First Build (good for OCing?)

justin131

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Ok, I've done loads of research and I've got all my parts picked out. If theres anyhting I can change to make it better without going higher in price then I'm all ears. (Keep in mind I do not want Intel or ATI)

The only thing I'm still iffy about it whether my setup will be any good for overclocking. I'm willing to buy a kickass heatsink but I'm not to thrilled about increasing voltages. (I don't feel right about increasing voltages but you could probably convince me)

So any suggestions and advice would be great. Heres my plans:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 AM2
MoBo: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe ATX AM2 Nforce 570
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB 2X1GB PC6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-12
Vid Card: EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GT KO
Case: NZXT LEXA ATX
PS: OCZ GameXStream 600W ATX12V

I'm hoping to push the 3800 to 2.4GHz maybe 2.6GHz. If you guys convince me I should OC then I'll get the Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 Heatsink Fan. Do I need to buy some of that thermal compund stuff if I get a new HSF?

Thanks.

(PS - I'm not building this until Jan/Feb so theres a good change that all this might go out the window and I will build a quad-core vista system with a dirctx10 card. Or at least I will be keeping an ear out for when these parts will be out.)

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Ok, I've done loads of research and I've got all my parts picked out. If theres anyhting I can change to make it better without going higher in price then I'm all ears. (Keep in mind I do not want Intel or ATI)

The only thing I'm still iffy about it whether my setup will be any good for overclocking. I'm willing to buy a kickass heatsink but I'm not to thrilled about increasing voltages. (I don't feel right about increasing voltages but you could probably convince me)

So any suggestions and advice would be great. Heres my plans:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 AM2
MoBo: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe ATX AM2 Nforce 570
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB 2X1GB PC6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-12
Vid Card: EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GT KO
Case: NZXT LEXA ATX

PS: OCZ GameXStream 600W ATX12V

I'm hoping to push the 3800 to 2.4GHz maybe 2.6GHz. If you guys convince me I should OC then I'll get the Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 Heatsink Fan. Do I need to buy some of that thermal compund stuff if I get a new HSF?

Thanks.

(PS - I'm not building this until Jan/Feb so theres a good change that all this might go out the window and I will build a quad-core vista system with a dirctx10 card. Or at least I will be keeping an ear out for when these parts will be out.)

PS There is not point of making this post right now. The world is going to be totally different then, and that part list won't matter. 65nm AMD CPUs will be out along with 4x4. However, I will still make a few comments if you were to build it sooner.

1) Don't buy an SLI motherboard. There is no purpose.
2) Don't buy CAS5 RAM with AM2 especially to overclock. Get CAS4 and CAS3 ($255 or $450).