not
    > make my task easier. [BG]

    It's just a 4 color CMYK printer. It has two blacks, one for text and
    one for graphics. It's actually a nice feature.

    Besides it doesn't get funky till you get those printers with red,
    blue, and green inks, then it starts getting confusing.

    Win xp 64 support is presently lacking. If your running xp pro you get
    a free upgrade to win xp pro 64 till the end of july from microsoft,
    unless your an OEM user than this is up to the vender, but if you are
    even considering this the canon consumer models near as i'm aware don't
    support juding from the amount i'm seeing at goodwill lately.

    But yea either frys or newegg, though frys is likely cheeper when
    taking tax into account.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828102154

    Frank wrote:

    > That's true. You know that's true. Everyone who post here knows that's
    > true. Everyone who uses after market inks knows that's true. But even
    > if you don't use after market inks so you can say one way or the other
    > what the truth is.
    > So why on earth do you keep posting your truths about the truth?
    >
    > Frank

    Because I read about the problems here Doe Doe

    IP5000 is way overkill for "a few hundred flyers at a time in my home
    office. They may include some photos, but nothing special"

    The IP3000 should be perfectly adequate.

    Caitlin wrote:

    >IP5000 is way overkill for "a few hundred flyers at a time in my home
    >office. They may include some photos, but nothing special"
    >
    >The IP3000 should be perfectly adequate.

    The IP3000 does not make sense today when you can get the IP4000 for
    less money.

    measekite wrote:
    > As an alternative to the Canon IP5000 Fry's has a sale on the Canon
    > IP4000 with a net price of $79.95 after rebate.

    I just checked and this model uses 5 color printing. I am a total newbie
    with colors and still trying to grasp CMYK system. Five colors does not
    make my task easier. [BG]

    "SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
    > I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
    > may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
    > letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
    > probably prefer an ink jet printer.

    Personally for that quantity I'd get them printed for me. Buy the inkjet
    anyway.

    I checked at Staples, they charge CDN$0.70 a page. A couple of hundred
    pages will pay for the printer and the ink. And after all the printer
    will stay with me.[BG]

    CWatters wrote:
    > "SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
    >>may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
    >>letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
    >>probably prefer an ink jet printer.
    >

    > Personally for that quantity I'd get them printed for me. Buy the inkjet
    > anyway.

    The fifth cartridge is pigment based black which is used for text printing.
    The four colors you mention, CMYK are used when printing color images.
    Three-color printers are actually capable of printing all colors including
    black, but CMYK printers do a better job with photos and text as well. The
    fifth cart has been added for text documents and is probably more permanent.
    Six color printers include the CMYK carts plus a photo cyan and photo
    magenta with lighter dye loads to blend colors more smoothly. I have read
    that the light dye load inks have a tendency to fade more quickly than the
    others. I have a Canon i960, a six color printer, which makes beautiful
    photo prints and very good text as well. Now Canon has eight-color
    printers with the same carts as the i960 plus a red and a green cart for
    more vivid reds and greens. I don't know what type of paper you are
    interested in using for your fliers or if you want to print on both sides.
    Plain paper doesn't have much weight, nor does it print very vivid color
    images. It isn't too bad for colored text or graphics (if you aren't
    looking for a really professional graphic image.) Coated papers are more
    expensive but print much better color images. Epson makes a reasonably
    priced coated matte paper and also makes a double sided coated matte paper
    for printing both sides. I use this paper for greeting cards. There are
    also coated papers that are lighter weight for brochures and catalog pages.
    Typical is Kodak matte inkjet photo letter paper. I don't know what coated
    papers are available in larger quantities at lower price. In the San
    Francisco area the large office supplies (office depot, office max, staples)
    sometimes have two-for-one sales on photo papers. Presently OfficeMax has
    two-for-one pricing on all of their papers.

    Canon ink cartridges are the easiest to refill if you really want to save
    money on supplies. Don't pay any attention to Measekite. He will follow
    this message to denounce the aftermarket inks, cartridges, vendors, and me!
    There are plenty of people on this newsgroup who have posted their success
    with these products and can help you if you want more information. Rather
    than getting into a verbal posting battle with Measekite I will answer
    emails with more detail on this issue.

    > measekite wrote:
    >> As an alternative to the Canon IP5000 Fry's has a sale on the Canon
    >> IP4000 with a net price of $79.95 after rebate.
    >
    > I just checked and this model uses 5 color printing. I am a total newbie
    > with colors and still trying to grasp CMYK system. Five colors does not
    > make my task easier. [BG]

    Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are
    there good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?

    TIA

    SNTP

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 08:09:45 -0400, SNTP <No@Spam.No> wrote:

    >I guess they may on a rainy day, like any flyer.

    In that case, either get a laser (which, btw, would be far more cost
    efficient) or get them printed for you. Print with a Canon and they
    won't last past the first raindrop.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    > Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    > Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are
    > there good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?

    The ip3000 has CMY and Pigment black, no dye black. To me this was a
    cheap printer to buy while my epson was in the shop... and well it's
    kind of a keeper. My application for it was CD printing so I wasn't
    too worried about it.

    You'll have to talk to someone wiser than my self but I was under the
    impression that the black nozzles were larger for the pigmented black
    than the nozzles for the dye black, which are 5pl and 2pl respectivly
    (assuming the concept diagram I saw was correct). I feel there would
    be an advantage going with the ip4000 with a dedicated black and a dye
    photo black.

    But hey.... don't want to do that.. ip3000 works just fine. Just
    expect photos with lots of shadow to have a flat black that looks like
    it's above the paper.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
    believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented black)
    in plain paper mode. If you are using any of the photo paper settings (like
    the matte photo paper I mentioned) the only ink that will be used from that
    cart is with cleaning cycles. Someone with experience with that printer
    will be able to either verify or correct this info. I believe that Ron
    Cohen uses that printer and refills with Formulabs bulk ink from
    Alotofthings. He can fill you in on the details.

    > Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    > Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are there
    > good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > SNTP
    >
    > Burt wrote:
    >> The fifth cartridge is pigment based black which is used for text
    >> printing. The four colors you mention, CMYK are used when printing color
    >> images. Three-color printers are actually capable of printing all colors
    >> including black, but CMYK printers do a better job with photos and text
    >> as well. The fifth cart has been added for text documents and is
    >> probably more permanent.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > ¡¡THAT'S NOT FARE!! Canadians are getting mistreated again and for no
    > apparent reasons this time.[BG]

    This might be true. The feature is not officaly enabled in the
    Americas, or perhaps only north America. If you have a few extra bucks
    you can always order a european one. But there is an apparent reason,
    Canon didn't want to pay royalties to philips or so i'm told... which
    woudl explain why I can get the ip3000 in america for $65 shipped but
    the euro one would be usd$141 not including $52.00 shipping fee but
    fortunatly no VAT.

    They "can" do it but it requires diddling with the buttons and either
    making a tray or ordering one, which is hard as the dealers don't deal
    with things like credit cards or international shipping. I'm using an
    epson tray with 2mm off each side and about 12mm off the nose. Canon
    trays are sold on e-bay but for a very pretty penny. One can make one
    out of cardboard in a pinch.

    If your interested in the subject of CD printing on north american
    Pixmas (ip3000/ip4000/ip5000/ip6000 mp750/760/780) refer to the
    following links

    http://pixma.cjb.net/ - "5 easy steps" has a nice photo of a done CD
    http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/ "Pixma-faq CD-printing in the Americas"
    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=61437&forum_id=40
    -I have one disc posted from the ip3000 there... might have to login-
    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40
    huge thread started last october. Presently 38 pages.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke wrote:
    >>Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    >>Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are
    >>there good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?
    >

    > The ip3000 has CMY and Pigment black, no dye black. To me this was a
    > cheap printer to buy while my epson was in the shop... and well it's
    > kind of a keeper. My application for it was CD printing so I wasn't
    > too worried about it.

    The price of this printer is very attractive and performance perhapce
    even exceeds my current needs. How does it handles CDs? Canon does not
    say anything in the product descripton.
    http://www.canon.ca/pdf/iP3000%20fact%20sheet%20ENG.pdf

    TIA

    SNTP
  29. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    No need to talk to anyone else about this. Zakezuke was 100% correct. The
    iP3000 will use CMY to create a composite black when in other than plain
    paper mode. As Zake said the iP4000 has a dye based black which eliminates
    using composite black.
    --
    Ron

    "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    >> Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are
    >> there good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?
    >
    > The ip3000 has CMY and Pigment black, no dye black. To me this was a
    > cheap printer to buy while my epson was in the shop... and well it's
    > kind of a keeper. My application for it was CD printing so I wasn't
    > too worried about it.
    >
    > You'll have to talk to someone wiser than my self but I was under the
    > impression that the black nozzles were larger for the pigmented black
    > than the nozzles for the dye black, which are 5pl and 2pl respectivly
    > (assuming the concept diagram I saw was correct). I feel there would
    > be an advantage going with the ip4000 with a dedicated black and a dye
    > photo black.
    >
    > But hey.... don't want to do that.. ip3000 works just fine. Just
    > expect photos with lots of shadow to have a flat black that looks like
    > it's above the paper.

  30. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    SNTP wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >
    >> As an alternative to the Canon IP5000 Fry's has a sale on the Canon
    >> IP4000 with a net price of $79.95 after rebate.
    >

    > I just checked and this model uses 5 color printing. I am a total
    > newbie with colors and still trying to grasp CMYK system. Five colors
    > does not make my task easier. [BG]

    It will do just fine for just about any purpose. The 5th color is black
    pigmented ink used for text when plain paper is selected. You also have
    a dye black for photos.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
    > believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented black)
    > in plain paper mode.

    Well I don't think that can be completely true, because I've just printed 50
    double sided A4 full colour glossy brochures, and my IP 4000 just reported
    the 3E black pigment ink as running low.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >> My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
    >> believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented black)
    >> in plain paper mode.
    >
    > Well I don't think that can be completely true, because I've just printed
    > 50 double sided A4 full colour glossy brochures, and my IP 4000 just
    > reported the 3E black pigment ink as running low.

    I did note that I have no experience with the Pixma line but was repeating
    what someone had written. I was clear that I could be in error. I was
    under the impression that the pigmented ink was only used with the plain
    paper setting. Plus cleaning cycles that either the operator runs or the
    printer automatically runs periodically.

  33. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke wrote:
    >>¡¡THAT'S NOT FARE!! Canadians are getting mistreated again and for no
    >>apparent reasons this time.[BG]
    >

    > This might be true. The feature is not officaly enabled in the
    > Americas, or perhaps only north America. If you have a few extra bucks
    > you can always order a european one. But there is an apparent reason,
    > Canon didn't want to pay royalties to philips or so i'm told... which
    > woudl explain why I can get the ip3000 in america for $65 shipped but
    > the euro one would be usd$141 not including $52.00 shipping fee but
    > fortunatly no VAT.
    >
    > They "can" do it but it requires diddling with the buttons and either
    > making a tray or ordering one, which is hard as the dealers don't deal
    > with things like credit cards or international shipping. I'm using an
    > epson tray with 2mm off each side and about 12mm off the nose. Canon
    > trays are sold on e-bay but for a very pretty penny. One can make one
    > out of cardboard in a pinch.
    >
    > If your interested in the subject of CD printing on north american
    > Pixmas (ip3000/ip4000/ip5000/ip6000 mp750/760/780) refer to the
    > following links
    >
    > http://pixma.cjb.net/ - "5 easy steps" has a nice photo of a done CD
    > http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/ "Pixma-faq CD-printing in the Americas"
    > http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=61437&forum_id=40
    > -I have one disc posted from the ip3000 there... might have to login-
    > http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40
    > huge thread started last october. Presently 38 pages.

    Very interesting information.
    Thanks,
    SNTP
  34. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke wrote:

    >..... Canon
    > trays are sold on e-bay but for a very pretty penny.

    Probably something like this one.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11197&item=6782377811&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
  35. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Probably something like this one.
    >http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11197&item=6782377811&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    Indeed. My modified epson tray works very well, though on the ip3000,
    did require a manual alignment... seems my white marks were off by
    -1.4mm and .5m, but given the fact that there were no accurate
    measurements at the time I can't feel too badly. Those trays are free
    to epson owners who request replacements, and e-bay for far less.
    Otherwise cardboard from what i've seen works very well.

    I've not tried taking an epson tray to a machineshop yet. It may sound
    silly, and they might laugh at you, but given the cost of the e-bay
    canon tray it's a cost effective alternative.

    I'm holding out till the e-bay trays are at a buy me now price of
    $30.00.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Ron Cohen wrote:

    >"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote
    >> You'll have to talk to someone wiser than my self but I was under the
    >> impression that the black nozzles were larger for the pigmented black
    >> than the nozzles for the dye black, which are 5pl and 2pl respectivly
    >> (assuming the concept diagram I saw was correct). I feel there would
    >> be an advantage going with the ip4000 with a dedicated black and a dye
    >> photo black.

    This is a common mistake concerning droplet size.

    The photo black uses 5pl nozzles, as does all the other colours. The 2pl
    size only applies to half of the magenta and cyan nozzles. The other
    half of the cyan and magenta nozzles are 5pl.

    The 2pl size is only used by the cyan and magenta to make a lighter
    droplet to represent the light photo dye loads. That's how the four
    colour printers produce results close to six colour printers.

    >No need to talk to anyone else about this. Zakezuke was 100% correct. The
    >iP3000 will use CMY to create a composite black when in other than plain
    >paper mode. As Zake said the iP4000 has a dye based black which eliminates
    >using composite black.

    Actually the iP3000 uses the pigment black on photos as well if the
    black level is 80% or higher where mixing of the dye and pigment inks
    isn't much of an issue. With the Canon or similar resin papers, the
    black is adsorbed deep into the paper just like the dye inks because the
    carrier for both is water-based and the two mix well enough at that
    level.

    The iP4000 uses the photo black for images and gets a slightly better
    mix on the paper, but it's not a dramatic difference until you get into
    grayscales.

    And even though the Canon black is pigment based in the iP3000, its
    permanence is low and its black level is also low compared to HP inks,
    so it smudges very easily, probably due to being water-based.

    HP papers do not draw the ink below the paper surface very much, so the
    pigment black tends to swell on the surface until it dries completely.
    The HP black is also much darker and does not smudge as easily as the
    Canon, but it still smudges.

    Laser printers are the only way to go to get smudge-free black text.
  37. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > If using needles was messy, then how come those products are used in
    > hospitals and medical clinics?

    Because it's the only way to get liquid under the skin and into the
    blood supply.

    They are messy, this is fair comment. In hospitals most meds are clear
    so when they spew them on the floor or carpet to get the air bubbles
    out you can't see it, and they are only spewing a mc or two... and some
    one will mop it up later. For home refilling this level of precision
    isn't nessicary and you can always spew into a waste bin.

    For printer use this isn't such a big deal, assuming you're using
    something that doesn't require vacume filling. Those can be real
    messy if the stopper becomes dislodged and you get color splatter
    everywhere. This can be resolved by having the right sized syringe.
  38. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > "Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >>> My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
    >>> believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented
    >>> black) in plain paper mode.
    >>
    >> Well I don't think that can be completely true, because I've just printed
    >> 50 double sided A4 full colour glossy brochures, and my IP 4000 just
    >> reported the 3E black pigment ink as running low.
    >
    > I did note that I have no experience with the Pixma line but was repeating
    > what someone had written. I was clear that I could be in error. I was
    > under the impression that the pigmented ink was only used with the plain
    > paper setting. Plus cleaning cycles that either the operator runs or the
    > printer automatically runs periodically.

    Hey - I wasn't accusing you of lying! Just making an observation!
  39. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Well I don't think that can be completely true, because I've just
    >>> printed 50 double sided A4 full colour glossy brochures, and my IP 4000
    >>> just reported the 3E black pigment ink as running low.
    >>
    >> I did note that I have no experience with the Pixma line but was
    >> repeating what someone had written. I was clear that I could be in
    >> error. I was under the impression that the pigmented ink was only used
    >> with the plain paper setting. Plus cleaning cycles that either the
    >> operator runs or the printer automatically runs periodically.
    >>>

    > Hey - I wasn't accusing you of lying! Just making an observation!

    I was not offended by your response. Just stating the fact that I didn't
    have experience with these units. I didn't interpret your message as an
    accusation - glad you corrected me. No problem.

  40. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > zakezuke wrote:
    >>>Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    >>>Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are
    >>>there good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?
    >>

    >> The ip3000 has CMY and Pigment black, no dye black. To me this was a
    >> cheap printer to buy while my epson was in the shop... and well it's
    >> kind of a keeper. My application for it was CD printing so I wasn't
    >> too worried about it.
    >>

    > The price of this printer is very attractive and performance perhapce even
    > exceeds my current needs. How does it handles CDs? Canon does not say
    > anything in the product descripton.
    > http://www.canon.ca/pdf/iP3000%20fact%20sheet%20ENG.pdf
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > SNTP

    It doesn't handle CDs at all in Canada or elsewhere in North America.
    Outside that continent the IP models print to CD.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Caitlin wrote:

    > It doesn't handle CDs at all in Canada or elsewhere in North America.
    > Outside that continent the IP models print to CD.

    ¡¡THAT'S NOT FARE!! Canadians are getting mistreated again and for no
    apparent reasons this time.[BG]
  42. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke wrote:
    >>Probably something like this one.
    >>http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11197&item=6782377811&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    >
    > I've not tried taking an epson tray to a machineshop yet. It may sound
    > silly, and they might laugh at you, but given the cost of the e-bay
    > canon tray it's a cost effective alternative.
    >
    > I'm holding out till the e-bay trays are at a buy me now price of
    > $30.00.

    Yeah, it's a seller market right now.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Burt wrote:

    >My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
    >believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented black)
    >in plain paper mode.

    Wrong. It is the BCI-3eBK cart

    > If you are using any of the photo paper settings (like
    >the matte photo paper I mentioned) the only ink that will be used from that
    >cart is with cleaning cycles. Someone with experience with that printer
    >will be able to either verify or correct this info. I believe that Ron
    >Cohen uses that printer and refills with Formulabs bulk ink
    >. He can fill you in on the details.

    Get you needles ready for the messy pain in the ass.

    >"SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
    >

    >>Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    >>Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are there
    >>good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>SNTP
    >>
    >>Burt wrote:
    >>

    >>>The fifth cartridge is pigment based black which is used for text
    >>>printing. The four colors you mention, CMYK are used when printing color
    >>>images. Three-color printers are actually capable of printing all colors
    >>>including black, but CMYK printers do a better job with photos and text
    >>>as well. The fifth cart has been added for text documents and is
    >>>probably more permanent.

  44. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite wrote:

    Get you needles ready for the messy pain in the ass.

    <------------------------------------------------->

    What...? You stopped drinking ink and now you're going to inject it into
    your ass?
    We all know you're nuts but..com'on...bet that'll hurt!
    Frank
  45. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Burt wrote:

    >"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
    >>>believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented black)
    >>>in plain paper mode.
    >>>

    >>Well I don't think that can be completely true, because I've just printed
    >>50 double sided A4 full colour glossy brochures, and my IP 4000 just
    >>reported the 3E black pigment ink as running low.
    >>

    >I did note that I have no experience with the Pixma line but was repeating
    >what someone had written.

    Polly want a cracker

    > I was clear that I could be in error.

    You usually are

    >I was
    >under the impression that the pigmented ink was only used with the plain
    >paper setting.

    DUH

    > Plus cleaning cycles that either the operator runs or the
    >printer automatically runs periodically.

  46. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Caitlin wrote:

    >"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message

    >>>Well I don't think that can be completely true, because I've just printed
    >>>50 double sided A4 full colour glossy brochures, and my IP 4000 just
    >>>reported the 3E black pigment ink as running low.
    >>>

    >>I did note that I have no experience with the Pixma line but was repeating
    >>what someone had written. I was clear that I could be in error. I was
    >>under the impression that the pigmented ink was only used with the plain
    >>paper setting. Plus cleaning cycles that either the operator runs or the
    >>printer automatically runs periodically.
    >>

    >Hey - I wasn't accusing you of lying! Just making an observation!

    You should have

  47. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Burt wrote:
    >
    >>My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
    >>believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented black)
    >>in plain paper mode.
    > Wrong. It is the BCI-3eBK cart

    Huh? The BCI-3eBK is the pigmented black as stated by Burt above.

    >> If you are using any of the photo paper settings (like the matte photo
    >> paper I mentioned) the only ink that will be used from that cart is with
    >> cleaning cycles. Someone with experience with that printer will be able
    >> to either verify or correct this info. I believe that Ron Cohen uses
    >> that printer and refills with Formulabs bulk ink . He can fill you in on
    >> the details.
    >>

    > Get you needles ready for the messy pain in the ass.

    If using needles was messy, then how come those products are used in
    hospitals and medical clinics? It isn't messy for those who have at least a
    minimum of motor skills and common sense. Actually, I've come up with a
    totally different method of refilling that doesn't use syringes, is quicker
    than conventional methods and eliminates the possibility of spills from open
    ink bottles. It costs a little less than $3.00 to make. I'd be more than
    happy to make a refilling set for you and send it to you for free just to
    prove how easy refilling can be. Of course you'd also need to order some
    good quality ink from a supplier who specifies the brand of ink they sell. I
    know that you are well aware of at least one. To send you a set, I'll need a
    good mailing address for you. Send me a private e-mail with that
    information.

    Ron

    >>"SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    >>>Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are there
    >>>good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>SNTP

  48. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite wrote:

    I wish I could have served my country with honor like Burt, Frank, Art
    and all the rest did. But they would never take a loser like me. Not
    that I tried seeing as how I'm nothing but a complete coward and a real
    idiot who is a moron.
    I would hide behind my mom's dress if they ever tried to take me.

    measekite
  49. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    measekite wrote:

    What you did was put on your stuffed shirt and be a grumpy old fart.
    I don't know what that means but it's the best I could come up with
    seeing how I'm so stupid.

    measekite

Printers Office Peripherals Product