Need advice on printer and paper

I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
probably prefer an ink jet printer.

I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
would be the most cost efficient.

Regards,

SNTP

jeff

SNTP <No@Spam.No> wrote in news:2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com:

> I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
> may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
> letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
> probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>
> I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
> would be the most cost efficient.

The printer and paper are insignificant cost factors compared to what
you will pay for ink. Typically, two sets of original brand ink cartridges
from Canon, Epson, HP or Lexmark cost far more than the printer. And on
some models they equal the cost of the printer or even cost MORE than the
printer!

Recommendation: refill with economical bulk ink (typically 8 oz bottles)
designed for your printer type. Don't use what's called Universal
ink, the kind they say 'works in every printer'. They may work, but may
give you poor results. There are several online sellers (even eBay) with
quality bulk inks and refilling equipment (syringes, plugs, etc). I've
been refilling with bulk inks for ages with no problems whatsoever and
quality that matches original inks. The Canon printer cartridges are by
far the easiest to refill. Get something like the iP4000 (the i560 is a
relatively poor, now obsolete model). The iP4000 is on sale everywhere
since the whole Canon line is about to be ugraded - again. This model is
their popular 'workhorse' printer and has had excellent reviews. Typically,
your cost will be about $1 per cartridge when using bulk.

You'll see many follow-up posts against refilling from the resident
troll who calls himself "Measekite". Ignore him totally and you'll do just
fine. Don't reply or ask him any questions. If you do, he knows he's got
you hooked. He doesn't know anything about bulk or refilling (he's never
done it). Just read some of his posts and you'll get the message that he's
only here to get off, pardon the expression. Jeff

How about a Canon ip3000? It has only 4 ink cartridges. Should cost you
less for the job and it may be more reliable for the same reason.

SNTP wrote:

> I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
> may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
> letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
> probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>
> I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
> would be the most cost efficient.
>
> Regards,
>
> SNTP

Stevelee, thanks for the help.

Anything other than Canon? I just bought Canon i560. On every photo it
replaces gray color with such amount of blue that photos look toxic. Any
attempts to reduce the amount of blue in the printout have no effect on
the printer.
Regards,

SNTP

Stevelee wrote:
> How about a Canon ip3000? It has only 4 ink cartridges. Should cost you
> less for the job and it may be more reliable for the same reason.
>
> SNTP wrote:
>
>> I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office.
>> They may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be
>> 1/2 letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I
>> woild probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>>
>> I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
>> would be the most cost efficient.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> SNTP

Canon IP5000

SNTP wrote:

> I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office.
> They may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be
> 1/2 letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I
> woild probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>
> I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
> would be the most cost efficient.
>
> Regards,
>
> SNTP

As an alternative to the Canon IP5000 Fry's has a sale on the Canon
IP4000 with a net price of $79.95 after rebate.

Jeff wrote:

>SNTP <No@Spam.No> wrote in news:2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com:
>

>>I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
>>may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
>>letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
>>probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>>
>>I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
>>would be the most cost efficient.
>>

> The printer and paper are insignificant cost factors compared to what
>you will pay for ink. Typically, two sets of original brand ink cartridges
>from Canon, Epson, HP or Lexmark cost far more than the printer. And on
>some models they equal the cost of the printer or even cost MORE than the
>printer!
>
> Recommendation: refill with economical bulk ink (typically 8 oz bottles)
>designed for your printer type.

If you want to take a chance on noname unbranded ink and have a pain in
the ass to possibly get a clogged head.

> Don't use what's called Universal
>ink, the kind they say 'works in every printer'. They may work, but may
>give you poor results. There are several online sellers (even eBay) with
>quality bulk inks and refilling equipment (syringes, plugs, etc). I've
>been refilling with bulk inks for ages with no problems whatsoever and
>quality that matches original inks.

For each person who has no problems that must be a dozen who do.

Burt wrote:

>Jeff. Measekite has a good idea on what he is talking about re aftermarket inks.
>He always spouts the same truths about clogs, noname inks, etc. Look for the
>posts from a few people who have reported success with select vendors and
>products. If you are interested in refilling cartridges email me

Of Course

>and I will
>give you some web site links to look at. I would reply here but I don't
>feel like starting up again with Measekite's informed responses.
>
>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>

>>Jeff wrote:

>>> The printer and paper are insignificant cost factors compared to what
>>>you will pay for ink. Typically, two sets of original brand ink
>>>cartridges
>>>

>>>from Canon, Epson, HP or Lexmark cost far more than the printer. And on
>>

>>>some models they equal the cost of the printer or even cost MORE than the
>>>printer!
>>> Recommendation: refill with economical bulk ink (typically 8 oz
>>>bottles) designed for your printer type.
>>>

>>If you want to take a chance on noname unbranded ink and have a pain in
>>the ass to possibly get a clogged head.
>>

>>>Don't use what's called Universal
>>>ink, the kind they say 'works in every printer'. They may work, but may
>>>give you poor results. There are several online sellers (even eBay) with
>>>quality bulk inks and refilling equipment (syringes, plugs, etc). I've
>>>been refilling with bulk inks for ages with no problems whatsoever and
>>>quality that matches original inks.
>>>

>>For each person who has no problems that must be a dozen who do.
>>

>>>The Canon printer cartridges are by far the easiest to refill. Get
>>>something like the iP4000 (the i560 is a relatively poor, now obsolete
>>>model). The iP4000 is on sale everywhere since the whole Canon line is
>>>about to be ugraded - again. This model is
>>>their popular 'workhorse' printer and has had excellent reviews.
>>>Typically, your cost will be about $1 per cartridge when using bulk.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

>>> For each person who has no problems that must be a dozen who do.

That's not true. You know that's not true. Everyone who post here knows
that's not true. Everyone who uses after market inks knows that's not
true. But you don't use after market inks so you cannot say one way or
the other what the truth is.
So why on earth do you keep posting your untruths about the truth?

Frank

BURT

Jeff - in case you are a newcomer to the NG you can now see Measekite's
stupid pranks with changing my posts. Classic Junior High sense of humor.

"SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
> Stevelee, thanks for the help.
>
> Anything other than Canon? I just bought Canon i560. On every photo it
> replaces gray color with such amount of blue that photos look toxic. Any
> attempts to reduce the amount of blue in the printout have no effect on
> the printer.
> Regards,
>
> SNTP

Sounds like the printer might be faulty. I've got an IP4000 and am printing
several 100 full colour brochures on it currently with 1/2 price Kodak
double sided glossy paper and G&G inks. Working fine (though the Kodak paper
does not reproduce well - it's good enough for brochures)

Caitlin wrote:

>"SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
>

>> Stevelee, thanks for the help.
>>
>>Anything other than Canon? I just bought Canon i560. On every photo it
>>replaces gray color with such amount of blue that photos look toxic. Any
>>attempts to reduce the amount of blue in the printout have no effect on
>>the printer.
>>Regards,
>>
>>SNTP
>>

>Sounds like the printer might be faulty. I've got an IP4000 and am printing
>several 100 full colour brochures on it currently with 1/2 price Kodak
>double sided glossy paper and G&G inks. Working fine (though the Kodak paper
>does not reproduce well - it's good enough for brochures)

G&G does not make inks.

ME

In message <2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com>, SNTP <No@Spam.No>
writes
>I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office.
>They may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be
>1/2 letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I
>woild probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>
>I would appreciate very much any advise on what printer and what paper
>would be the most cost efficient.

Are they going to get wet?

--
Timothy

I guess they may on a rainy day, like any flyer.

me@privacy.net wrote:
> In message <2O6dnRYW3Ne6X1jfRVn-rg@teksavvy.com>, SNTP <No@Spam.No> writes
>
> Are they going to get wet?

zakezuke

> I just checked and this model uses 5 color printing. I am a total newbie
> with colors and still trying to grasp CMYK system. Five colors does not
> make my task easier. [BG]

It's just a 4 color CMYK printer. It has two blacks, one for text and
one for graphics. It's actually a nice feature.

Besides it doesn't get funky till you get those printers with red,
blue, and green inks, then it starts getting confusing.

Win xp 64 support is presently lacking. If your running xp pro you get
a free upgrade to win xp pro 64 till the end of july from microsoft,
unless your an OEM user than this is up to the vender, but if you are
even considering this the canon consumer models near as i'm aware don't
support juding from the amount i'm seeing at goodwill lately.

But yea either frys or newegg, though frys is likely cheeper when
taking tax into account.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828102154

Frank wrote:

> That's true. You know that's true. Everyone who post here knows that's
> true. Everyone who uses after market inks knows that's true. But even
> if you don't use after market inks so you can say one way or the other
> what the truth is.
> So why on earth do you keep posting your truths about the truth?
>
> Frank

Because I read about the problems here Doe Doe

IP5000 is way overkill for "a few hundred flyers at a time in my home
office. They may include some photos, but nothing special"

The IP3000 should be perfectly adequate.

Caitlin wrote:

>IP5000 is way overkill for "a few hundred flyers at a time in my home
>office. They may include some photos, but nothing special"
>
>The IP3000 should be perfectly adequate.

The IP3000 does not make sense today when you can get the IP4000 for
less money.

measekite wrote:
> As an alternative to the Canon IP5000 Fry's has a sale on the Canon
> IP4000 with a net price of $79.95 after rebate.

I just checked and this model uses 5 color printing. I am a total newbie
with colors and still trying to grasp CMYK system. Five colors does not
make my task easier. [BG]

"SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
> I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
> may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
> letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
> probably prefer an ink jet printer.

Personally for that quantity I'd get them printed for me. Buy the inkjet
anyway.

I checked at Staples, they charge CDN$0.70 a page. A couple of hundred
pages will pay for the printer and the ink. And after all the printer
will stay with me.[BG]

CWatters wrote:
> "SNTP" <No@Spam.No> wrote in message
>
>>I'd like to print a few hundred flyers at a time in my home office. They
>>may include some photos, but nothing special. I'd like them to be 1/2
>>letter paper size and on heavy paper, like 64 lb. At this point I woild
>>probably prefer an ink jet printer.
>

> Personally for that quantity I'd get them printed for me. Buy the inkjet
> anyway.

BURT

The fifth cartridge is pigment based black which is used for text printing.
The four colors you mention, CMYK are used when printing color images.
Three-color printers are actually capable of printing all colors including
black, but CMYK printers do a better job with photos and text as well. The
fifth cart has been added for text documents and is probably more permanent.
Six color printers include the CMYK carts plus a photo cyan and photo
magenta with lighter dye loads to blend colors more smoothly. I have read
that the light dye load inks have a tendency to fade more quickly than the
others. I have a Canon i960, a six color printer, which makes beautiful
photo prints and very good text as well. Now Canon has eight-color
printers with the same carts as the i960 plus a red and a green cart for
more vivid reds and greens. I don't know what type of paper you are
interested in using for your fliers or if you want to print on both sides.
Plain paper doesn't have much weight, nor does it print very vivid color
images. It isn't too bad for colored text or graphics (if you aren't
looking for a really professional graphic image.) Coated papers are more
expensive but print much better color images. Epson makes a reasonably
priced coated matte paper and also makes a double sided coated matte paper
for printing both sides. I use this paper for greeting cards. There are
also coated papers that are lighter weight for brochures and catalog pages.
Typical is Kodak matte inkjet photo letter paper. I don't know what coated
papers are available in larger quantities at lower price. In the San
Francisco area the large office supplies (office depot, office max, staples)
sometimes have two-for-one sales on photo papers. Presently OfficeMax has
two-for-one pricing on all of their papers.

Canon ink cartridges are the easiest to refill if you really want to save
money on supplies. Don't pay any attention to Measekite. He will follow
this message to denounce the aftermarket inks, cartridges, vendors, and me!
There are plenty of people on this newsgroup who have posted their success
with these products and can help you if you want more information. Rather
than getting into a verbal posting battle with Measekite I will answer
emails with more detail on this issue.

> measekite wrote:
>> As an alternative to the Canon IP5000 Fry's has a sale on the Canon
>> IP4000 with a net price of $79.95 after rebate.
>
> I just checked and this model uses 5 color printing. I am a total newbie
> with colors and still trying to grasp CMYK system. Five colors does not
> make my task easier. [BG]

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Every extra cartridge adds to the pain when it comes to refill. Are
there good printers with 4 CMYK cartridges only?

TIA

SNTP

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 08:09:45 -0400, SNTP <No@Spam.No> wrote:

>I guess they may on a rainy day, like any flyer.

In that case, either get a laser (which, btw, would be far more cost
efficient) or get them printed for you. Print with a Canon and they
won't last past the first raindrop.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com