DHCP server keeps stopping

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

The error message I'm getting is:

Source: DhcpServer
EventID: 1053

The DHCP/BINL service on this Small Business Server has encountered another
server on this network with IP Address, 192.168.168.1, belonging to the
domain: .

This gets followed by:

The DHCP/BINL service on this computer is shutting down. See the previous
event log messages for reasons

I manually start DHCP Server and it stops pretty quickly.

And keeps users from logging on, etc.

We have a PowerEdge, SBS 2000, 2 NICs, one going to ISP's router. I've
already put the question in to the ISP if they've got the router or anything
assigned to that IP address, they claim innocence.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance,

Matthew

news.microsoft.com wrote:

> The error message I'm getting is:
>
> Source: DhcpServer
> EventID: 1053
>
> The DHCP/BINL service on this Small Business Server has encountered
> another server on this network with IP Address, 192.168.168.1,
> belonging to the domain: .
>

> This gets followed by:
>
> The DHCP/BINL service on this computer is shutting down. See the
> previous event log messages for reasons
>
> I manually start DHCP Server and it stops pretty quickly.
>
> And keeps users from logging on, etc.
>
> We have a PowerEdge, SBS 2000, 2 NICs, one going to ISP's router.
> I've already put the question in to the ISP if they've got the router
> or anything assigned to that IP address, they claim innocence.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance,

There's another device on your LAN acting as a DHCP server - with
address 192.168.168.1 (according to the log extract you posted).

Fancy Phone PBX, perhaps? Or hardware firewall, or Wireless Access
Point? Anything new added recently?

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Do you have a router or anything that could be acting as a DHCP server
anywhere on your network (including the ISP's router)? If so, that's the
cause of your problem. Assuming you have a fixed IP on your Internet NIC,
you could try unbinding DHCP from that NIC, which should fix it if it's the
ISP's router.

"news.microsoft.com" <applebaumNOSPAM@sa-intl.org> wrote in message
> The error message I'm getting is:
>
> Source: DhcpServer
> EventID: 1053
>
> The DHCP/BINL service on this Small Business Server has encountered
> another
> server on this network with IP Address, 192.168.168.1, belonging to the
> domain: .
>

> This gets followed by:
>
> The DHCP/BINL service on this computer is shutting down. See the previous
> event log messages for reasons
>
> I manually start DHCP Server and it stops pretty quickly.
>
> And keeps users from logging on, etc.
>
> We have a PowerEdge, SBS 2000, 2 NICs, one going to ISP's router. I've
> already put the question in to the ISP if they've got the router or
> anything
> assigned to that IP address, they claim innocence.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance,
>
> Matthew

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Which device has the IP 192.168.168.1?

--
Javier [SBS MVP]

<< SBS ROCKS!!! >>

"news.microsoft.com" <applebaumNOSPAM@sa-intl.org> wrote in message
> The error message I'm getting is:
>
> Source: DhcpServer
> EventID: 1053
>
> The DHCP/BINL service on this Small Business Server has encountered
> another
> server on this network with IP Address, 192.168.168.1, belonging to the
> domain: .
>

> This gets followed by:
>
> The DHCP/BINL service on this computer is shutting down. See the previous
> event log messages for reasons
>
> I manually start DHCP Server and it stops pretty quickly.
>
> And keeps users from logging on, etc.
>
> We have a PowerEdge, SBS 2000, 2 NICs, one going to ISP's router. I've
> already put the question in to the ISP if they've got the router or
> anything
> assigned to that IP address, they claim innocence.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance,
>
> Matthew

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Nothing at all new added. A few new workstations, XP Pro. A few more users
might be logging on remotely using VPN.

Some new laptops, which also have wireless cards that pick up other
(firewalled) networks in the building, but they're not even on right now.

"Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <steve.foster@picamar.co.uk> wrote in message
> news.microsoft.com wrote:
>
> > The error message I'm getting is:
> >
> > Source: DhcpServer
> > EventID: 1053
> >
> > The DHCP/BINL service on this Small Business Server has encountered
> > another server on this network with IP Address, 192.168.168.1,
> > belonging to the domain: .
> >

> > This gets followed by:
> >
> > The DHCP/BINL service on this computer is shutting down. See the
> > previous event log messages for reasons
> >
> > I manually start DHCP Server and it stops pretty quickly.
> >
> > And keeps users from logging on, etc.
> >
> > We have a PowerEdge, SBS 2000, 2 NICs, one going to ISP's router.
> > I've already put the question in to the ISP if they've got the router
> > or anything assigned to that IP address, they claim innocence.
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance,
>
> There's another device on your LAN acting as a DHCP server - with
> address 192.168.168.1 (according to the log extract you posted).
>
> Fancy Phone PBX, perhaps? Or hardware firewall, or Wireless Access
> Point? Anything new added recently?
>
> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

None that I'm aware of.

"Javier Gomez [SBS MVP]" <javier_gomez@REMOVE.THIS.engineer.com> wrote in
message news:e7idMO0nEHA.2172@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Which device has the IP 192.168.168.1?
>
> --
> Javier [SBS MVP]
>
> << SBS ROCKS!!! >>
>
> "news.microsoft.com" <applebaumNOSPAM@sa-intl.org> wrote in message
> > The error message I'm getting is:
> >
> > Source: DhcpServer
> > EventID: 1053
> >
> > The DHCP/BINL service on this Small Business Server has encountered
> > another
> > server on this network with IP Address, 192.168.168.1, belonging to the
> > domain: .
> >

> > This gets followed by:
> >
> > The DHCP/BINL service on this computer is shutting down. See the
previous
> > event log messages for reasons
> >
> > I manually start DHCP Server and it stops pretty quickly.
> >
> > And keeps users from logging on, etc.
> >
> > We have a PowerEdge, SBS 2000, 2 NICs, one going to ISP's router. I've
> > already put the question in to the ISP if they've got the router or
> > anything
> > assigned to that IP address, they claim innocence.
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Matthew

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Try pinging that address (or maybe connecting/disconnecting stuff)... if its
in the log, then it must be there somewhere.

--
Javier [SBS MVP]

<< SBS ROCKS!!! >>

"Matthew" <applebaumNOSPAM@sa-intl.org> wrote in message
> None that I'm aware of.
>

> "Javier Gomez [SBS MVP]" <javier_gomez@REMOVE.THIS.engineer.com> wrote in
> message news:e7idMO0nEHA.2172@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Which device has the IP 192.168.168.1?
>>
>> --
>> Javier [SBS MVP]
>>
>> << SBS ROCKS!!! >>
>>
>> "news.microsoft.com" <applebaumNOSPAM@sa-intl.org> wrote in message
>> > The error message I'm getting is:
>> >
>> > Source: DhcpServer
>> > EventID: 1053
>> >
>> > The DHCP/BINL service on this Small Business Server has encountered
>> > another
>> > server on this network with IP Address, 192.168.168.1, belonging to
>> > the
>> > domain: .
>> >

>> > This gets followed by:
>> >
>> > The DHCP/BINL service on this computer is shutting down. See the
> previous
>> > event log messages for reasons
>> >
>> > I manually start DHCP Server and it stops pretty quickly.
>> >
>> > And keeps users from logging on, etc.
>> >
>> > We have a PowerEdge, SBS 2000, 2 NICs, one going to ISP's router. I've
>> > already put the question in to the ISP if they've got the router or
>> > anything
>> > assigned to that IP address, they claim innocence.
>> >
>> > Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > Matthew

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

The ISP is claiming that they've disabled the DHCP on their router.

I do have a fixed IP on the internet NIC. How would I unbind DHCP from it?

Thanks!

"Dave Nickason [SBS MVP]" <gwdibble@NOSPAM.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> Do you have a router or anything that could be acting as a DHCP server
> anywhere on your network (including the ISP's router)? If so, that's the
> cause of your problem. Assuming you have a fixed IP on your Internet NIC,
> you could try unbinding DHCP from that NIC, which should fix it if it's
the
> ISP's router.
>
> "news.microsoft.com" <applebaumNOSPAM@sa-intl.org> wrote in message
> > The error message I'm getting is:
> >
> > Source: DhcpServer
> > EventID: 1053
> >
> > The DHCP/BINL service on this Small Business Server has encountered
> > another
> > server on this network with IP Address, 192.168.168.1, belonging to the
> > domain: .
> >

> > This gets followed by:
> >
> > The DHCP/BINL service on this computer is shutting down. See the
previous
> > event log messages for reasons
> >
> > I manually start DHCP Server and it stops pretty quickly.
> >
> > And keeps users from logging on, etc.
> >
> > We have a PowerEdge, SBS 2000, 2 NICs, one going to ISP's router. I've
> > already put the question in to the ISP if they've got the router or
> > anything
> > assigned to that IP address, they claim innocence.
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Matthew

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

I get no reply when I ping it.

Should I rerun ICW?

"Javier Gomez [SBS MVP]" <javier_gomez@REMOVE.THIS.engineer.com> wrote in
message news:%23wa0Ve0nEHA.3072@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Try pinging that address (or maybe connecting/disconnecting stuff)... if
its
> in the log, then it must be there somewhere.
>
> --
> Javier [SBS MVP]
>
> << SBS ROCKS!!! >>
>
> "Matthew" <applebaumNOSPAM@sa-intl.org> wrote in message
> > None that I'm aware of.
> >

> > "Javier Gomez [SBS MVP]" <javier_gomez@REMOVE.THIS.engineer.com> wrote
in
> > message news:e7idMO0nEHA.2172@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> Which device has the IP 192.168.168.1?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Javier [SBS MVP]
> >>
> >> << SBS ROCKS!!! >>
> >>
> >> "news.microsoft.com" <applebaumNOSPAM@sa-intl.org> wrote in message

> > previous

I've

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

When I do an IPCONFIG on a workstation that's not able to connect to the
network, the Default Gateway comes up as 192.168.168.1, which is the address
giving our DHCP server problems...

What does this mean??

Thanks!!

Matthew

"Javier Gomez [SBS MVP]" <javier_gomez@REMOVE.THIS.engineer.com> wrote in
message news:e7idMO0nEHA.2172@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Which device has the IP 192.168.168.1?
>
> --
> Javier [SBS MVP]
>
> << SBS ROCKS!!! >>
>
> "news.microsoft.com" <applebaumNOSPAM@sa-intl.org> wrote in message
> > The error message I'm getting is:
> >
> > Source: DhcpServer
> > EventID: 1053
> >
> > The DHCP/BINL service on this Small Business Server has encountered
> > another
> > server on this network with IP Address, 192.168.168.1, belonging to the
> > domain: .
> >

> > This gets followed by:
> >
> > The DHCP/BINL service on this computer is shutting down. See the
previous
> > event log messages for reasons
> >
> > I manually start DHCP Server and it stops pretty quickly.
> >
> > And keeps users from logging on, etc.
> >
> > We have a PowerEdge, SBS 2000, 2 NICs, one going to ISP's router. I've
> > already put the question in to the ISP if they've got the router or
> > anything
> > assigned to that IP address, they claim innocence.
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Matthew

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Even if the DHCP were activated... this is inconsequential if the router is
connected to the external NIC.

--

> The ISP is claiming that they've disabled the DHCP on their router.
>
> I do have a fixed IP on the internet NIC. How would I unbind DHCP from
> it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Dave Nickason [SBS MVP]" <gwdibble@NOSPAM.frontiernet.net> wrote in
> message
>> Do you have a router or anything that could be acting as a DHCP server
>> anywhere on your network (including the ISP's router)? If so, that's the
>> cause of your problem. Assuming you have a fixed IP on your Internet
>> NIC,
>> you could try unbinding DHCP from that NIC, which should fix it if it's
> the
>> ISP's router.
>>
>> "news.microsoft.com" <applebaumNOSPAM@sa-intl.org> wrote in message
>> > The error message I'm getting is:
>> >
>> > Source: DhcpServer
>> > EventID: 1053
>> >
>> > The DHCP/BINL service on this Small Business Server has encountered
>> > another
>> > server on this network with IP Address, 192.168.168.1, belonging to
>> > the
>> > domain: .
>> >

>> > This gets followed by:
>> >
>> > The DHCP/BINL service on this computer is shutting down. See the
> previous
>> > event log messages for reasons
>> >
>> > I manually start DHCP Server and it stops pretty quickly.
>> >
>> > And keeps users from logging on, etc.
>> >
>> > We have a PowerEdge, SBS 2000, 2 NICs, one going to ISP's router. I've
>> > already put the question in to the ISP if they've got the router or
>> > anything
>> > assigned to that IP address, they claim innocence.
>> >
>> > Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > Matthew

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

There must be some device acting as DHCP inside the local lan. Can you ping
192.168.0.1 from that PC?

--

> When I do an IPCONFIG on a workstation that's not able to connect to the
> network, the Default Gateway comes up as 192.168.168.1, which is the
> address
> giving our DHCP server problems...
>
> What does this mean??
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Matthew
>
> "Javier Gomez [SBS MVP]" <javier_gomez@REMOVE.THIS.engineer.com> wrote in
> message news:e7idMO0nEHA.2172@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Which device has the IP 192.168.168.1?
>>
>> --
>> Javier [SBS MVP]
>>
>> << SBS ROCKS!!! >>
>>
>> "news.microsoft.com" <applebaumNOSPAM@sa-intl.org> wrote in message
>> > The error message I'm getting is:
>> >
>> > Source: DhcpServer
>> > EventID: 1053
>> >
>> > The DHCP/BINL service on this Small Business Server has encountered
>> > another
>> > server on this network with IP Address, 192.168.168.1, belonging to
>> > the
>> > domain: .
>> >

>> > This gets followed by:
>> >
>> > The DHCP/BINL service on this computer is shutting down. See the
> previous
>> > event log messages for reasons
>> >
>> > I manually start DHCP Server and it stops pretty quickly.
>> >
>> > And keeps users from logging on, etc.
>> >
>> > We have a PowerEdge, SBS 2000, 2 NICs, one going to ISP's router. I've
>> > already put the question in to the ISP if they've got the router or
>> > anything
>> > assigned to that IP address, they claim innocence.
>> >
>> > Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > Matthew

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

I meant 192.168.168.1.

--
Javier [SBS MVP]

<< SBS ROCKS!!! >>

"Javier Gomez [SBS MVP]" <javier_gomez@REMOVE.THIS.engineer.com> wrote in
message news:OR7UGr0nEHA.2140@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> There must be some device acting as DHCP inside the local lan. Can you
> ping 192.168.0.1 from that PC?
>
> --
> Javier [SBS MVP]
>
> << SBS ROCKS!!! >>
>
> "Matthew" <applebaumNOSPAM@sa-intl.org> wrote in message
>> When I do an IPCONFIG on a workstation that's not able to connect to the
>> network, the Default Gateway comes up as 192.168.168.1, which is the
>> address
>> giving our DHCP server problems...
>>
>> What does this mean??
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Matthew
>>
>> "Javier Gomez [SBS MVP]" <javier_gomez@REMOVE.THIS.engineer.com> wrote in
>> message news:e7idMO0nEHA.2172@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> Which device has the IP 192.168.168.1?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Javier [SBS MVP]
>>>
>>> << SBS ROCKS!!! >>
>>>
>>> "news.microsoft.com" <applebaumNOSPAM@sa-intl.org> wrote in message

>> previous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000,microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Sorry, there actually was a recently installed device. I put a (Microsoft
brand) Wireless Base Station in our office about two weeks ago.

I just took it off the network, and I'm able to restart DHCP services and
they're still running (after 15 minutes)!!

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the incomplete information.

Only problem now is one laptop can't log on, but that's better than we were
15 minutes ago.

Thanks again!

Matthew