DNS resolution of file server...

David

I'm almost clueless on this topic.

I started recently with a company that has a non-high-
tech setup and I'm trying to bring them up to the 20th
century. A PC is used as a file server (running W2Kpro)
and a dozen PC's on a DSL modem/router (with subsequent
simple hubs). There's no formal "Domain" set up, using
MS Workgroups.

Some PC's here to the file server as "FILESERVER" where
they have various department drives mapped. Other PC's
use the standard "192.168.1.X" to map the drives to. The
fileserver has the IP setting at "auto assign IP
address" - and PC's are mapped to \\192.168.1.X\Folder1.

Why can't these PC's see the fileserver as "FILESERVER" -
having to refer to the IP address?

Thanks.

"David" <dcacvyird@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm almost clueless on this topic.
>
> I started recently with a company that has a non-high-
> tech setup and I'm trying to bring them up to the 20th
> century.

As long as you are at it, you might consider just skipping
the 20th and moving on to the 21st century <grin>

> A PC is used as a file server (running W2Kpro)
> and a dozen PC's on a DSL modem/router (with subsequent
> simple hubs). There's no formal "Domain" set up, using
> MS Workgroups.

Then you are going to resolve them through DNS -- you are
likely dependent on NetBIOS broadcasts which will work
unless you have INTERNAL routers (which you didn't
mention.)

> Some PC's here to the file server as "FILESERVER" where
> they have various department drives mapped. Other PC's
> use the standard "192.168.1.X" to map the drives to. The
> fileserver has the IP setting at "auto assign IP
> address" - and PC's are mapped to \\192.168.1.X\Folder1.
>
> Why can't these PC's see the fileserver as "FILESERVER" -
> having to refer to the IP address?

This does sound like you have a ROUTER (or routers)
internally since Broadcasts would work if you had none.

If you have a router, you need a WINS server and you need
to set ALL of the machines (including ALL SERVERS) to
use the WINS server.

And at that point you should install an internal DNS server
too -- probably -- and point all internal machines to it.

What happens when you "net view \\Server" name and
Ping servername by both these names and by numbers?

--
Herb Martin

In news:ux7wscDoEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Herb Martin <news@LearnQuick.com> made a post then I commented below
> "David" <dcacvyird@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I'm almost clueless on this topic.
>>
>> I started recently with a company that has a non-high-
>> tech setup and I'm trying to bring them up to the 20th
>> century.
>
> As long as you are at it, you might consider just skipping
> the 20th and moving on to the 21st century <grin>
>
>> A PC is used as a file server (running W2Kpro)
>> and a dozen PC's on a DSL modem/router (with subsequent
>> simple hubs). There's no formal "Domain" set up, using
>> MS Workgroups.
>
> Then you are going to resolve them through DNS -- you are
> likely dependent on NetBIOS broadcasts which will work
> unless you have INTERNAL routers (which you didn't
> mention.)
>
>> Some PC's here to the file server as "FILESERVER" where
>> they have various department drives mapped. Other PC's
>> use the standard "192.168.1.X" to map the drives to. The
>> fileserver has the IP setting at "auto assign IP
>> address" - and PC's are mapped to \\192.168.1.X\Folder1.
>>
>> Why can't these PC's see the fileserver as "FILESERVER" -
>> having to refer to the IP address?
>
> This does sound like you have a ROUTER (or routers)
> internally since Broadcasts would work if you had none.
>
> If you have a router, you need a WINS server and you need
> to set ALL of the machines (including ALL SERVERS) to
> use the WINS server.
>
> And at that point you should install an internal DNS server
> too -- probably -- and point all internal machines to it.
>
> What happens when you "net view \\Server" name and
> Ping servername by both these names and by numbers?
>

>> Thanks.

I would think, workgroup or not, that just mapping to the name, if there is
only just this one subnet, instead of the IP should work.

I'm curious about the net view \\fileserver results too. Would like to also
see a nbtstat -n.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

David

Herb/Ace,

I just noticed when doing the "IPCONFIG" command, that
the problem systems node type is listed as "Peer-to-Peer"
where the systems that DO recognize the \\FILESERVER are
listed as "Mixed".

What's this mean?

David

Well...

Typing in "net view \\fileserver" at the Command prompt
results in "Sytem error 53 has occured." "The network
path was not found."

Typing in "nbtstat -n" results in:

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name Type Status
PC_Name <00> UNIQUE Registered
PC_Name <20> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <01> GROUP Registered
...__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

This is strange, as another identical computer does not
have WORKGROUP three times, NOR has the __MSBROWSE__
entry.

Though it may/not be relevent, the systems with the issue
are three XP systems and one W2Kpro system. There is a
Netopia DSL Modem/Router that all PC's (functioning and
not) that all are hubbed together for fileserver access
and internet access.

If there is a WINS suspect, I can follow directions but I
don't know where to start. If you need more info simply
let me know (you can also email to dcacvyird@yahoo.com)

Again, thanks for all feedback...

> Herb/Ace,
>
> I just noticed when doing the "IPCONFIG" command, that
> the problem systems node type is listed as "Peer-to-Peer"
> where the systems that DO recognize the \\FILESERVER are
> listed as "Mixed".
>
> What's this mean?

The latter (mixed) includes broadcast resolution.

Peer-to-Peer is presumably a P-Node NetBIOS
(resolution method) client which ONLY checks a
WINS server.

This implies you have (or had) a WINS server which
is either misconfigured or missing.

The one's which are working are likely using broadcasts
(as I indicated earlier) although I did expect it was going
to be that broadcast was working in the SAME subnet
but failing across (any) routers.

--
Herb Martin

In news:02be01c4a0d2$5403d490$a301280a@phx.gbl,
David <dcacvyird@yahoo.com> made a post then I commented below
> Well...
>
> Typing in "net view \\fileserver" at the Command prompt
> results in "Sytem error 53 has occured." "The network
> path was not found."
>
> Typing in "nbtstat -n" results in:
>
> NetBIOS Local Name Table
>
> Name Type Status
> PC_Name <00> UNIQUE Registered
> PC_Name <20> UNIQUE Registered
> WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
> WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
> WORKGROUP <01> GROUP Registered
> ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
>
> This is strange, as another identical computer does not
> have WORKGROUP three times, NOR has the __MSBROWSE__
> entry.
>
> Though it may/not be relevent, the systems with the issue
> are three XP systems and one W2Kpro system. There is a
> Netopia DSL Modem/Router that all PC's (functioning and
> not) that all are hubbed together for fileserver access
> and internet access.
>
> If there is a WINS suspect, I can follow directions but I
> don't know where to start. If you need more info simply
> let me know (you can also email to dcacvyird@yahoo.com)
>
> Again, thanks for all feedback...

That nbtstat looks fine.

Are all machines set to use DHCP from the router? I'm assuming the router is
your DHCP server since you don;'t have any real "servers".

For the one that is not showing up the _MSBROWSE listing, is it a DHCP
client or does it have a static address?

Did you disable NetBIOS on any of the machines or any other services? How
did you set the network settings? Are there any other protocols enabled? Are
the MS Client service and the F&P services enabled?

Ace