New bug - I'm trapped!

Last response: in Video Games
January 29, 2005 3:32:09 AM

Okay, this one is serious. All of a sudden, I can't click on anything,
either in regular view or in inventory mode. (I can click on items in my
inventory, change equipment, and even drop things on the ground, but as soon
as I try to pick them up, I can't.) The little floating text-boxes that
should appear when your cursor is over something are completely gone, so I
can't interact with anything. That's items/containers on the ground, NPCs,
and worst of all, doors! It happened in a cave, so now I'm stuck there. I
can walk around and such, but I can't see the doors to get out. I was able
to escape using a "coc" command, but it didn't do any good, as I still
couldn't click on anything. Reloading didn't work. Quitting game and
restarting didn't work. I haven't tried a reboot yet, but that's next.
Please tell me this character isn't screwed. (Come to think of it, I should
try loading another character and see if they have the bug as well...)
Haven't changed mods or anything like that recently. It may be a ram issue.
I've only got 512 right now, but another 1GB is in the mail. This game has
shown me that you can never have too much, so I'm maxing out the board. Has
anybody run across this bug? Any way to fix it?

More about : bug trapped

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 10:01:21 AM

I have never encoutnered this in several years of playing MW.

If restarting the computer and restarting the game fresh and going to
an earlier save don't work, then try reinstalling the game (just keep
your
save files).
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 10:15:17 AM

Did you try FIXME in the console? It moves you so it might help.

Jim

--
Privileged and Confidential. This e-mail, and any attachments there to, is
intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain
"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
> Okay, this one is serious. All of a sudden, I can't click on anything,
> either in regular view or in inventory mode. (I can click on items in my
> inventory, change equipment, and even drop things on the ground, but as
> soon
> as I try to pick them up, I can't.) The little floating text-boxes that
> should appear when your cursor is over something are completely gone, so I
> can't interact with anything. That's items/containers on the ground,
> NPCs,
> and worst of all, doors! It happened in a cave, so now I'm stuck there.
> can walk around and such, but I can't see the doors to get out. I was
> able
> to escape using a "coc" command, but it didn't do any good, as I still
> couldn't click on anything. Reloading didn't work. Quitting game and
> restarting didn't work. I haven't tried a reboot yet, but that's next.
> Please tell me this character isn't screwed. (Come to think of it, I
> should
> try loading another character and see if they have the bug as well...)
> Haven't changed mods or anything like that recently. It may be a ram
> issue.
> I've only got 512 right now, but another 1GB is in the mail. This game
> has
> shown me that you can never have too much, so I'm maxing out the board.
> Has
> anybody run across this bug? Any way to fix it?

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:20:35 PM

Other than the Lord's Mail, there is nothing spiffy enough
to risk your game for--a couple of glass weapons, but those are
abundant if you can handle getting the mail.
It does sound like the save game is corrupted somehow.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 8:46:30 PM

> Did you try FIXME in the console? It moves you so it might help.

I tried that. I wasn't stuck in that I couldn't move. I could wander
around the cave all I wanted. I just couldn't click on any of the doors in
order to get out...
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 4:16:02 PM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:52:24 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>Well, after a reboot, it's mostly fixed. I can't go back into that cave,
>though. If I do, it happens again. First, the map disappears, and it's all
>black, and then I notice I can't click on anything in the cave. I can "coc"
>to get out, and Intervention/Recall spells seem to work as well, and
>everything works fine in the outside world. But I can't ever go into that
>cave again it seems. (It's the cave under Ebonheart where you get the
>Lord's Mail. Fortunately, I did get actually get the armor before this bug
>happened, so I'm not really screwed, since there's pretty much no reason to
>ever go back there.) Is there, maybe, any console command that I can use to
>reset the map in a specific area?

There's no console command, but it would be possible to rename your
savegame to a .esp file, and then use something like TESAME to delete
all references to that cell from the save. Then you'd rename it back,
and when you loaded, that cell would be back to its original state.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 5:45:58 AM

I don't know about this cave, is it part of the quest? Can I just visit the
cave to win the Lord's mail?

Jim

--

"DeAnn" <von.sagrillo@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Other than the Lord's Mail, there is nothing spiffy enough
> to risk your game for--a couple of glass weapons, but those are
> abundant if you can handle getting the mail.
> It does sound like the save game is corrupted somehow.

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 7:34:15 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 02:45:58 GMT, "Hot Wire"
<bozowatchcommander@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I don't know about this cave, is it part of the quest? Can I just visit the
>cave to win the Lord's mail?

Yes, it is part of a quest for the Legion, but you can just go there and
get it anyway if you like.
!