Second DNS Server

I'm pretty new to DNS and have a few questions. I just migrated from NT 4
to Server 2003, and am now using DNS instead of WINS. I have a small
network with 2 DC's. DNS is resolving names for my internal network, and
I'm forwarding internet requests to my ISP. My question is, if my DC which
holds DNS dies, my network is dead in the water. What is the best way to
have a backup of DNS on my 2nd DC? Should I create a secondary zone on the
2nd DC? What is the best practice? If I create the secondary zone, do I
enter the IP address of the 2nd DC, as a secondary DNS server on all of my
client PC's?

Thanks,

Troy

In news:OsuKlWBoEHA.2900@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Troy Sherven <tsherven@madcutdie.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> I'm pretty new to DNS and have a few questions. I just
> migrated from NT 4 to Server 2003, and am now using DNS
> instead of WINS. I have a small network with 2 DC's.
> DNS is resolving names for my internal network, and I'm
> forwarding internet requests to my ISP. My question is,
> if my DC which holds DNS dies, my network is dead in the
> water. What is the best way to have a backup of DNS on
> my 2nd DC? Should I create a secondary zone on the 2nd
> DC? What is the best practice? If I create the
> secondary zone, do I enter the IP address of the 2nd DC,
> as a secondary DNS server on all of my client PC's?

Use zones stored in Active Directory, then install DNS on your other DC. The
zones stored in AD will be replicated to all DCs without further action from
you.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:OsuKlWBoEHA.2900@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Troy Sherven <tsherven@madcutdie.com> made a post then I commented below
> I'm pretty new to DNS and have a few questions. I just migrated from
> NT 4 to Server 2003, and am now using DNS instead of WINS. I have a
> small network with 2 DC's. DNS is resolving names for my internal
> network, and I'm forwarding internet requests to my ISP. My question
> is, if my DC which holds DNS dies, my network is dead in the water.
> What is the best way to have a backup of DNS on my 2nd DC? Should I
> create a secondary zone on the 2nd DC? What is the best practice?
> If I create the secondary zone, do I enter the IP address of the 2nd
> DC, as a secondary DNS server on all of my client PC's?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Troy

If both DCs are of the same domain, just create the zone, and make it AD
Integrated, provided the zone conffigured on the first DC is AD Integrated.
Let AD replication handle the rest of it, and the zone populates in a
hearbeat.

--
Regards,
Ace