Changing the domain name

My office has changed its name and so the domain name must be changed. What
is the best way to go about changing the domain name for an office running
windows 2000 small business server?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and tips.

Newman
15 answers Last reply
More about changing domain name

    In news:O8lsglZoEHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Newman <nospam@yahoo.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > My office has changed its name and so the domain name
    > must be changed. What is the best way to go about
    > changing the domain name for an office running windows
    > 2000 small business server?

    This is a problem for SBS2000, you cannot rename a Windows 2000 Active
    Directory domain. You can rename a Win2k3 AD domain from a member server.
    You would have to demote and repromote a Win2k domain, this means you would
    lose all users and computer accounts.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Thanks for your quick response.

    Is there no way to make the change without losing the user accounts and
    computers? Would an in place upgrade work?

    Newman

    In news:OUW6M6ZoEHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Newman <nospam@yahoo.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Thanks for your quick response.
    >
    > Is there no way to make the change without losing the
    > user accounts and computers? Would an in place upgrade
    > work?

    Sure, you can upgrade to SBS2003 then undertake a domain rename operation.
    The way SBS licensing works it has to be the root of the forest and hold the
    FSMO roles and doesn't allow external trusts. So it makes it kind of tough
    to use ADMT which is what you have to use to migrate to a new domain name.
    Some say it is possible, I've never tried it, but watch this thread to see
    if someone chimes in with a way to work around the limitations of SBS.

    --

    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] wrote:
    > In news:OUW6M6ZoEHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Newman <nospam@yahoo.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    >> Thanks for your quick response.
    >>
    >> Is there no way to make the change without losing the
    >> user accounts and computers? Would an in place upgrade
    >> work?
    >
    > Sure, you can upgrade to SBS2003 then undertake a domain rename
    > operation.

    Not sure if this will work, as Exchange is in the picture. Might want to
    post in m.p.windows.server.sbs

    > The way SBS licensing works it has to be the root of the
    > forest and hold the FSMO roles and doesn't allow external trusts. So
    > it makes it kind of tough to use ADMT which is what you have to use
    > to migrate to a new domain name. Some say it is possible, I've never
    > tried it, but watch this thread to see if someone chimes in with a
    > way to work around the limitations of SBS.

    Another (icky) option is to back up all data, exmerge mailboxes, export PFs
    to PSTs, and build a new domain.

    In news:eP%23bAgdoEHA.1988@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
    <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] wrote:
    >> In news:OUW6M6ZoEHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >> Newman <nospam@yahoo.com> commented
    >> Then Kevin replied below:
    >>> Thanks for your quick response.
    >>>
    >>> Is there no way to make the change without losing the
    >>> user accounts and computers? Would an in place upgrade
    >>> work?
    >>
    >> Sure, you can upgrade to SBS2003 then undertake a domain
    >> rename operation.
    >
    > Not sure if this will work, as Exchange is in the
    > picture. Might want to post in m.p.windows.server.sbs

    It does with Exchange 2003 SP1 installed.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] wrote:
    > In news:eP%23bAgdoEHA.1988@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
    > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    >> Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] wrote:
    >>> In news:OUW6M6ZoEHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >>> Newman <nospam@yahoo.com> commented
    >>> Then Kevin replied below:

    >>> Sure, you can upgrade to SBS2003 then undertake a domain
    >>> rename operation.
    >>
    >> Not sure if this will work, as Exchange is in the
    >> picture. Might want to post in m.p.windows.server.sbs
    >
    > It does with Exchange 2003 SP1 installed.

    Hmmm -I have to admit I've never attempted this at all anyway... but you
    made me curious.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/chats/trans/sbs/sbs0526.mspx
    says it can't be done....

    Also see
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Windows_Server_2003/Q_21054342.html#11520706
    (I've copied the relevant content below in case you're asked to log in)

    -------
    Renaming a Small Business Server domain is not possible, and there is no way
    that you can add an SBS to an existing domain. An SBS has to be the forest
    root, and you can't setup trusts to other domains.

    ====8<--------
    Windows Server 2003 Domain Rename Tools
    (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/downloads/domainrename.mspx):
    [...]
    System Requirements
    To perform the domain rename procedure, you must be running one of the
    following versions of Windows Server 2003 or higher on every domain
    controller in the forest in which the domain rename is to be performed:
    * Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
    * Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
    * Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
    ====8<--------
    Windows Small Business Server 2003 Getting Started Guide
    (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/2003/plan/gsg/chptr3a.mspx
    ):
    [...]
    Step 2: Windows Configuration
    4. [...]
    Important: After you install Windows Small Business Server 2003, you cannot
    change the full DNS name for the internal domain, the NetBIOS domain name,
    or the computer name. These settings are used to configure Windows Small
    Business Server tools and applications. To change these names, you must
    reinstall Windows Small Business Server 2003.
    ====8<--------
    Small Business Server 2003 - Best Practices, May 26, 2004
    (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/chats/trans/sbs/sbs0526.mspx):
    Q: is there a way to rename a domain in SBS
    A: Domain rename is not supported in SBS 2003.
    ====8<--------

    Frequently Asked Questions About Windows Small Business Server 2003
    (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/techinfo/overview/generalfaq
    ..mspx):
    Q. What is Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server?
    A. [...]
    Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server has the following
    restrictions:
    * Only one computer in a domain can be running Windows Server 2003 for Small
    Business Server.
    * Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server must be the root of the
    Active Directory® forest.
    * Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server cannot trust any other
    domains.
    * A Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server domain cannot have any
    child domains.
    [...]
    Q. Can I use more than one Windows Small Business Server 2003 server in the
    same company?
    A. There can be only one Windows Small Business Server 2003 server in a
    domain. Each Windows Small Business Server 2003 server is typically
    connected to the Internet either directly, or via a firewall. Windows Small
    Business Server 2003 does not support trusts between domains; therefore,
    user names and resources could not be shared between those Windows Small
    Business Server 2003 servers. Further, Windows Small Business Server 2003
    installs at the root of the Active Directory forest, and it cannot be
    demoted, or have the flexible single-master operation (FSMO) roles removed.
    ====8<--------
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    I don't do SBS, so please take this with a grain of salt. Your best bet,
    IMO, is to install a new SBS into a new Forest/Domain. Establish trust (YES)
    between this new forest and your existing forest. Then use ADMT2.0 to
    migrate from the existing forest to the new one.

    As for doing SBS trusts, see
    http://www.akomolafe.com/DesktopModules/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=34 . I
    "stole" that from somewhere, but I have done this trust part personally. The
    ADMT part I haven't done with SBS, but I would wager that it will work.

    I would recommend that you simulate this trust/admt scenario in a test lab
    before you do it on your live network.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    www.readymaids.com - COMPLETE SPAM Protection
    www.akomolafe.com
    Yesterday? -anon

    "Newman" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My office has changed its name and so the domain name must be changed.
    What
    > is the best way to go about changing the domain name for an office running
    > windows 2000 small business server?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your suggestions and tips.
    >
    > Newman

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Deji Akomolafe wrote:
    > I don't do SBS, so please take this with a grain of salt.

    I have a whole salt-cellar-full!

    > Your best
    > bet, IMO, is to install a new SBS into a new Forest/Domain.
    < Establish
    > trust (YES) between this new forest and your existing forest.

    No trusts can be set up in SBS, alas.

    > Then
    > use ADMT2.0 to migrate from the existing forest to the new one.
    >
    > As for doing SBS trusts, see
    > http://www.akomolafe.com/DesktopModules/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=34
    > . I "stole" that from somewhere, but I have done this trust part
    > personally. The ADMT part I haven't done with SBS, but I would wager
    > that it will work.
    >
    > I would recommend that you simulate this trust/admt scenario in a
    > test lab before you do it on your live network.
    >

    > "Newman" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> My office has changed its name and so the domain name must be
    >> changed. What is the best way to go about changing the domain name
    >> for an office running windows 2000 small business server?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your suggestions and tips.
    >>
    >> Newman
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Watch your liver with those salt, would you :)

    >> No trusts can be set up in SBS, alas.
    I take it that you didn't read any further down, uh?

    --
    Sincerely,

    Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    www.readymaids.com - we know IT
    www.akomolafe.com
    Yesterday? -anon
    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > Deji Akomolafe wrote:
    > > I don't do SBS, so please take this with a grain of salt.
    >
    > I have a whole salt-cellar-full!
    >
    > > Your best
    > > bet, IMO, is to install a new SBS into a new Forest/Domain.
    > < Establish
    > > trust (YES) between this new forest and your existing forest.
    >
    > No trusts can be set up in SBS, alas.
    >
    > > Then
    > > use ADMT2.0 to migrate from the existing forest to the new one.
    > >
    > > As for doing SBS trusts, see
    > > http://www.akomolafe.com/DesktopModules/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=34
    > > . I "stole" that from somewhere, but I have done this trust part
    > > personally. The ADMT part I haven't done with SBS, but I would wager
    > > that it will work.
    > >
    > > I would recommend that you simulate this trust/admt scenario in a
    > > test lab before you do it on your live network.
    > >

    > > "Newman" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> My office has changed its name and so the domain name must be
    > >> changed. What is the best way to go about changing the domain name
    > >> for an office running windows 2000 small business server?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance for your suggestions and tips.
    > >>
    > >> Newman

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Deji Akomolafe wrote:
    > Watch your liver with those salt, would you :)
    >
    >>> No trusts can be set up in SBS, alas.
    > I take it that you didn't read any further down, uh?

    I never learned to read!!! <weeps>

    So you've actually been able to set up trusts in SBS? I suppose you can bend
    spoons using only brain-power, too, eh?
    Seriously, dish the dirt. How'd you do it?

    > Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
    > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > www.readymaids.com - we know IT
    > www.akomolafe.com
    > Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
    > Yesterday? -anon
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > message news:uRsxDbloEHA.3464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> Deji Akomolafe wrote:
    >>> I don't do SBS, so please take this with a grain of salt.
    >>
    >> I have a whole salt-cellar-full!
    >>
    >>> Your best
    >>> bet, IMO, is to install a new SBS into a new Forest/Domain.
    >> < Establish
    >>> trust (YES) between this new forest and your existing forest.
    >>
    >> No trusts can be set up in SBS, alas.
    >>
    >>> Then
    >>> use ADMT2.0 to migrate from the existing forest to the new one.
    >>>
    >>> As for doing SBS trusts, see
    >>> http://www.akomolafe.com/DesktopModules/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=34
    >>> . I "stole" that from somewhere, but I have done this trust part
    >>> personally. The ADMT part I haven't done with SBS, but I would wager
    >>> that it will work.
    >>>
    >>> I would recommend that you simulate this trust/admt scenario in a
    >>> test lab before you do it on your live network.
    >>>

    >>> "Newman" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:uLk7MZroEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
    <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> made a post then
    I commented below
    > Deji Akomolafe wrote:
    >> Watch your liver with those salt, would you :)

    >> I take it that you didn't read any further down, uh?
    >
    > I never learned to read!!! <weeps>
    >
    > So you've actually been able to set up trusts in SBS? I suppose you
    > can bend spoons using only brain-power, too, eh?
    > Seriously, dish the dirt. How'd you do it?

    He shows how in his link. Interesting series of steps!
    http://www.akomolafe.com/DesktopModules/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=34

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Ace Fekay [MVP] wrote:
    > In news:uLk7MZroEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
    > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> made a
    > post then I commented below
    >> Deji Akomolafe wrote:
    >>> Watch your liver with those salt, would you :)

    >>> I take it that you didn't read any further down, uh?
    >>
    >> I never learned to read!!! <weeps>
    >>
    >> So you've actually been able to set up trusts in SBS? I suppose you
    >> can bend spoons using only brain-power, too, eh?
    >> Seriously, dish the dirt. How'd you do it?
    >
    > He shows how in his link. Interesting series of steps!
    > http://www.akomolafe.com/DesktopModules/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=34

    Oh. What's a "link" ?
    <g>
    Thanks!

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:OBt5krJpEHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
    <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> made a post then
    I commented below
    > Ace Fekay [MVP] wrote:
    >> In news:uLk7MZroEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
    >> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> made a
    >> post then I commented below

    >>> I never learned to read!!! <weeps>
    >>>
    >>> So you've actually been able to set up trusts in SBS? I suppose you
    >>> can bend spoons using only brain-power, too, eh?
    >>> Seriously, dish the dirt. How'd you do it?
    >>
    >> He shows how in his link. Interesting series of steps!
    >> http://www.akomolafe.com/DesktopModules/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=34
    >
    > Oh. What's a "link" ?
    > <g>
    > Thanks!

    Its one of those contraptions, you know, like a thing-a-ma-jig thingy?

    :-)
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Ace Fekay [MVP] wrote:
    <snip>

    >> Oh. What's a "link" ?
    >> <g>
    >> Thanks!
    >
    > Its one of those contraptions, you know, like a thing-a-ma-jig thingy?
    >
    > :-)

    Oh. I must need SP2, then. All I have is a doohickey.
  15. A local FQDN that Microsoft Windows 2000 DNS or Microsoft Windows Server 2003 DNS can use for local name resolution on the private Small Business Server network. but domain name change can be both helpful and also may be harmful for your business. but lets hope your new domain name may give you more traffic.

    domain name

Domain Name Office Windows