AMD CPU Prices 15 August

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Unforturnately the FX-62 is still overpriced at $829 because a non overclocked Core 2 Duo E6600 can equal or beat the FX-62 in most of the benchmarks that I've seen for only $340-$400. Of course the E6600 is out of stock in most places.

So I guess this s highway robbery and should be illegal:

Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 965 Presler 1066MHz FSB 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
$1,048.99

In Stock - (limit 5 per customer)
Free Three Day Shipping (Not available in HI, AK and PR) Customer

From here:

Linkage!

What is it with the double standard? They are charging more for the 965EE which gets killed by the 4200+. The 3800+ even beats it in A FEW benchies.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Unforturnately the FX-62 is still overpriced at $829 because a non overclocked Core 2 Duo E6600 can equal or beat the FX-62 in most of the benchmarks that I've seen for only $340-$400. Of course the E6600 is out of stock in most places.

Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 965 Presler 1066MHz FSB 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
$1,048.99

From here:

Linkage!

What is it with the double standard? They are charging more for the 965EE which gets killed by the 4200+. The 3800+ even beats it in A FEW benchies.

$1,048.99

From here:

Linkage!

I don't think anyone in their right mind would pay a that much for the 965EE. The focus now is on Core 2 Duo since it is Intel's current generation CPU. Unfortunately for the moment their only competition is the K8 series and it is growing long in the tooth, just like Intel's Pentium 4 architechure. Maybe by this time next year K8L will be available so that up-to-date architectures can be compared to see who's CPU will be more efficient.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would pay a that much for the 965EE. The focus now is on Core 2 Duo since it is Intel's current generation CPU. Unfortunately for the moment their only competition is the K8 series and it is growing long in the tooth, just like Intel's Pentium 4 architechure. Maybe by this time next year K8L will be available so that up-to-date architectures can be compared to see who's CPU will be more efficient.

I have always disliked this argument --- it's not fair to compare new to old. However, to make a point -- it would only be fair to compare K8L to 45 nm penryn, so that would need to be done in Q3/Q4 07, then it would be new to new, by this time next year Core 2 will be old. :wink:

I actually forgot about Penryn. While Penryn is expected to coming out next year, there is no change to the architecture so I think my original statement of comparing a 1 year old Conroe to K8L is still valid. Penryn will be a die shrink to 45nm and will use High-k dielectrics instead of Silicon Dioxide gate dielectrics. So there will be a change in the manufacturing process.

The die shrink will mean lower power consumption (usually) and lower cost per CPU for Intel. I don't know what the significance of High-k dielectrics is though.