cannot see shared folders of one computer

I have the following home network problem: WinXP Home SP1 on both
machines, connected through a router, home network wizard run on both
machines BUT machine2 can no longer see the shared folders of
machine1. However, machine1 connects to machine2 just fine. The
network was working perfectly some 2 weeks ago.

Both machines can "ping" each other no problems and "ifconfig /all"
shows everything is working well. The appropriate folders are shared
as they should be. Computer names and workgroups are as they should
be. When I attempt to connect to machine1 from machine2 in View
Workgroup Computers I get an error message "\\machine1 is not
accessible. You do not have permission to access this network
resource". I have worked through the network troubleshooter to no
avail.

I am uncertain as to how to proceed from here. Any help greatly
appreciated.

Larry Gagnon
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot shared folders computer

    Sounds to me like you are logged into machine 1 as a user that has
    permissions on machine 2. But the user you are logged into machine 2 as
    is not present, or has limited permissions on machine 1.

    When file sharing in a workgroup, the same users with the same passwords
    need to be set up on each PC.

    Larry Gagnon wrote:
    > I have the following home network problem: WinXP Home SP1 on both
    > machines, connected through a router, home network wizard run on both
    > machines BUT machine2 can no longer see the shared folders of
    > machine1. However, machine1 connects to machine2 just fine. The
    > network was working perfectly some 2 weeks ago.
    >
    > Both machines can "ping" each other no problems and "ifconfig /all"
    > shows everything is working well. The appropriate folders are shared
    > as they should be. Computer names and workgroups are as they should
    > be. When I attempt to connect to machine1 from machine2 in View
    > Workgroup Computers I get an error message "\\machine1 is not
    > accessible. You do not have permission to access this network
    > resource". I have worked through the network troubleshooter to no
    > avail.
    >
    > I am uncertain as to how to proceed from here. Any help greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Larry Gagnon

Computers Windows XP