DNS does not resolve NAT address

Q.) How can I set up our internal DNS so that our public
name is resolved to our private IP address?

Info.
We have an internal DNS that works fine inside the firewall

The public address for our Web site is not resolved
because we can't use NAT'd address' internally.

Jimme

In news:291401c4a1ac$e856dc70$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Jimme Quinn Ross <jimme@lbdc.state.ny.us> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Q.) How can I set up our internal DNS so that our public
> name is resolved to our private IP address?
>
> Info.
> We have an internal DNS that works fine inside the
> firewall
>
> The public address for our Web site is not resolved
> because we can't use NAT'd address' internally.
>
> Jimme

By creating a zone for the web site name, e.g. www.example.com then in that
zone, create a new host leave the name field blank and give it the IP of the
Web server.
This way your DNS server only resolves www.example.com to the internal IP
and all other names in example.com will be forwarded.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Fantastic! It worked! Thanks you very much.

It resolved nyslrs.state.ny.us fine, but when I added a
zone named public.leginfo.state.ny.us it did not resolve.
I will need to add several more but do not have the names.

Any thoughts?

Jimme

In news:311601c4a24d$ae172370$a601280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Fantastic! It worked! Thanks you very much.
>
> It resolved nyslrs.state.ny.us fine, but when I added a
> zone named public.leginfo.state.ny.us it did not resolve.
> I will need to add several more but do not have the names.

Did you create the blank record with this IP address?
public.leginfo.state.ny.us. 86400 IN A 68.236.129.8

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

In news:%23$lbQ0noEHA.2684@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> made a post then I
commented below
> In news:311601c4a24d$ae172370$a601280a@phx.gbl,
> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
>> Fantastic! It worked! Thanks you very much.
>>
>> It resolved nyslrs.state.ny.us fine, but when I added a
>> zone named public.leginfo.state.ny.us it did not resolve.
>> I will need to add several more but do not have the names.
>>

> Did you create the blank record with this IP address?
> public.leginfo.state.ny.us. 86400 IN A 68.236.129.8

I think that may be his WAN IP address of his NAT. Wasn't he asking for the
internal address?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

In news:uys9CfDpEHA.2900@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Ace Fekay [MVP] <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com>
commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> In news:%23$lbQ0noEHA.2684@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
> Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> made
> a post then I commented below
>> In news:311601c4a24d$ae172370$a601280a@phx.gbl,
>> anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
>> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
>> Then Kevin replied below:
>>> Fantastic! It worked! Thanks you very much.
>>>
>>> It resolved nyslrs.state.ny.us fine, but when I added a
>>> zone named public.leginfo.state.ny.us it did not
>>> resolve. I will need to add several more but do not
>>> have the names.
>>>

>> Did you create the blank record with this IP address?
>> public.leginfo.state.ny.us. 86400 IN A
>> 68.236.129.8
>
> I think that may be his WAN IP address of his NAT. Wasn't
> he asking for the internal address?

You're so right, I guess there's no way for me to tell him that.

--

In news:OguDSrDpEHA.1668@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> made a post then I
commented below

>> I think that may be his WAN IP address of his NAT. Wasn't
>> he asking for the internal address?
>
> You're so right, I guess there's no way for me to tell him that.

Ok, I wasn't sure. That's what I thought. I guess if he doesn't post back,
hope he figures it out!
:)

Ace

Are you using the internal DNS server to answer external queries? In other
words, you have a NAT mapping on your firewall that allows external clients
to connect to your internal DNS server? That seems to be what you are
saying.
If that is the case, your entries on your internal DNS server are for
external IP addresses (not rfc 1918 space) and will only reply back with
those external IP addresses. If your firewall does aliasing (the Cisco PIX
does this) then you can tell the firewall to "lookup" the NAT translation
for the Public IP address and use the internal address when it gets hit with
the request. It will then redirect the traffic to the webserver after it
fixes the ip addresses in the packets.
Other options are to create a different DNS server for your internal client
machines or use a host file to define your internal website ip address.
First is better, second will work but is a pain to manage over the long
haul.

Regards,
Ed Horley

"Jimme Quinn Ross" <jimme@lbdc.state.ny.us> wrote in message
> Q.) How can I set up our internal DNS so that our public
> name is resolved to our private IP address?
>
> Info.
> We have an internal DNS that works fine inside the firewall
>
> The public address for our Web site is not resolved
> because we can't use NAT'd address' internally.
>
> Jimme

need to learn more about DNS. Thanks again for your help!

Jimme

In news:36d401c4aa2b$b7d0b300$a401280a@phx.gbl,
Jimme Quinn Ross <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
commented below
> He did! Well, sort of. The entry I made is now working. I
> need to learn more about DNS. Thanks again for your help!
>
> Jimme

Well, better late than never! Glad we were able to help.
:)

Ace