Sign in with
Your question

Left over cables & wires, where do they go?

Last response: in Systems
August 15, 2006 9:15:31 PM

I'm a so called "senior citizen" doing a new (and first!) build with an ASUS A8N5X with AMD X2 3800 in a Coolermaster CAC-T05-UW with a Coolermaster RS-450-ACLY power supply. I've got it mostly put together and getting most of the wires and cables properly connected.

There's a 1394 cable (besides some other colored, twisted pair, small thin wires, left that I can't find a connection for. I don't think the A8N5X has firewire and the 1394 cable is a firewire thing right? One of the manuals says not to connect the 1394 to any USB terminal so I'm not.

Is it normal to have extra wires and cables left over inside the case sometimes?

I've got the CPU, CPU heatsink and fan installed, the graphics card and I just have one CD drive and one hard drive.

I'm going to try and neaten up all the excess cables and wires and tie them down out of the air paths with cable ties. I've heard this is a good thing to do.

So I'm not the only guy with extra wires and cables left inside?

Should I get a second CD drive and another HD for backup? This is a non gaming business computer. Hope you don't mind.

Thanks

ASUS A8N5X
AMD X2-3800
Corsair TWINX2048-3200 2 Gig
PNY Quadro NVS 440 PCIEX-16
WD Cav. SE16 WD2500KS
Samsung SH-S162L
Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW
COOLER MASTER RS-450-ACLY
2 AG Neovo CW-19

More about : left cables wires

August 15, 2006 9:24:05 PM

I can't tell you where the extra wires go, but I too built my first computer this last week, and I have 2 or 3 extra wires. From what I've heard it's normal to have a few extra here and there.

Also, cable ties are a good idea, I used them as well.

Peace,
Ragnarok
August 16, 2006 4:37:35 AM

Quote:
Is it normal to have extra wires and cables left over inside the case sometimes?

"Always" I would say. Many cases nowadays are designed with popular features like mic/headphone jacks, USB & firewire/IEEE1394 up front along with the power switch, power LED, etc. You're not required to connect up any you don't want to (and certainly not those you don't have on your MB!). The case manual and/or the wire ends should have labels (often cryptic) identifying them.

Quote:

Should I get a second CD drive and another HD for backup? This is a non gaming business computer. Hope you don't mind.

A 2nd DVD drive can be handy if you will be duplicating, or reading one while writing another, and they're cheap. Since it's for business use, you might consider buying a second identical hard drive, and set it up with the first as a RAID 1 "mirroring" array. For external backup, just use a USB2.0 external hard drive; many even come with backup software.

Is there some reason you want that particular video card? There are many much-cheaper video cards with dual DVI outputs, and even more with one DVI and one Dsub25, for example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... (ATI Radeon X1300Pro, about $110 AR).
You'll find that the ATI software allows multiple virtual desktops, etc. I've been using dual monitors on ATI cards for a number of years without complaint.
Related resources
August 16, 2006 6:26:43 PM

Thanks for the reply and information.

The reason I chose the video card I did is because I may be using 4 monitors and that card can run 4 monitors from one PCIEX-16 slot.

Yes, I know it's not cheap, but it's supposed to be fast and have great, easy to use software with it for multiple monitor set up.

I did check out the ATI Fire MV cards and some Matrox cards also.

Stock trading is mostly 2D charts. 2 PNY Quadro NVS 285 cards would have been cheaper but have slower Ramdacs I think.

I may not be the smartest guy in the computer world.

I'll tell you more when I get all this stuff fired up. Live and learn.

Thanks.
August 16, 2006 7:09:00 PM

Quote:
The reason I chose the video card I did is because I may be using 4 monitors and that card can run 4 monitors from one PCIEX-16 slot. ...

Wowza!
Have fun!
!