To SLI or not to SLI that is the question.

To SLI or not to SLI.

• yes you should SLI

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • No you should not SLI

Votes: 25 78.1%

• Total voters

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I am wondering that when i do another build should i go SLI? I mean the price of two cards almost comes around 600+(if getting 7900GT) so if i just go for a single 7900GTX(about 500+) or a single 7950GX2(600+) what would be better price/performence ratio.

SLI still has its bugs plus not too many game acutally support the SLI rending mode. If i do decide to go SLI what performence gain would i see having two 7900GT or two 7900GTX's and would it be substaniual increase, over just one card to justify spending 1000$ for two 7900GTX's. would the extra money for that second acutally account to more then a 30-50% gain.

If i go the route of 7950GX2 which is a single slot card but has basicly two 7900GT in it would that be good? it's still 600+ dallors for it, but would game performence increase over having two 7900GT in SLI mode?

Crossfire is still in limbo i have heard good things and bad things about Crossfire but currently nvidia's SLI seems so far to be the best route.

I wish your thoughts on this and if we can avoid worthless posts that having nothing to do with my question that would be nice :) .

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
I voted "yes" for SLI. But your poll question/answer choices are somewhat flawed. It is impossible to simply say "yes" or "no". If the budget allows, then it is a resounding "yes" if not, then, well, you know. Also, if one SLIs anything I would say that he/she should SLI or X-Fire only the top of the line cards. If one is prepared to spend big bucks then they should go all the way since in a lot of cases a single top of the line card will beat two lesser cards in SLI and cost the same or less. With that in mind it makes sense to get one top of the line card now and SLI it later when the prices drop.

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
RE: Salva This just a general post about SLI'ing im just wondering if you should or should not obviously there are many cards out and at different prices and could find some for pretty cheap to SLI but for the sake of the post lets just stay within the 7900GT,GTX,GX2 limit.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
SLIing at this point isn't a good idea, especially with the possibility of next-gen cards being released later this year. If money is not an issues, go for a single 7900GTX, and then getting a top-line next-gen card when they're available.

It also matters what resolution you play at.

To SLI or not to SLI, that is the question...actually just had this debate with myself a few weeks ago...and I chose not to SLI...I came to the conclusion that, at this point in time, I was better of getting 1 higher end card rather and waiting to see how things progress over the next year...if your really jonesing for uber fps, then get the 7950, but a 7900gtx or even the 7900gt (of the KO flavor from EVGA, perhaps?) will perform...

foshizzle

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
SLI is ONLY for high resolution gaming. It doesn't make any sense to go with SLI otherwise because a single top end card on average is just as good (and sometimes better) than SLI at normal resolutions (1028 and 1280).

If you have the money to spend, then sure go for it. But only get two top end cards.

Also, the whole arguement of "Buy one now, SLI later when you need more performance" just doesn't work 99% of the time. By then it's cheaper to just go with a current single card that will give you better overall performance.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Unless your playing on a super high resolution, then theres the reason to do SLi unity. Otherwise, 1 card will do just fine. With DX10 cards coming out(hopefully)soon, theres no point in spending 5-600 bucks on 2 cards. What i would go for is the either a 7900GT or a x1800xt. Their both roughly the same. If you can find a 7900GTX though under 400 bucks, or close to low 400, then go for that if money is not a issue.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Huh? Where the hell have you been after all those years?

...or is it just your new avatar that's confusing me?

Hey, man... long time no see. Huh? :) No, it is I. My avatar? I figured I'd use a real picture of myself. As a matter of fact, I think it would be cool if everyone used their own picture. I've been away for some time. Family issues have taken up most of my time. It is good to be back. I may be going away for some time again soon. It appears I now need to sell my late mother's apartment overseas (sigh) ........

sailer

Splendid
Overall, I've not seen any gains in framerates that were worth the hastles of SLI. Most gains that I've seen were in the area of 20-30%, not 30-50%. If I were considering one of the top Nvidia cards, I'd go for the 7950GX2. In fact, that was the card I considered before getting my X1900XTX.

Crossfire does have a couple disadvantages, mainly not being able to easily use them on non-Crossfire boards and the second card being a toned down card rather than an equal high perforfance card. Hopefully AMD will fix these two problems. And yes, I know there is a new driver that allows Crossfire on Nvidia based boards, but I've heard of a few problems with it. Either way, like SLI, I don't think Crossfire is worth it.

That said, like Slava wrote, if you have the money to buy it and want the increase, go ahead. I would wait a month or so for the new cards to come out so that you're not almost instantly behind technology, but that's your descision.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I am wondering that when i do another build should i go SLI? I mean the price of two cards almost comes around 600+(if getting 7900GT) so if i just go for a single 7900GTX(about 500+) or a single 7950GX2(600+) what would be better price/performence ratio.

SLI still has its bugs plus not too many game acutally support the SLI rending mode. If i do decide to go SLI what performence gain would i see having two 7900GT or two 7900GTX's and would it be substaniual increase, over just one card to justify spending 1000$ for two 7900GTX's. would the extra money for that second acutally account to more then a 30-50% gain.

If i go the route of 7950GX2 which is a single slot card but has basicly two 7900GT in it would that be good? it's still 600+ dallors for it, but would game performence increase over having two 7900GT in SLI mode?

Crossfire is still in limbo i have heard good things and bad things about Crossfire but currently nvidia's SLI seems so far to be the best route.

I wish your thoughts on this and if we can avoid worthless posts that having nothing to do with my question that would be nice :) .
SLI support comes from the driver, not the title. If you're going to do any sort of SLI setup make it a 7950GX2 or 7900GTXs; I'd say no to a 7900GT seeing as a 7950GX2 is two 7900GTs with 512MB of memory.
Overall, I've not seen any gains in framerates that were worth the hastles of SLI. Most gains that I've seen were in the area of 20-30%, not 30-50%. If I were considering one of the top Nvidia cards, I'd go for the 7950GX2. In fact, that was the card I considered before getting my X1900XTX.

Crossfire does have a couple disadvantages, mainly not being able to easily use them on non-Crossfire boards and the second card being a toned down card rather than an equal high perforfance card. Hopefully AMD will fix these two problems. And yes, I know there is a new driver that allows Crossfire on Nvidia based boards, but I've heard of a few problems with it. Either way, like SLI, I don't think Crossfire is worth it.

That said, like Slava wrote, if you have the money to buy it and want the increase, go ahead. I would wait a month or so for the new cards to come out so that you're not almost instantly behind technology, but that's your descision.
Are you speaking out of experience, or simply looking at charts? Owning an SLI system I can say enabling SLI substantially increases performance, however an SLI system is not for everyone, contrary to Nvidia's belief.

sailer

Splendid
I tried SLI once and didn't see a big increase in frame rates. I allow that my experience could be part of a total package that I was running at the time, and like the EPA estimated gas milage stickers say, your experience might differ. I changed cards and went water cooled at the same time and am happier with my present setup.

cleeve

Illustrious
Depends. What resolution do you plan to play at?

If it's 1600x1200 or less, a single high-end card will be fine.

If you want higher thasn that, especially with AA enabled, you're going to want SLI/Xfire.

sailer

Splendid
I do have a SLI board, an ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe.

The earlier ATI cards were basically identical, from my understanding, so there was no speed difference when going to Crossfire. But the X1900 XTX has a core speed of 650 mhz and a memory speed of 1.55 ghz while the X1900 Crossfire Edition has a core speed of 625 mhz and a memory speed of 1.45 ghz, thus toning down the overall speed the two cards to the speed of the slower card. At least, this is my understanding of the situation.

If a person was matching a X1900 XT with a Crossfire card, then the core and memory speeds would be the same.