Difficulty connecting to Internet via Lan with Win95

Last response: in Networking
August 22, 2004 11:06:10 PM

I am trying to reconnect computer to the Internet Via a network (Lan) In
the past it connected successfully using Win 98. Now it has an OS of
Win 95 - the adapter is the same as before, a Realtek 8139-Series PC1
NIC. But I cannot connect it.

I have access to another computer on the network running on Windows XP.
So I have the addresses of the Default Gateway, DNS Server and Submask
(I assume they will be the same for all computers on the network). I am
unsure of the Host name (is this significant, or can it be obtained
from the computer which is working?).
Win 95 Device manager tells me the Adapter driver is properly installed
- no conflicts. Also all cables are correct. Bottom line: Can anyone
give me step by step instructions for this installation?

--
EamonX1
August 22, 2004 11:21:26 PM

In article <EamonX1.1bem2a@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au>,
EamonX1 <EamonX1.1bem2a@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:
:I am trying to reconnect computer to the Internet Via a network (Lan) In
:the past it connected successfully using Win 98. Now it has an OS of
:Win 95 - the adapter is the same as before, a Realtek 8139-Series PC1
:NIC. But I cannot connect it.

My PC support team has told me they have had a fair number of problems
with Realtek NICs. I told them that the time they were spending trying
to locate and fix the problems was much more than the card initial price
savings, and to just buy better NICs.
--
Strange but true: there are entire WWW pages devoted to listing
programs designed to obfuscate HTML.

EamonX1 wrote:
> I am trying to reconnect computer to the Internet Via a network (Lan) In
> the past it connected successfully using Win 98. Now it has an OS of
> Win 95 - the adapter is the same as before, a Realtek 8139-Series PC1
> NIC. But I cannot connect it.
>
> I have access to another computer on the network running on Windows XP.
> So I have the addresses of the Default Gateway, DNS Server and Submask
> (I assume they will be the same for all computers on the network). I am
> unsure of the Host name (is this significant, or can it be obtained
> from the computer which is working?).
> Win 95 Device manager tells me the Adapter driver is properly installed
> - no conflicts. Also all cables are correct. Bottom line: Can anyone
> give me step by step instructions for this installation?

The default Gateway, Subnet Mask and DNS should be the sane. The
Workgroup should be the same on each PC. The computer name should be
unique on each PC. Try ping you own IP address what ever that maybe some
thing like 192.168.1.3. The command from a DOS prompt would be ping
192.168.1.3 or whatever your address is. Also try pinging your default
gateway, post your results. While you are at the DOS prompt type
ipconfig /all, and post the results.

--
Danny Kile
Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+

Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
Your cooperation is appreciated.
February 1, 2005 12:19:04 AM

Open a command prompt and type ping 216.109.118.77 That is the IP of
www.yahoo.com.

If that is successful, you have a connection to the internet. Now type ping
www.yahoo.com

If that times out, you have a DNS issue on that computer. Could be you need
to download a utility called winsockfix and repair TCP/IP as well.