AMD 4x4

Does anybody have any info on the 4x4 setup?

Will this only work with FX cpu? and when will this system hit the shelves?
74 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Quote:

Yes it will probably only work with FX processors. Thats why I think AMD hasn't lowered the prices on them like the rest of the line up. It will hit shelves I believe H1 of 07, and i think possibly Q1 but i'm not sure.
  2. Quote:

I started a thread on this some time ago:Link :lol:
    To the best of my knowledge, AMD hope to launch it before the end of 2006.
  3. Quote:

Probably won't launch until Q1 2007, around the same time as Intel's Quad Core (Core 2 Quad?).

It will not work with your FX CPU (940/939). It will only work with AM2/AM3 CPU's.
  4. I don't think there are any 940pin FX's other than AM2 but you included that in your "what won't work" thing. Do you mean optertrons??
  5. Quote:

It will not work with your FX CPU (940/939). It will only work with AM2/AM3 CPU's.

I am not sure it will work with ALL AM2/AM3 CPUs-it depends on how many HT links there are on the CPUs. Even the AM2 Opterons have only one HT link-according to the AMD website. For a DP system, you need at least two HT links on each processor. :lol:
  6. my guess would be Core 2 Quadro

Quote:

Probably won't launch until Q1 2007, around the same time as Intel's Quad Core (Core 2 Quad?).

7. What I've heard is that Kentsfield will be branded as a Core 2 Extreme.

I've also heard a rumor that AMD wants to change the name of 4x4 to "Quad-Father."
    And finally, another rumor that says AMD is working on an "8x8" solution of sorts. Just speculation, of course.

Quote:
    The 4x4 platform will place two physical sockets on a motherboard, connected by AMD's Direct Connect architecture. Mounted on each socket will be an AMD dual-core processor (not necessarily an AMD Athlon64 X2, according to an AMD representative), for a total of four cores. An eight-core "8X8" program will roll out in 2007, executives said, most likely based on two physical processors containing four virtual processor cores.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1988736,00.asp
  8. Quote:
    I don't think there are any 940pin FX's other than AM2 but you included that in your "what won't work" thing. Do you mean optertrons??

The first AMD AthlonFX's used 940 Pins. The extra pin was for ECC registered DRAM.

Here's one for sale
  9. Quote:
    I don't think there are any 940pin FX's other than AM2 but you included that in your "what won't work" thing. Do you mean optertrons??

The first AMD AthlonFX's used 940 Pins. The extra pin was for ECC registered DRAM.

Here's one for sale

Oh ok, i wasn't sure. 8)
  10. Yes that would be an good explanation why the FX62 has,t dropped in price.
    Quote:

Yes it will probably only work with FX processors. Thats why I think AMD hasn't lowered the prices on them like the rest of the line up. It will hit shelves I believe H1 of 07, and i think possibly Q1 but i'm not sure.
  11. Quote:

According to the latest read from AMD it will be ready for XMAS.

Yaaaayyyyyyyy!
  12. Quote:

Here is the roadmap:
  13. Sock puppet where can I download my patch from MS and my bios update for RHT?
  14. Alot of the other things you have said about 4X4 make sense. When 4X4 does hit shelves I will be very angry if someone dares say that having the best of the best Cpus matters all of a sudden (some very pro AMD people said Conroe isnt what gamers need, you can get by with an X2). I doubt 4X4 is a response to conroe, more likey its againt kensfield. Aftert all, according to AMD its going after the high end, saying other wise is like saying FX-62 was a response to a Pentium D 805! In a few months it may realy not matter at all, its so close to quad cores its realy more of a stop gap.
  15. Quote:
    did you guys see apples new quad core system?

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

seems amd is way late on the idea
    I still dont own a mac but this system looks bad a$$

It's not the same thing as 4x4; It's just a dual CPU platform and I know them to exist at least since the pentium Pro, without socket-to-socket link. 4x4 should have an operation close to a true quad core.
    However,2xcore2, "killer graphics"; it's not that I didn't sigh after opening your link :D
  16. Well friends, I have more details on 4X4:

1. 4X4 is about taking back the performance crown from C2E. As AMD dont have any intermediate solution to counter Intel C2E, AMD is taking advantage of their DCA and HyperTransport.
    2. 4X4 comes in Socekt F (not AM2). AMD will launch around 3 versions of 4X4 during the introduction. I think the speeds will be 2.4,2.6 and 2.8 during the launch.
    3. They will launch by end of Q3 or early Q4 2006. Not in 2007.
    4. 4X4 will be best solution for enthu segment, as they can upgrade from DC to QC in 2007. 8 Cores next year....multi threaded games will rock. if atall they are ready.
  17. Quote:
    Alot of the other things you have said about 4X4 make sense. When 4X4 does hit shelves I will be very angry if someone dares say that having the best of the best Cpus matters all of a sudden (some very pro AMD people said Conroe isnt what gamers need, you can get by with an X2). I doubt 4X4 is a response to conroe, more likey its againt kensfield. Aftert all, according to AMD its going after the high end, saying other wise is like saying FX-62 was a response to a Pentium D 805! In a few months it may realy not matter at all, its so close to quad cores its realy more of a stop gap.

I have to disagree with you there. It seems to me that AMD is doing this to further the platform. It is already said that X2 3600+ will be the high volume chip for AMD and will hopefuly replace Sempron.

They seem to be streamlining in order to get products liek this out at a good price. I've already signed up for it. I find it funny how when they did things like this before - HTX, IMC, AMD64, it wasn't in response to Intel. Now because after 3 years Intel is not melting IMacs and is on par for gaming everything is a knee jerk.

Think about it.
  18. Quote:

2. 4X4 comes in Socekt F (not AM2)

Socket F and AM2 are the same thing :wink:
  19. I thought F socket was for the new opteron. :roll:
  20. Quote:
    I dont know if we'll ever see 4x4. AMD already anounced they will release quad cores by 1st half 2007. You may see a board that supports dual quad core cpu's which would be even better. :lol:

I think we will see it, it,s a good transition to the quad core and when they come out you can upgrade the 4x4 to 8x8 with dual quad cores as you said. :twisted:
  21. Quote:
    I dont know if we'll ever see 4x4. AMD already anounced they will release quad cores by 1st half 2007. You may see a board that supports dual quad core cpu's which would be even better. :lol:

Sure we will see it because it will become 8X4 with the new quad cores :twisted: , at most you will need a bios update
  22. Socket F - 1207 pins
    Socket AM2 - 940 pins

Not the same thing...
  23. Quote:
    Alot of the other things you have said about 4X4 make sense. When 4X4 does hit shelves I will be very angry if someone dares say that having the best of the best Cpus matters all of a sudden (some very pro AMD people said Conroe isnt what gamers need, you can get by with an X2). I doubt 4X4 is a response to conroe, more likey its againt kensfield. Aftert all, according to AMD its going after the high end, saying other wise is like saying FX-62 was a response to a Pentium D 805! In a few months it may realy not matter at all, its so close to quad cores its realy more of a stop gap.

I have to disagree with you there. It seems to me that AMD is doing this to further the platform. It is already said that X2 3600+ will be the high volume chip for AMD and will hopefuly replace Sempron.

They seem to be streamlining in order to get products liek this out at a good price. I've already signed up for it. I find it funny how when they did things like this before - HTX, IMC, AMD64, it wasn't in response to Intel. Now because after 3 years Intel is not melting IMacs and is on par for gaming everything is a knee jerk.

Think about it.

What platform is that? I thought both companies were envisioning multicore processors, not multiprocessor setups for desktop.
  24. What i've read is that quad core is going to be an AM2 socket and the F socket is for the opteron.
  25. Quote:
    Socket F - 1207 pins
    Socket AM2 - 940 pins

Not the same thing...

Yes but for what I know they aborted the socket F to unify it with AM2, if I am not wrong.
  26. Quote:

Socket F and AM2 are the same thing

What planet do you live on?
    I'm sure you can read, but you like the bandwaggon syndrome dont you?
  27. socket F made sense when there was the 939. now it was aborted and the recent release of the new opetrons confirms it:
    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2162396/amd-intros-quad-core-opteron
    maybe they continue with opetrons but no way can socket F be for near future desktops
  28. Quote:
    The extra pin was for ECC registered DRAM.

No it is not for ECC registered DRAM. The package was designed to have 940 pins and probably designed to have more pins than the CPU requires. The s939 came latter with 1 pin less and with different pin configuration, just to make a difference and make the s940 Opteron/Athlon64-FX uncompatible for s939.
  29. Quote:

Think about it.

What platform is that? I thought both companies were envisioning multicore processors, not multiprocessor setups for desktop.

Both companies are envisioning Multicore rather then Multiprocessor. But the problem stems from AMD's lack of 65nm. AMD also has a VERY competitive nature. They want to remain the best. So we'll get a useless 4x4 setup released to compete with Kentsfield (Intel Quad Core) by the end of this year an early 2007.

4x4 will require a whole new motherboard and perhaps even new processors (unconfirmed) where as existing 965 and 975 boards that support Core 2 Duo already support Kentsfield out of the box (as confirmed by Coolaler who owns a Kentfield 2.4Ghz Quad Core 8MB Cache and is running it on his 975x).
  30. No Socket F and Socket AM2 are not same.
    Socket AM2 is 940 pin and AMD launched this as only single socket option. While Socket F is 1207 pin and launched for Opterons. While I know for reason, why AMD used Socket F for 4X4. It is because Quad core Opterons are going to show up 6months before quad core AM2 desktop parts. More Opteron 1xxx and 2xxx AMD is enabling 2HT links default. This will make their mfg process simple. Imagin if they have to use AM2 then they have to change mfg process. Now all they have to do is to print the package as Fx insted of Opteron 1XXX.
  31. Quote:
    No Socket F and Socket AM2 are not same.
    Socket AM2 is 940 pin and AMD launched this as only single socket option. While Socket F is 1207 pin and launched for Opterons. While I know for reason, why AMD used Socket F for 4X4. It is because Quad core Opterons are going to show up 6months before quad core AM2 desktop parts. More Opteron 1xxx and 2xxx AMD is enabling 2HT links default. This will make their mfg process simple. Imagin if they have to use AM2 then they have to change mfg process. Now all they have to do is to print the package as Fx insted of Opteron 1XXX.

Would it also not be worth to point out the physical differences between the two.

How Socket-F is like Socket 775, meaning the pins have been removed on the CPU and placed on the motherboard.

Where as AM2 is still using a PIN layout.
  32. Yea I agree, 4X4 is a propaganda move. They don’t even have to design a new processor, they just ask the mobo manufacturers’ to make a new board!
  33. & intel did not ask enough people to make their core compatible board,,,, makes you wonder who does things the right way.
  34. Quote:
    Yea I agree, 4X4 is a propaganda move. They don’t even have to design a new processor, they just ask the mobo manufacturers’ to make a new board!

It has not yet been confirmed wether or not 4x4 will be able to utilise current AM2 processors. Most speculation states the need for an FX processor.

Therefore it cannot be presented as factual and remains speculation.

;)

Quote:
    & intel did not ask enough people to make their core compatible board,,,, makes you wonder who does things the right way.

So you would believe that AMD always does things the right way then? It is what you're implying? Therefore you're an AMD fan and have chosen a side.

Intel has ATi, NVIDIA, VIA and SiS as well as themselves making Core 2 chipsets. The problem is not with wether or not Intel asked them too, it's about demand. Manufacturer's respond to demand. The list of compatible motherboards is getting quite long and doing soo quite fast.

Intel's mistake is in there supply of Core 2's, low supply of the processor limits demand for a compatible motherboard.

I don't think I need to say anything more. Fan.boys on either side cannot be trusted to present subjective and informative (factual) arguments.
  35. Its amazing what one can read into what others post.

If I were to pick sides based on what I know I would pick AMD but I'm not stupid like many of you. I buy best value for money all things considered EVEN IF ITS NOT THE FASTEST CPU.

I am a what I consider a smart consumer.

100M world records last longer than the fastest cpu record. Go figure why you all waste your money & find every excuse to justify it.

If I had a billion bucks & still would not buy the fastest CPU I will buy the best overclocker in the family & go for what I can get out of it.

I dont go for bragging rights. Being the fastest is always just for a extremely short time. I go for being effective & productive.
    Silly me I guess.
  36. Quote:
    Its amazing what one can read into what others post.

If I were to pick sides based on what I know I would pick AMD but I'm not stupid like many of you. I buy best value for money all things considered EVEN IF ITS NOT THE FASTEST CPU.

100M world records last longer than the fastest cpu record. Go figure why you all waste your money & find every excuse to justify it.

If I had a billion bucks & still would not buy the fastest CPU I will buy the best overclocker in the family & go for what I can get out of it.

I dont go for bragging rights. Being the fastest is always just for a extremely short time. I go for being effective & productive.
    Silly me I guess.
    You really are a genius!!!!! Not. 100m record has, at times, held for years....Dufus.
  37. I would laugh my @$$ off if Intel suddenly whipped out a Dual Socket 775 / Dual PCI-E board for C2D/E just in time for X-mas :lol:
  38. Quote:
    You really are a genius!!!!! Not. 100m record has, at times, held for years....Dufus.

Thats exactly my point,,,, ore you really awake?
    I'm through with you. You are a BIG waste of my time.
    No more for the reaminderof this year.
  39. Quote:
    I would laugh my @$$ off if Intel suddenly whipped out a Dual Socket 775 / Dual PCI-E board for C2D/E just in time for X-mas :lol:

They're whippin' out Kentsfield..:) (Quad Core).
  40. Quote:

Thats exactly my point,,,, ore you really awake?
    I'm through with you. You are a BIG waste of my time.
    No more for the reaminderof this year.

Promise???
  41. I have seen the 4X4 documents personally. It is Socket F (not AM2). You will also get quad core AM2 processors but it will be uni socket only.
  42. Quote:
    I would laugh my @$$ off if Intel suddenly whipped out a Dual Socket 775 / Dual PCI-E board for C2D/E just in time for X-mas

Now that would thoroughly impress me if that happened in a professional manner. Lets see if dreams can come through,,, doubt it but strange thangs have been known to happen.
  43. Quote:

Silly me I guess.

Smart Consumer eh?

Here ya go price from either for a basic system with the option for graphics performance to grow configured under Core 2 and AM2 (Crossfire/SLI capabilities).

AMD Athlon64 X2 AM2:
    ASUS M2N32 SLI DELUXE - $241CDN
    AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ AM2 - $189CDN
    Corsair TWIN2X 2048MB 240-PIN DDR2 XMS2-6400 RAM - $397CDN
    ASUS EN7900GT Top 256MB PCIe - $400CDN
    SEAGATE 7200.10 320GB 7200RPM 16MB - $109CDN
    PIONEER DVR-111 16X DL DVD-RW Drive, Black - $55CDN
    ANTEC P180 Advanced Mid-Tower Case, Silver NO PS - $160CDN
    OCZ GameXStream 600WATT SLI Power Supply - $150CDN

Sub total: $1,701CDN

Intel Core 2 Duo:
    ASUS P5W-DH DELUXE - $267CDN
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz - $209CDN
    ATi Radeon x1900XT 512MB PCIe - $460CDN

Sub total: $1,807CDN

So for $100CDN more (about 85USD) you get a more powerful CPU and graphics cards to boot. If we remove the Graphics card out of the equation the difference becomes $40CDN. So for $40CDN you can get a Core 2 Duo setup that is more powerful then the AMD AM2 setup. Both systems are geared towards gamers and both have alot of growth potential (hence why I used premium motherboard on both). While the AM2 system will probably need a new motherboard for AMD's Quad Core, the Socket 775 system already supports Kentsfield. ;)
  44. Quote:

Silly me I guess.

Smart Consumer eh?

Here ya go price from either for a basic system with the option for graphics performance to grow configured under Core 2 and AM2 (Crossfire/SLI capabilities).

AMD Athlon64 X2 AM2:

Intel Core 2 Duo:

So for $100CDN more (about 85USD) you get a more powerful CPU and graphics cards to boot. If we remove the Graphics card out of the equation the difference becomes $40CDN. So for $40CDN you can get a Core 2 Duo setup that is more powerful then the AMD AM2 setup. Both systems are geared towards gamers and both have alot of growth potential (hence why I used premium motherboard on both). While the AM2 system will probably need a new motherboard for AMD's Quad Core, the Socket 775 system already supports Kentsfield. ;)Nice...Not to mention that you could use cheaper RAM on the C2D setup without the performance penalties vs the AM2. :wink:
  45. Quote:

Silly me I guess.

Smart Consumer eh?

AMD Athlon64 X2 AM2:

Intel Core 2 Duo:

So for $100CDN more (about 85USD) you get a more powerful CPU and graphics cards to boot. If we remove the Graphics card out of the equation the difference becomes $40CDN. So for $40CDN you can get a Core 2 Duo setup that is more powerful then the AMD AM2 setup. Both systems are geared towards gamers and both have alot of growth potential (hence why I used premium motherboard on both). While the AM2 system will probably need a new motherboard for AMD's Quad Core, the Socket 775 system already supports Kentsfield. ;)Nice...Not to mention that you could use cheaper RAM on the C2D setup without the performance penalties vs the AM2. :wink:
    Yes or could have used the P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe which is $245CDN. But for an Intel rig, an Intel Chipset would be best.
  46. Quote:

AMD have already stated that 4X4 motherboards will take quad-core CPUs. :lol:
  47. Damn!!! I must be cheap....
    My fastest pc is a AMD 3200+ overclocked to 2800Mhz.
    I has 6 80GB sata HDs
    1 DVD ram drive
    2 megs GSkill ram
    & a 19" Sky Halk luminum case with a 600W PSU & it cost me less than 1,000.00$us
    All Newegg refurb parts. Some of the HDs I got for 22.00$us
    Damn I am a real cheap ass. Or Maybe a smart consumer.
  48. Quote:
    Damn!!! I must be cheap....
    My fastest pc is a AMD 3200+ overclocked to 2800Mhz.
    I has 6 80GB sata HDs
    1 DVD ram drive
    2 megs GSkill ram
    & a 19" Sky Halk luminum case with a 600W PSU & it cost me less than 1,000.00$us
    All Newegg refurb parts. Some of the HDs I got for 22.00$us
    Damn I am a real cheap ass. Or Maybe a smart consumer.

Depends what you use your PC for really.

How would upgrading to an AM2 as opposed to a Core 2 Duo make you a smart consumer? I've already highlighted that the two are similar in price with the Core 2 Duo being MUCH MUCH faster (heck in many games a Core 2 Duo E6300 competes and beats an Athlon64 X2 4600+).

If your current PC meets your needs then why upgrade to AM2? And why preach AM2 as being the best solution? You're not making sense dude.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD