Switching from 115v to 230v

caz1429

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I have a new XClio 450W power supply. I think I may have switched it from 230 to 115 or vice versa when my computer was on. Now my computer will run for 30 seconds and just shut off. Is my power supply dead?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Well that depends on where you live and which way you changed it...

If you live in Europe where 230v is the standard and switched it to 115v then usually it's no big deal.

If you live in North America and switched it from 115v to 230v then you are probably screwed...

caz1429

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I live in America where I guess its 115. When I switched to 230 my PC just shut down, so I switched it back. Now it will load up into the bios, boot from my windows cd, but just craps out after 30 seconds-2 min. Think my PSU is just broken (not the worst thing) or my entire motherboard/cpu/ram?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
You'll have to test them to find out. You can get psu testers for around $10 on newegg, i'm sure your local store will have them too. See if the psu is ok, if it is then start putting your components into a different computer to test them... or take it into a shop for them to do.

Make sure that if you replace your psu you get one with active PFC, this will prevent any more accidents of this kind. Make sure you get a good maker like Enermax, Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone, OCZ, FSP... etc. Stay away from xclio, aspire, ultra... etc.

Now that you know the dangers of a cheap psu, don't cheap out again.

caz1429

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Holy shit. I went to the PC Health section of my bios and it said my new Core 2 is running at 90 degrees C.

Stay away from xclio, aspire, ultra... etc.

Now that you know the dangers of a cheap psu, don't cheap out again.

While I agree with staying away from Aspire and Ultra, XClio is actually pretty good based on several hardware reviews of their PSUs. You cannot fault a PSU for possibly failing if it was switch from 115v to 230v while it was in operation.

I actually think that the components could a bit fried though, 'cause they were running on 115v when all of the sudden they got blasted to 230v. Since the PSU is designed to operate at both 115v and 230v, I think it is less likely to be damaged. Then again the switch was done during operation. Not a smart thing to do. Chalk it up to user error.

Higher end PSUs with Active PFC can be universal PSUs that will automatically switch between 115v and 230v like some of the Antec PSUs and Seasonic S12 PSUs.

tvl

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Well that depends on where you live and which way you changed it...

If you live in Europe where 230v is the standard and switched it to 115v then usually it's no big deal.

If you live in North America and switched it from 115v to 230v then you are probably screwed...

First, it isn't good to switch a power supply to the incorrect setting ........... especially while the computer is running!

However, didn't you word you comments backwards?

1- A power supply is always a power supply and never a transformer
2- The 115/230 VAC setting on the rear of a power supply is there only for the purpose of setting the unit to the correct INPUT voltage. The power supply has neither the ability to step up or step down voltage.
3- Using the correct setting only ensures the correct circuitry is utilized.
4- If the PSU INPUT voltage setting is set at 230VAC and the actual INPUT voltage feeding the unit is 115VAC, then the PC is actually being "starved" of the proper voltage. (A US scenario)
5- If the PSU INPUT voltage setting is set at 115VAC and the actual INPUT voltage feeding the unit is 230VAC, then the PC is actually being "over-supplied" .............. which would be detrimental to the PSU and PC (A European scenario)

Was his PC damaged from switching from 115 VAC to 230 VAC? Since the unit was up and running and then the PSU was switched, I would say this is possible. If the PSU was switched from 115 VAC to 230 VAC BEFORE the PC was powered up, then I would think is unlikely the PC would be damaged. I say this because I do not believe the PSU would even be able to function ............... not enough voltage.

Any thoughts?

caz1429

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Well I found out the pins were bent on the heatsink/fan for the CPU. I straightened it out, and it is tightly secured to the motherboard, and that brought the temperatures down. I've been running Oblivion for the past few hours and everything seems to be fine.