[SOLVED] Retreiving files off of external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramamamaxlnt

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
My 500GB external, portable hard drive is broken. It won't appear on my desktop any more, and while it lights up at first as if it 's going to run, it shuts down. Is there any way to retrieve a file off of it?
Thanks.

Solution
How is it broken? You mean not working or physically broken?
What you mean lights up and then goes off when connected directly? You're still using it as external I presume.
You'll have to choose if those files are important enough to pay for special services to get those files or you just open it up

dramamamaxlnt

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
I have hooked it up directly to my computer, but it is a Seagate portable drive, and the light only comes on for a short time, then fades away. No icon will appear on my desk top. I don't see how to take it apart. Thanks.

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
How is it broken? You mean not working or physically broken?
What you mean lights up and then goes off when connected directly? You're still using it as external I presume.
You'll have to choose if those files are important enough to pay for special services to get those files or you just open it up

Solution

dramamamaxlnt

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Thanks for your kind answer. I thought that paying for special services would be the case. I may just try to open it myself and see what happens. I can't lose any more than I already have! Ha! I appreciate your time and your reply.

Hi dramamamax

SeaTools runs on Wintel Hardware

I don't think MAC's count even if Intel Based and running Windows via bootcamp, Parallels etc

there are two versions a Windows version (XP onwards)
and a bootable CD version which is DOS based and only works via ATA/SATA/SCSI interface not USB

Many external hard drives are Standard SATA (older models ATA) interface BUT some recent models integrate the USB to SATA interface on the Hard disk controller board. So you can not connect a SATA data and power connecter
Do some research using Google and exact model external hard drive.

Usually external hard drive case can be opened and a replacement case purchased.
Or install inside PC, should work even on a MAC if spare SATA cables available

One final thought 2.5" drives often get their power via USB cable but 3.5" drives need an external PSU
Have you checked the PSU is working (use a mulimeter or voltmeter)

regards

Mike Barnes

Status
Not open for further replies.