Effect of removing NS records for Operations Masters

In news:5C054184-AE54-4743-8492-0DCE1DDEFEA1@microsoft.com,
Frederick <Frederick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> What would be the impact of removing the NS records for
> DC's with FOrest and Domain FSMO roles?
>
> //FC

The DNS server wouldn't answer authoritatively for the domain name. But then
again the DC would just re-register the NS records.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

frederick

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2004

>The DNS server wouldn't answer authoritatively for the domain name.
Yes, this in the unix world would be called a stealth server, and is used
exactally for that purpose. Would this impact replication, the DNM, or
anything else. I can't think of anything, but wnated to put it out for sage
advice ;)

>But then again the DC would just re-register the NS records.

I was thinking of the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Parameters\DisableNSRecordsAutoCreation DWORD 1 setting.

The goal: To isolate the DC's with Operation Master Roles into a Seperate
Site in the data center. Turning off autocreation of NS records is common in
Branch Office scenario's. But have been pondering the effects on OMRs...

//FC

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:5C054184-AE54-4743-8492-0DCE1DDEFEA1@microsoft.com,
> Frederick <Frederick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > What would be the impact of removing the NS records for
> > DC's with FOrest and Domain FSMO roles?
> >
> > //FC
>
> The DNS server wouldn't answer authoritatively for the domain name. >
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> with OEBackup:

This is fine, as long as you make sure that the remaining DCs that do
register are reliable.