Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need advice on printer and paper

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 10:22:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
probably prefer an ink jet printer.

I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
would be the most cost efficient.

Regards,

SNTP

More about : advice printer paper

July 1, 2005 11:07:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

SNTP <No@Spam.No> wrote in news:2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com:

> I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
> may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
> letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
> probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>
> I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
> would be the most cost efficient.
>




The printer and paper are insignificant cost factors compared to what
you will pay for ink. Typically, two sets of original brand ink cartridges
from Canon, Epson, HP or Lexmark cost far more than the printer. And on
some models they equal the cost of the printer or even cost MORE than the
printer!

Recommendation: refill with economical bulk ink (typically 8 oz bottles)
designed for your printer type. Don't use what's called Universal
ink, the kind they say 'works in every printer'. They may work, but may
give you poor results. There are several online sellers (even eBay) with
quality bulk inks and refilling equipment (syringes, plugs, etc). I've
been refilling with bulk inks for ages with no problems whatsoever and
quality that matches original inks. The Canon printer cartridges are by
far the easiest to refill. Get something like the iP4000 (the i560 is a
relatively poor, now obsolete model). The iP4000 is on sale everywhere
since the whole Canon line is about to be ugraded - again. This model is
their popular 'workhorse' printer and has had excellent reviews. Typically,
your cost will be about $1 per cartridge when using bulk.

You'll see many follow-up posts against refilling from the resident
troll who calls himself "Measekite". Ignore him totally and you'll do just
fine. Don't reply or ask him any questions. If you do, he knows he's got
you hooked. He doesn't know anything about bulk or refilling (he's never
done it). Just read some of his posts and you'll get the message that he's
only here to get off, pardon the expression. Jeff
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 3:34:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

How about a Canon ip3000? It has only 4 ink cartridges. Should cost you
less for the job and it may be more reliable for the same reason.

SNTP wrote:

> I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
> may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
> letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
> probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>
> I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
> would be the most cost efficient.
>
> Regards,
>
> SNTP
Related resources
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 3:34:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Stevelee, thanks for the help.

Anything other than Canon? I just bought Canon i560. On every photo it
replaces gray color with such amount of blue that photos look toxic. Any
attempts to reduce the amount of blue in the printout have no effect on
the printer.
Regards,

SNTP


Stevelee wrote:
> How about a Canon ip3000? It has only 4 ink cartridges. Should cost you
> less for the job and it may be more reliable for the same reason.
>
> SNTP wrote:
>
>> I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office.
>> They may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be
>> 1/2 letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I
>> woild probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>>
>> I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
>> would be the most cost efficient.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> SNTP
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:18:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Canon IP5000

SNTP wrote:

> I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office.
> They may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be
> 1/2 letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I
> woild probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>
> I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
> would be the most cost efficient.
>
> Regards,
>
> SNTP
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:20:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

As an alternative to the Canon IP5000 Fry's has a sale on the Canon
IP4000 with a net price of $79.95 after rebate.

Stevelee wrote:

> How about a Canon ip3000? It has only 4 ink cartridges. Should cost you
> less for the job and it may be more reliable for the same reason.
>
> SNTP wrote:
>
>> I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office.
>> They may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to
>> be 1/2 letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this
>> point I woild probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>>
>> I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what
>> paper would be the most cost efficient.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> SNTP
>
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:28:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Jeff wrote:

>SNTP <No@Spam.No> wrote in news:2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com:
>
>
>
>>I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
>>may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
>>letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
>>probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>>
>>I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
>>would be the most cost efficient.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
> The printer and paper are insignificant cost factors compared to what
>you will pay for ink. Typically, two sets of original brand ink cartridges
>from Canon, Epson, HP or Lexmark cost far more than the printer. And on
>some models they equal the cost of the printer or even cost MORE than the
>printer!
>
> Recommendation: refill with economical bulk ink (typically 8 oz bottles)
>designed for your printer type.
>

If you want to take a chance on noname unbranded ink and have a pain in
the ass to possibly get a clogged head.

> Don't use what's called Universal
>ink, the kind they say 'works in every printer'. They may work, but may
>give you poor results. There are several online sellers (even eBay) with
>quality bulk inks and refilling equipment (syringes, plugs, etc). I've
>been refilling with bulk inks for ages with no problems whatsoever and
>quality that matches original inks.
>

For each person who has no problems that must be a dozen who do.

>The Canon printer cartridges are by
>far the easiest to refill. Get something like the iP4000 (the i560 is a
>relatively poor, now obsolete model). The iP4000 is on sale everywhere
>since the whole Canon line is about to be ugraded - again. This model is
>their popular 'workhorse' printer and has had excellent reviews. Typically,
>your cost will be about $1 per cartridge when using bulk.
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 9:29:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Burt wrote:

>Jeff. Measekite has a good idea on what he is talking about re aftermarket inks.
>He always spouts the same truths about clogs, noname inks, etc. Look for the
>posts from a few people who have reported success with select vendors and
>products. If you are interested in refilling cartridges email me
>

Of Course

>and I will
>give you some web site links to look at. I would reply here but I don't
>feel like starting up again with Measekite's informed responses.
>
>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>news:7Koxe.2740$0V3.2263@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
>>Jeff wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>SNTP <No@Spam.No> wrote in news:2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
>>>>may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
>>>>letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
>>>>probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>>>>
>>>>I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
>>>>would be the most cost efficient.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> The printer and paper are insignificant cost factors compared to what
>>>you will pay for ink. Typically, two sets of original brand ink
>>>cartridges
>>>
>>>
>>>from Canon, Epson, HP or Lexmark cost far more than the printer. And on
>>
>>
>>>some models they equal the cost of the printer or even cost MORE than the
>>>printer!
>>> Recommendation: refill with economical bulk ink (typically 8 oz
>>>bottles) designed for your printer type.
>>>
>>>
>>If you want to take a chance on noname unbranded ink and have a pain in
>>the ass to possibly get a clogged head.
>>
>>
>>
>>>Don't use what's called Universal
>>>ink, the kind they say 'works in every printer'. They may work, but may
>>>give you poor results. There are several online sellers (even eBay) with
>>>quality bulk inks and refilling equipment (syringes, plugs, etc). I've
>>>been refilling with bulk inks for ages with no problems whatsoever and
>>>quality that matches original inks.
>>>
>>>
>>For each person who has no problems that must be a dozen who do.
>>
>>
>>
>>>The Canon printer cartridges are by far the easiest to refill. Get
>>>something like the iP4000 (the i560 is a relatively poor, now obsolete
>>>model). The iP4000 is on sale everywhere since the whole Canon line is
>>>about to be ugraded - again. This model is
>>>their popular 'workhorse' printer and has had excellent reviews.
>>>Typically, your cost will be about $1 per cartridge when using bulk.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
>
July 2, 2005 9:29:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

measekite wrote:


>>>
>>> For each person who has no problems that must be a dozen who do.
>>>

That's not true. You know that's not true. Everyone who post here knows
that's not true. Everyone who uses after market inks knows that's not
true. But you don't use after market inks so you cannot say one way or
the other what the truth is.
So why on earth do you keep posting your untruths about the truth?

Frank
July 2, 2005 9:32:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Jeff - in case you are a newcomer to the NG you can now see Measekite's
stupid pranks with changing my posts. Classic Junior High sense of humor.

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
news:_Cpxe.2756$0V3.2215@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
> Burt wrote:
>
>>Jeff. Measekite has a good idea on what he is talking about re
>>aftermarket inks. He always spouts the same truths about clogs, noname
>>inks, etc. Look for the posts from a few people who have reported success
>>with select vendors and products. If you are interested in refilling
>>cartridges email me
>
> Of Course
>
>>and I will give you some web site links to look at. I would reply here
>>but I don't feel like starting up again with Measekite's informed
>>responses.
>>
>>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>>news:7Koxe.2740$0V3.2263@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>>
>>>Jeff wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>SNTP <No@Spam.No> wrote in news:2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office.
>>>>>They may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be
>>>>>1/2 letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I
>>>>>woild probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>>>>>
>>>>>I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
>>>>>would be the most cost efficient.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> The printer and paper are insignificant cost factors compared to what
>>>> you will pay for ink. Typically, two sets of original brand ink
>>>> cartridges
>>>>
>>>>from Canon, Epson, HP or Lexmark cost far more than the printer. And on
>>>
>>>>some models they equal the cost of the printer or even cost MORE than
>>>>the printer!
>>>> Recommendation: refill with economical bulk ink (typically 8 oz
>>>> bottles) designed for your printer type.
>>>>
>>>If you want to take a chance on noname unbranded ink and have a pain in
>>>the ass to possibly get a clogged head.
>>>
>>>
>>>>Don't use what's called Universal
>>>>ink, the kind they say 'works in every printer'. They may work, but may
>>>>give you poor results. There are several online sellers (even eBay)
>>>>with quality bulk inks and refilling equipment (syringes, plugs, etc).
>>>>I've been refilling with bulk inks for ages with no problems whatsoever
>>>>and quality that matches original inks.
>>>>
>>>For each person who has no problems that must be a dozen who do.
>>>
>>>
>>>>The Canon printer cartridges are by far the easiest to refill. Get
>>>>something like the iP4000 (the i560 is a relatively poor, now obsolete
>>>>model). The iP4000 is on sale everywhere since the whole Canon line is
>>>>about to be ugraded - again. This model is
>>>>their popular 'workhorse' printer and has had excellent reviews.
>>>>Typically, your cost will be about $1 per cartridge when using bulk.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 2:47:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
news:u4mdneOvv9pDSljfRVn-og@teksavvy.com...
> Stevelee, thanks for the help.
>
> Anything other than Canon? I just bought Canon i560. On every photo it
> replaces gray color with such amount of blue that photos look toxic. Any
> attempts to reduce the amount of blue in the printout have no effect on
> the printer.
> Regards,
>
> SNTP
>


Sounds like the printer might be faulty. I've got an IP4000 and am printing
several 100 full colour brochures on it currently with 1/2 price Kodak
double sided glossy paper and G&G inks. Working fine (though the Kodak paper
does not reproduce well - it's good enough for brochures)
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 2:47:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Caitlin wrote:

>"SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
>news:u4mdneOvv9pDSljfRVn-og@teksavvy.com...
>
>
>> Stevelee, thanks for the help.
>>
>>Anything other than Canon? I just bought Canon i560. On every photo it
>>replaces gray color with such amount of blue that photos look toxic. Any
>>attempts to reduce the amount of blue in the printout have no effect on
>>the printer.
>>Regards,
>>
>>SNTP
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>Sounds like the printer might be faulty. I've got an IP4000 and am printing
>several 100 full colour brochures on it currently with 1/2 price Kodak
>double sided glossy paper and G&G inks. Working fine (though the Kodak paper
>does not reproduce well - it's good enough for brochures)
>
>

G&G does not make inks.

>
>
>
July 2, 2005 2:55:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In message <2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com>, SNTP <No@Spam.No>
writes
>I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office.
>They may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be
>1/2 letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I
>woild probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>
>I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
>would be the most cost efficient.
>
Are they going to get wet?

--
Timothy
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 2:55:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I guess they may on a rainy day, like any flyer.

me@privacy.net wrote:
> In message <2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com>, SNTP <No@Spam.No> writes
>
> Are they going to get wet?
>
July 2, 2005 6:06:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> I just checked and this model uses 5 color printing. I am a total newbie
> with colors and still trying to grasp CMYK system. Five colors does not
> make my task easier. [BG]

It's just a 4 color CMYK printer. It has two blacks, one for text and
one for graphics. It's actually a nice feature.

Besides it doesn't get funky till you get those printers with red,
blue, and green inks, then it starts getting confusing.

Win xp 64 support is presently lacking. If your running xp pro you get
a free upgrade to win xp pro 64 till the end of july from microsoft,
unless your an OEM user than this is up to the vender, but if you are
even considering this the canon consumer models near as i'm aware don't
support juding from the amount i'm seeing at goodwill lately.

But yea either frys or newegg, though frys is likely cheeper when
taking tax into account.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 6:31:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Burt wrote:

>Jeff - in case you are another old fart to the NG you can now see my
>stupid pranks with changing my posts. Classic Junior High sense of humor.
>
>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>news:_Cpxe.2756$0V3.2215@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
>>Burt wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>Jeff. Measekite has a good idea on what he is talking about re
>>>aftermarket inks. He always spouts the same truths about clogs, noname
>>>inks, etc. Look for the posts from a few people who have reported success
>>>with select vendors and products. If you are interested in refilling
>>>cartridges email me
>>>
>>>
>>Of Course
>>
>>
>>
>>>and I will give you some web site links to look at. I would reply here
>>>but I don't feel like starting up again with Measekite's informed
>>>responses.
>>>
>>>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>>>news:7Koxe.2740$0V3.2263@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Jeff wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>SNTP <No@Spam.No> wrote in news:2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office.
>>>>>>They may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be
>>>>>>1/2 letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I
>>>>>>woild probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
>>>>>>would be the most cost efficient.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>> The printer and paper are insignificant cost factors compared to what
>>>>>you will pay for ink. Typically, two sets of original brand ink
>>>>>cartridges
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>from Canon, Epson, HP or Lexmark cost far more than the printer. And on
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>some models they equal the cost of the printer or even cost MORE than
>>>>>the printer!
>>>>> Recommendation: refill with economical bulk ink (typically 8 oz
>>>>>bottles) designed for your printer type.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>If you want to take a chance on noname unbranded ink and have a pain in
>>>>the ass to possibly get a clogged head.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Don't use what's called Universal
>>>>>ink, the kind they say 'works in every printer'. They may work, but may
>>>>>give you poor results. There are several online sellers (even eBay)
>>>>>with quality bulk inks and refilling equipment (syringes, plugs, etc).
>>>>>I've been refilling with bulk inks for ages with no problems whatsoever
>>>>>and quality that matches original inks.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>For each person who has no problems that must be a dozen who do.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>The Canon printer cartridges are by far the easiest to refill. Get
>>>>>something like the iP4000 (the i560 is a relatively poor, now obsolete
>>>>>model). The iP4000 is on sale everywhere since the whole Canon line is
>>>>>about to be ugraded - again. This model is
>>>>>their popular 'workhorse' printer and has had excellent reviews.
>>>>>Typically, your cost will be about $1 per cartridge when using bulk.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 6:36:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>
>>>>
>>>> For each person who has no problems that must be a dozen who do.
>>>>
>
> That's true. You know that's true. Everyone who post here knows that's
> true. Everyone who uses after market inks knows that's true. But even
> if you don't use after market inks so you can say one way or the other
> what the truth is.
> So why on earth do you keep posting your truths about the truth?
>
> Frank


Because I read about the problems here Doe Doe
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 7:45:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

IP5000 is way overkill for "a few hundred flyers at a time in my home
office. They may include some photos, but nothing special"

The IP3000 should be perfectly adequate.

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
news:qAoxe.2736$0V3.216@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> Canon IP5000
>
> SNTP wrote:
>
>> I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
>> may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
>> letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
>> probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>>
>> I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
>> would be the most cost efficient.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> SNTP
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 7:45:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Caitlin wrote:

>IP5000 is way overkill for "a few hundred flyers at a time in my home
>office. They may include some photos, but nothing special"
>
>The IP3000 should be perfectly adequate.
>
>

The IP3000 does not make sense today when you can get the IP4000 for
less money.

>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>news:qAoxe.2736$0V3.216@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
>>Canon IP5000
>>
>>SNTP wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
>>>may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
>>>letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
>>>probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>>>
>>>I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
>>>would be the most cost efficient.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>SNTP
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:08:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

measekite wrote:
> As an alternative to the Canon IP5000 Fry's has a sale on the Canon
> IP4000 with a net price of $79.95 after rebate.

I just checked and this model uses 5 color printing. I am a total newbie
with colors and still trying to grasp CMYK system. Five colors does not
make my task easier. [BG]
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:11:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
news:2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com...
> I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
> may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
> letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
> probably prefer an ink jet printer.

Personally for that quantity I'd get them printed for me. Buy the inkjet
anyway.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:11:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I checked at Staples, they charge CDN$0.70 a page. A couple of hundred
pages will pay for the printer and the ink. And after all the printer
will stay with me.[BG]

CWatters wrote:
> "SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
> news:2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com...
>
>>I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
>>may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
>>letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
>>probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>
>
> Personally for that quantity I'd get them printed for me. Buy the inkjet
> anyway.
>
>
July 3, 2005 1:10:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

The fifth cartridge is pigment based black which is used for text printing.
The four colors you mention, CMYK are used when printing color images.
Three-color printers are actually capable of printing all colors including
black, but CMYK printers do a better job with photos and text as well. The
fifth cart has been added for text documents and is probably more permanent.
Six color printers include the CMYK carts plus a photo cyan and photo
magenta with lighter dye loads to blend colors more smoothly. I have read
that the light dye load inks have a tendency to fade more quickly than the
others. I have a Canon i960, a six color printer, which makes beautiful
photo prints and very good text as well. Now Canon has eight-color
printers with the same carts as the i960 plus a red and a green cart for
more vivid reds and greens. I don't know what type of paper you are
interested in using for your fliers or if you want to print on both sides.
Plain paper doesn't have much weight, nor does it print very vivid color
images. It isn't too bad for colored text or graphics (if you aren't
looking for a really professional graphic image.) Coated papers are more
expensive but print much better color images. Epson makes a reasonably
priced coated matte paper and also makes a double sided coated matte paper
for printing both sides. I use this paper for greeting cards. There are
also coated papers that are lighter weight for brochures and catalog pages.
Typical is Kodak matte inkjet photo letter paper. I don't know what coated
papers are available in larger quantities at lower price. In the San
Francisco area the large office supplies (office depot, office max, staples)
sometimes have two-for-one sales on photo papers. Presently OfficeMax has
two-for-one pricing on all of their papers.

Canon ink cartridges are the easiest to refill if you really want to save
money on supplies. Don't pay any attention to Measekite. He will follow
this message to denounce the aftermarket inks, cartridges, vendors, and me!
There are plenty of people on this newsgroup who have posted their success
with these products and can help you if you want more information. Rather
than getting into a verbal posting battle with Measekite I will answer
emails with more detail on this issue.

"SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
news:o YydnaNAsuSmaVvfRVn-hw@teksavvy.com...
> measekite wrote:
>> As an alternative to the Canon IP5000 Fry's has a sale on the Canon
>> IP4000 with a net price of $79.95 after rebate.
>
> I just checked and this model uses 5 color printing. I am a total newbie
> with colors and still trying to grasp CMYK system. Five colors does not
> make my task easier. [BG]
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:10:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are
there good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?

TIA

SNTP

Burt wrote:
> The fifth cartridge is pigment based black which is used for text printing.
> The four colors you mention, CMYK are used when printing color images.
> Three-color printers are actually capable of printing all colors including
> black, but CMYK printers do a better job with photos and text as well. The
> fifth cart has been added for text documents and is probably more permanent.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:14:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 08:09:45 -0400, SNTP <No@Spam.No> wrote:

>I guess they may on a rainy day, like any flyer.
>
In that case, either get a laser (which, btw, would be far more cost
efficient) or get them printed for you. Print with a Canon and they
won't last past the first raindrop.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com
Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
you don't have, to impress people you don't like...
July 3, 2005 2:19:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> Thanks for the detailed explanation.
> Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are
> there good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?

The ip3000 has CMY and Pigment black, no dye black. To me this was a
cheap printer to buy while my epson was in the shop... and well it's
kind of a keeper. My application for it was CD printing so I wasn't
too worried about it.

You'll have to talk to someone wiser than my self but I was under the
impression that the black nozzles were larger for the pigmented black
than the nozzles for the dye black, which are 5pl and 2pl respectivly
(assuming the concept diagram I saw was correct). I feel there would
be an advantage going with the ip4000 with a dedicated black and a dye
photo black.

But hey.... don't want to do that.. ip3000 works just fine. Just
expect photos with lots of shadow to have a flat black that looks like
it's above the paper.
July 3, 2005 2:21:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented black)
in plain paper mode. If you are using any of the photo paper settings (like
the matte photo paper I mentioned) the only ink that will be used from that
cart is with cleaning cycles. Someone with experience with that printer
will be able to either verify or correct this info. I believe that Ron
Cohen uses that printer and refills with Formulabs bulk ink from
Alotofthings. He can fill you in on the details.

"SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
news:fN6dnZ51uZb-jVrfRVn-hA@teksavvy.com...
> Thanks for the detailed explanation.
> Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are there
> good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?
>
> TIA
>
> SNTP
>
> Burt wrote:
>> The fifth cartridge is pigment based black which is used for text
>> printing. The four colors you mention, CMYK are used when printing color
>> images. Three-color printers are actually capable of printing all colors
>> including black, but CMYK printers do a better job with photos and text
>> as well. The fifth cart has been added for text documents and is
>> probably more permanent.
July 3, 2005 5:07:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> ¡¡THAT'S NOT FARE!! Canadians are getting mistreated again and for no
> apparent reasons this time.[BG]

This might be true. The feature is not officaly enabled in the
Americas, or perhaps only north America. If you have a few extra bucks
you can always order a european one. But there is an apparent reason,
Canon didn't want to pay royalties to philips or so i'm told... which
woudl explain why I can get the ip3000 in america for $65 shipped but
the euro one would be usd$141 not including $52.00 shipping fee but
fortunatly no VAT.

They "can" do it but it requires diddling with the buttons and either
making a tray or ordering one, which is hard as the dealers don't deal
with things like credit cards or international shipping. I'm using an
epson tray with 2mm off each side and about 12mm off the nose. Canon
trays are sold on e-bay but for a very pretty penny. One can make one
out of cardboard in a pinch.

If your interested in the subject of CD printing on north american
Pixmas (ip3000/ip4000/ip5000/ip6000 mp750/760/780) refer to the
following links

http://pixma.cjb.net/ - "5 easy steps" has a nice photo of a done CD
http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/ "Pixma-faq CD-printing in the Americas"
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=61...
-I have one disc posted from the ip3000 there... might have to login-
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36...
huge thread started last october. Presently 38 pages.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:01:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

zakezuke wrote:
>>Thanks for the detailed explanation.
>>Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are
>>there good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?
>
>
> The ip3000 has CMY and Pigment black, no dye black. To me this was a
> cheap printer to buy while my epson was in the shop... and well it's
> kind of a keeper. My application for it was CD printing so I wasn't
> too worried about it.
>

The price of this printer is very attractive and performance perhapce
even exceeds my current needs. How does it handles CDs? Canon does not
say anything in the product descripton.
http://www.canon.ca/pdf/iP3000%20fact%20sheet%20ENG.pdf

TIA

SNTP
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 10:20:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

No need to talk to anyone else about this. Zakezuke was 100% correct. The
iP3000 will use CMY to create a composite black when in other than plain
paper mode. As Zake said the iP4000 has a dye based black which eliminates
using composite black.
--
Ron

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1120367939.996632.175390@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> Thanks for the detailed explanation.
>> Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are
>> there good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?
>
> The ip3000 has CMY and Pigment black, no dye black. To me this was a
> cheap printer to buy while my epson was in the shop... and well it's
> kind of a keeper. My application for it was CD printing so I wasn't
> too worried about it.
>
> You'll have to talk to someone wiser than my self but I was under the
> impression that the black nozzles were larger for the pigmented black
> than the nozzles for the dye black, which are 5pl and 2pl respectivly
> (assuming the concept diagram I saw was correct). I feel there would
> be an advantage going with the ip4000 with a dedicated black and a dye
> photo black.
>
> But hey.... don't want to do that.. ip3000 works just fine. Just
> expect photos with lots of shadow to have a flat black that looks like
> it's above the paper.
>
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:54:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

SNTP wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> As an alternative to the Canon IP5000 Fry's has a sale on the Canon
>> IP4000 with a net price of $79.95 after rebate.
>
>
> I just checked and this model uses 5 color printing. I am a total
> newbie with colors and still trying to grasp CMYK system. Five colors
> does not make my task easier. [BG]


It will do just fine for just about any purpose. The 5th color is black
pigmented ink used for text when plain paper is selected. You also have
a dye black for photos.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 12:54:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:WrExe.38411$J12.2321@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
> believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented black)
> in plain paper mode.

Well I don't think that can be completely true, because I've just printed 50
double sided A4 full colour glossy brochures, and my IP 4000 just reported
the 3E black pigment ink as running low.
July 3, 2005 12:54:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:42c71b1e$0$793$61c65585@un-2park-reader-02.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au...
>
> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> news:WrExe.38411$J12.2321@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>> My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
>> believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented black)
>> in plain paper mode.
>
> Well I don't think that can be completely true, because I've just printed
> 50 double sided A4 full colour glossy brochures, and my IP 4000 just
> reported the 3E black pigment ink as running low.

I did note that I have no experience with the Pixma line but was repeating
what someone had written. I was clear that I could be in error. I was
under the impression that the pigmented ink was only used with the plain
paper setting. Plus cleaning cycles that either the operator runs or the
printer automatically runs periodically.
>
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:10:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

zakezuke wrote:
>>¡¡THAT'S NOT FARE!! Canadians are getting mistreated again and for no
>>apparent reasons this time.[BG]
>
>
> This might be true. The feature is not officaly enabled in the
> Americas, or perhaps only north America. If you have a few extra bucks
> you can always order a european one. But there is an apparent reason,
> Canon didn't want to pay royalties to philips or so i'm told... which
> woudl explain why I can get the ip3000 in america for $65 shipped but
> the euro one would be usd$141 not including $52.00 shipping fee but
> fortunatly no VAT.
>
> They "can" do it but it requires diddling with the buttons and either
> making a tray or ordering one, which is hard as the dealers don't deal
> with things like credit cards or international shipping. I'm using an
> epson tray with 2mm off each side and about 12mm off the nose. Canon
> trays are sold on e-bay but for a very pretty penny. One can make one
> out of cardboard in a pinch.
>
> If your interested in the subject of CD printing on north american
> Pixmas (ip3000/ip4000/ip5000/ip6000 mp750/760/780) refer to the
> following links
>
> http://pixma.cjb.net/ - "5 easy steps" has a nice photo of a done CD
> http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/ "Pixma-faq CD-printing in the Americas"
> http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=61...
> -I have one disc posted from the ip3000 there... might have to login-
> http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36...
> huge thread started last october. Presently 38 pages.
>

Very interesting information.
Thanks,
SNTP
July 3, 2005 5:31:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> Probably something like this one.
>http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1...

Indeed. My modified epson tray works very well, though on the ip3000,
did require a manual alignment... seems my white marks were off by
-1.4mm and .5m, but given the fact that there were no accurate
measurements at the time I can't feel too badly. Those trays are free
to epson owners who request replacements, and e-bay for far less.
Otherwise cardboard from what i've seen works very well.

I've not tried taking an epson tray to a machineshop yet. It may sound
silly, and they might laugh at you, but given the cost of the e-bay
canon tray it's a cost effective alternative.

I'm holding out till the e-bay trays are at a buy me now price of
$30.00.
July 3, 2005 7:24:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Ron Cohen wrote:

>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote
>> You'll have to talk to someone wiser than my self but I was under the
>> impression that the black nozzles were larger for the pigmented black
>> than the nozzles for the dye black, which are 5pl and 2pl respectivly
>> (assuming the concept diagram I saw was correct). I feel there would
>> be an advantage going with the ip4000 with a dedicated black and a dye
>> photo black.

This is a common mistake concerning droplet size.

The photo black uses 5pl nozzles, as does all the other colours. The 2pl
size only applies to half of the magenta and cyan nozzles. The other
half of the cyan and magenta nozzles are 5pl.

The 2pl size is only used by the cyan and magenta to make a lighter
droplet to represent the light photo dye loads. That's how the four
colour printers produce results close to six colour printers.

>No need to talk to anyone else about this. Zakezuke was 100% correct. The
>iP3000 will use CMY to create a composite black when in other than plain
>paper mode. As Zake said the iP4000 has a dye based black which eliminates
>using composite black.

Actually the iP3000 uses the pigment black on photos as well if the
black level is 80% or higher where mixing of the dye and pigment inks
isn't much of an issue. With the Canon or similar resin papers, the
black is adsorbed deep into the paper just like the dye inks because the
carrier for both is water-based and the two mix well enough at that
level.

The iP4000 uses the photo black for images and gets a slightly better
mix on the paper, but it's not a dramatic difference until you get into
grayscales.

And even though the Canon black is pigment based in the iP3000, its
permanence is low and its black level is also low compared to HP inks,
so it smudges very easily, probably due to being water-based.

HP papers do not draw the ink below the paper surface very much, so the
pigment black tends to swell on the surface until it dries completely.
The HP black is also much darker and does not smudge as easily as the
Canon, but it still smudges.

Laser printers are the only way to go to get smudge-free black text.
July 3, 2005 8:00:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

> If using needles was messy, then how come those products are used in
> hospitals and medical clinics?

Because it's the only way to get liquid under the skin and into the
blood supply.

They are messy, this is fair comment. In hospitals most meds are clear
so when they spew them on the floor or carpet to get the air bubbles
out you can't see it, and they are only spewing a mc or two... and some
one will mop it up later. For home refilling this level of precision
isn't nessicary and you can always spew into a waste bin.

For printer use this isn't such a big deal, assuming you're using
something that doesn't require vacume filling. Those can be real
messy if the stopper becomes dislodged and you get color splatter
everywhere. This can be resolved by having the right sized syringe.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:02:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:8CGxe.2926$0V3.498@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>
> "Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:42c71b1e$0$793$61c65585@un-2park-reader-02.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au...
>>
>> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> news:WrExe.38411$J12.2321@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>>> My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
>>> believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented
>>> black) in plain paper mode.
>>
>> Well I don't think that can be completely true, because I've just printed
>> 50 double sided A4 full colour glossy brochures, and my IP 4000 just
>> reported the 3E black pigment ink as running low.
>
> I did note that I have no experience with the Pixma line but was repeating
> what someone had written. I was clear that I could be in error. I was
> under the impression that the pigmented ink was only used with the plain
> paper setting. Plus cleaning cycles that either the operator runs or the
> printer automatically runs periodically.
>>
>
Hey - I wasn't accusing you of lying! Just making an observation!
July 3, 2005 8:02:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:42c77f84$0$786$61c65585@un-2park-reader-02.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au...
>
> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> news:8CGxe.2926$0V3.498@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>>
>> "Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:42c71b1e$0$793$61c65585@un-2park-reader-02.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au...
>>>
>>> "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> news:WrExe.38411$J12.2321@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>>>> My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
>>>> believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented
>>>> black) in plain paper mode.
>>>
>>> Well I don't think that can be completely true, because I've just
>>> printed 50 double sided A4 full colour glossy brochures, and my IP 4000
>>> just reported the 3E black pigment ink as running low.
>>
>> I did note that I have no experience with the Pixma line but was
>> repeating what someone had written. I was clear that I could be in
>> error. I was under the impression that the pigmented ink was only used
>> with the plain paper setting. Plus cleaning cycles that either the
>> operator runs or the printer automatically runs periodically.
>>>
>>
> Hey - I wasn't accusing you of lying! Just making an observation!

I was not offended by your response. Just stating the fact that I didn't
have experience with these units. I didn't interpret your message as an
accusation - glad you corrected me. No problem.
>
>
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:04:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
news:_aCdnRpcgaqs4lrfRVn-pA@teksavvy.com...
> zakezuke wrote:
>>>Thanks for the detailed explanation.
>>>Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are
>>>there good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?
>>
>>
>> The ip3000 has CMY and Pigment black, no dye black. To me this was a
>> cheap printer to buy while my epson was in the shop... and well it's
>> kind of a keeper. My application for it was CD printing so I wasn't
>> too worried about it.
>>
>
> The price of this printer is very attractive and performance perhapce even
> exceeds my current needs. How does it handles CDs? Canon does not say
> anything in the product descripton.
> http://www.canon.ca/pdf/iP3000%20fact%20sheet%20ENG.pdf
>
> TIA
>
> SNTP

It doesn't handle CDs at all in Canada or elsewhere in North America.
Outside that continent the IP models print to CD.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:04:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Caitlin wrote:
>
> It doesn't handle CDs at all in Canada or elsewhere in North America.
> Outside that continent the IP models print to CD.
>

¡¡THAT'S NOT FARE!! Canadians are getting mistreated again and for no
apparent reasons this time.[BG]
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 9:51:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

zakezuke wrote:
>>Probably something like this one.
>>http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1...
>
> I've not tried taking an epson tray to a machineshop yet. It may sound
> silly, and they might laugh at you, but given the cost of the e-bay
> canon tray it's a cost effective alternative.
>
> I'm holding out till the e-bay trays are at a buy me now price of
> $30.00.
>

Yeah, it's a seller market right now.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:00:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Burt wrote:

>My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
>believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented black)
>in plain paper mode.
>
Wrong. It is the BCI-3eBK cart

> If you are using any of the photo paper settings (like
>the matte photo paper I mentioned) the only ink that will be used from that
>cart is with cleaning cycles. Someone with experience with that printer
>will be able to either verify or correct this info. I believe that Ron
>Cohen uses that printer and refills with Formulabs bulk ink
>. He can fill you in on the details.
>
>

Get you needles ready for the messy pain in the ass.

>"SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
>news:fN6dnZ51uZb-jVrfRVn-hA@teksavvy.com...
>
>
>>Thanks for the detailed explanation.
>>Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are there
>>good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>SNTP
>>
>>Burt wrote:
>>
>>
>>>The fifth cartridge is pigment based black which is used for text
>>>printing. The four colors you mention, CMYK are used when printing color
>>>images. Three-color printers are actually capable of printing all colors
>>>including black, but CMYK printers do a better job with photos and text
>>>as well. The fifth cart has been added for text documents and is
>>>probably more permanent.
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
>
July 4, 2005 1:00:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

measekite wrote:



Get you needles ready for the messy pain in the ass.

<------------------------------------------------->

What...? You stopped drinking ink and now you're going to inject it into
your ass?
We all know you're nuts but..com'on...bet that'll hurt!
Frank
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:02:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Burt wrote:

>"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:42c71b1e$0$793$61c65585@un-2park-reader-02.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au...
>
>
>>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>news:WrExe.38411$J12.2321@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>>
>>
>>>My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
>>>believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented black)
>>>in plain paper mode.
>>>
>>>
>>Well I don't think that can be completely true, because I've just printed
>>50 double sided A4 full colour glossy brochures, and my IP 4000 just
>>reported the 3E black pigment ink as running low.
>>
>>
>
>I did note that I have no experience with the Pixma line but was repeating
>what someone had written.
>

Polly want a cracker

> I was clear that I could be in error.
>

You usually are

>I was
>under the impression that the pigmented ink was only used with the plain
>paper setting.
>
DUH

> Plus cleaning cycles that either the operator runs or the
>printer automatically runs periodically.
>
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:03:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Caitlin wrote:

>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>news:8CGxe.2926$0V3.498@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
>>"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:42c71b1e$0$793$61c65585@un-2park-reader-02.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au...
>>
>>
>>>"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>>news:WrExe.38411$J12.2321@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>>>
>>>
>>>>My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
>>>>believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented
>>>>black) in plain paper mode.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>Well I don't think that can be completely true, because I've just printed
>>>50 double sided A4 full colour glossy brochures, and my IP 4000 just
>>>reported the 3E black pigment ink as running low.
>>>
>>>
>>I did note that I have no experience with the Pixma line but was repeating
>>what someone had written. I was clear that I could be in error. I was
>>under the impression that the pigmented ink was only used with the plain
>>paper setting. Plus cleaning cycles that either the operator runs or the
>>printer automatically runs periodically.
>>
>>
>Hey - I wasn't accusing you of lying! Just making an observation!
>
>
You should have

>
>
>
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:30:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
news:5mYxe.126$Tc6.21@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
> Burt wrote:
>
>>My experience with more recent canon printers is with my two i960's. I
>>believe that the IP4000 only uses the BCI-3 cartritidge (pigmented black)
>>in plain paper mode.
> Wrong. It is the BCI-3eBK cart

Huh? The BCI-3eBK is the pigmented black as stated by Burt above.


>
>> If you are using any of the photo paper settings (like the matte photo
>> paper I mentioned) the only ink that will be used from that cart is with
>> cleaning cycles. Someone with experience with that printer will be able
>> to either verify or correct this info. I believe that Ron Cohen uses
>> that printer and refills with Formulabs bulk ink . He can fill you in on
>> the details.
>>
>
> Get you needles ready for the messy pain in the ass.

If using needles was messy, then how come those products are used in
hospitals and medical clinics? It isn't messy for those who have at least a
minimum of motor skills and common sense. Actually, I've come up with a
totally different method of refilling that doesn't use syringes, is quicker
than conventional methods and eliminates the possibility of spills from open
ink bottles. It costs a little less than $3.00 to make. I'd be more than
happy to make a refilling set for you and send it to you for free just to
prove how easy refilling can be. Of course you'd also need to order some
good quality ink from a supplier who specifies the brand of ink they sell. I
know that you are well aware of at least one. To send you a set, I'll need a
good mailing address for you. Send me a private e-mail with that
information.

Ron


>
>>"SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
>>news:fN6dnZ51uZb-jVrfRVn-hA@teksavvy.com...
>>
>>>Thanks for the detailed explanation.
>>>Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are there
>>>good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>SNTP
>>>
>>>Burt wrote:
>>>
>>>>The fifth cartridge is pigment based black which is used for text
>>>>printing. The four colors you mention, CMYK are used when printing color
>>>>images. Three-color printers are actually capable of printing all colors
>>>>including black, but CMYK printers do a better job with photos and text
>>>>as well. The fifth cart has been added for text documents and is
>>>>probably more permanent.
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:39:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

measekite wrote:

I wish I could have served my country with honor like Burt, Frank, Art
and all the rest did. But they would never take a loser like me. Not
that I tried seeing as how I'm nothing but a complete coward and a real
idiot who is a moron.
I would hide behind my mom's dress if they ever tried to take me.

measekite
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:43:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

measekite wrote:


What you did was put on your stuffed shirt and be a grumpy old fart.
I don't know what that means but it's the best I could come up with
seeing how I'm so stupid.

measekite
!