MX gone Mad!

jjc_mn

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002

I'm using IIS 5.0 on a W2k server with GFI spam filtering. Today I started
getting failed email messages. I tested my DNS MX configuration with NSLOOKUP
and noticed that NSLOOKUP is appending my domain name even when I enter a
FQDN of other domains while testing. It's as if
NSLOOKUP is treating all domains on the Internet as a host on my domain. EX:
If I type novell.com after setting querytype=MX it replies with
"novell.com.mydomain.com" . This points to me as handling email for
"novell.com" because it treats novell.com as a host on my domain.

Setting a different DNS name servers for the network card, external or
internal to my domain does not fix this problem. Reboots don't help either.
Enabling or disabling cache only DNS server on the machine makes no
difference. Nothing special is in the host file under etc. All other inquires
in NSLOOKUP work, ie PTR, A, etc.. Other PC on the network don't have this
problem. Scanned and found no viruses.

Is NSLOOKUP reflecting the problem correctly or is this not a good tool to
use. If NSLOOKUP is reporting the problem correctly do you have any idea
why my system is now appending my domain to all domains in NSLOOKUP and maybe
for mail delivery, thus the failures?

In news:258FF2D6-2DD8-4577-9A81-B20E2683105A@microsoft.com,
jjc_mn <jjcmn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> I'm using IIS 5.0 on a W2k server with GFI spam
> filtering. Today I started getting failed email messages.
> I tested my DNS MX configuration with NSLOOKUP and
> noticed that NSLOOKUP is appending my domain name even
> when I enter a FQDN of other domains while testing. It's
> as if
> NSLOOKUP is treating all domains on the Internet as a
> host on my domain. EX: If I type novell.com after setting
> querytype=MX it replies with "novell.com.mydomain.com" .
> This points to me as handling email for "novell.com"
> because it treats novell.com as a host on my domain.
>
> Setting a different DNS name servers for the network
> card, external or internal to my domain does not fix this
> problem. Reboots don't help either. Enabling or disabling
> cache only DNS server on the machine makes no difference.
> Nothing special is in the host file under etc. All other
> inquires in NSLOOKUP work, ie PTR, A, etc.. Other PC on
> the network don't have this problem. Scanned and found no
> viruses.
>
> Is NSLOOKUP reflecting the problem correctly or is this
> not a good tool to use. If NSLOOKUP is reporting the
> problem correctly do you have any idea why my system is
> now appending my domain to all domains in NSLOOKUP and
> maybe for mail delivery, thus the failures?

Nslookup is not a good tool for testing DNS resolution because it appends
your domain suffix to all queries. You can follow the query with a trailing
"." to stop nslookup from appending queries, but I'd recommend using Netdig.
Make sure all members of the AD domain, point only to the internal DNS
server in TCP/IP properties, then download Netdig from www.mvptools.com to
test DNS resolution.
Netdig has a GUI that makes it use much easier than using nslookup, but it
also runs from a command line similar to nslookup by running the command
netdig -i

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Thanks for recommendation Kevin. Have you tried the 2.5 version yet?

--
William Stacey, MVP

> Nslookup is not a good tool for testing DNS resolution because it appends
> your domain suffix to all queries. You can follow the query with a
trailing
> "." to stop nslookup from appending queries, but I'd recommend using
Netdig.

In news:%235dh9tPoEHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
William Stacey [MVP] <staceywREMOVE@mvps.org> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Thanks for recommendation Kevin. Have you tried the 2.5
> version yet?

As a matter of fact, yes and I keep it running most of the time. I want to
have it up at all times because I never know when I'm going to use it next.
Usually 20 times a day or more.