Difficulty connecting to Internet via Lan with Win95

I am trying to reconnect computer to the Internet Via a network (Lan) In
the past it connected successfully using Win 98. Now it has an OS of
Win 95 - the adapter is the same as before, a Realtek 8139-Series PC1
NIC. But I cannot connect it.

I have access to another computer on the network running on Windows XP.
So I have the addresses of the Default Gateway, DNS Server and Submask
(I assume they will be the same for all computers on the network). I am
unsure of the Host name (is this significant, or can it be obtained
from the computer which is working?).
Win 95 Device manager tells me the Adapter driver is properly installed
- no conflicts. Also all cables are correct. Bottom line: Can anyone
give me step by step instructions for this installation?

--
EamonX1
More about difficulty connecting internet win95

    In article <EamonX1.1bem2a@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au>,
    EamonX1 <EamonX1.1bem2a@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:
    :I am trying to reconnect computer to the Internet Via a network (Lan) In
    :the past it connected successfully using Win 98. Now it has an OS of
    :Win 95 - the adapter is the same as before, a Realtek 8139-Series PC1
    :NIC. But I cannot connect it.

    My PC support team has told me they have had a fair number of problems
    with Realtek NICs. I told them that the time they were spending trying
    to locate and fix the problems was much more than the card initial price
    savings, and to just buy better NICs.
    --
    Strange but true: there are entire WWW pages devoted to listing
    programs designed to obfuscate HTML.

    EamonX1 wrote:
    > I am trying to reconnect computer to the Internet Via a network (Lan) In
    > the past it connected successfully using Win 98. Now it has an OS of
    > Win 95 - the adapter is the same as before, a Realtek 8139-Series PC1
    > NIC. But I cannot connect it.
    >
    > I have access to another computer on the network running on Windows XP.
    > So I have the addresses of the Default Gateway, DNS Server and Submask
    > (I assume they will be the same for all computers on the network). I am
    > unsure of the Host name (is this significant, or can it be obtained
    > from the computer which is working?).
    > Win 95 Device manager tells me the Adapter driver is properly installed
    > - no conflicts. Also all cables are correct. Bottom line: Can anyone
    > give me step by step instructions for this installation?

    The default Gateway, Subnet Mask and DNS should be the sane. The
    Workgroup should be the same on each PC. The computer name should be
    unique on each PC. Try ping you own IP address what ever that maybe some
    thing like 192.168.1.3. The command from a DOS prompt would be ping
    192.168.1.3 or whatever your address is. Also try pinging your default
    gateway, post your results. While you are at the DOS prompt type
    ipconfig /all, and post the results.

    --
    Danny Kile
    Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+

    Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
    Your cooperation is appreciated.

    Open a command prompt and type ping 216.109.118.77 That is the IP of
    www.yahoo.com.

    If that is successful, you have a connection to the internet. Now type ping
    www.yahoo.com

    If that times out, you have a DNS issue on that computer. Could be you need
    to download a utility called winsockfix and repair TCP/IP as well.

    "EamonX1" <EamonX1.1bem2a@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message

    > I am trying to reconnect computer to the Internet Via a network (Lan) In
    > the past it connected successfully using Win 98. Now it has an OS of
    > Win 95 - the adapter is the same as before, a Realtek 8139-Series PC1
    > NIC. But I cannot connect it.
    >
    > I have access to another computer on the network running on Windows XP.
    > So I have the addresses of the Default Gateway, DNS Server and Submask
    > (I assume they will be the same for all computers on the network). I am
    > unsure of the Host name (is this significant, or can it be obtained
    > from the computer which is working?).
    > Win 95 Device manager tells me the Adapter driver is properly installed
    > - no conflicts. Also all cables are correct. Bottom line: Can anyone
    > give me step by step instructions for this installation?
    >

    > --
    > EamonX1
    > brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/

Computers Internet Networking Product