I'm making a simple mod to rename all the generic keys ("Rusty Key", "Small
Key", "Ancient Dwemer Key", etc.) to have descriptive names that tell you
where they're used. I've been able to figure out most of them going through
the CS, but there's a few I haven't gotten yet. If anybody has info on any
of the following keys, let me know.

key_falas tomb keepers - "Preserved Ancient Key"
key_falas tomb keepers_2 - "Tomb Door Key"
(These seem to be related to the Falas Ancestral Tomb, but they don't seem
to open anything there.)
key_hasphat_antabolis2 - "Small Key"
(I've named this "Hasphat's Small Key" for now, but I can't figure out what
it opens.)
key_kaguoti_colony - "Rusty Key"
key_nelothtelnaga - "Key to Tel Naga"
key_nelothtelnaga2 - "Key to Tel Naga"
key_nelothtelnaga3 - "Key to Tel Naga"
key_nelothtelnaga4 - "Key to Tel Naga"
(These are obviously related to Tel Naga, but why are there 4 of them?)
key_obscure_alit_warren - "Worn Key"
key_shipwreck9-11 - "Rusty Key"
key_shushishi - "Bandit's Key"
(Something to do with Shushishi, of course, but I can't find anything there
that this key fits.)
key_standard_01 - "Standard Key"
key_temple_01 - "Temple Key"
(These two may not actually exist, but be simply leftovers from the
development process.)

I've also noticed that there's a few keys which are used in multiple
locations, but I think I'm just going to leave those alone. I've uploaded a
version to www.tesmods.net if anyone is interested in it now. (Not sure how
long they take before making the uploads visible, so it may be a day or
two.)

> key_nelothtelnaga - "Key to Tel Naga"
> key_nelothtelnaga2 - "Key to Tel Naga"
> key_nelothtelnaga3 - "Key to Tel Naga"
> key_nelothtelnaga4 - "Key to Tel Naga"
> (These are obviously related to Tel Naga, but why are there 4 of them?)

This is a Telvanni quest. You need to fetch the Tel Naga key and are
told to get it from one of the Tel Naga people, but several would have
one, so it doesn't matter which one you get. The questgiver is satisfied
with any of these keys.

Better leave those keys alone, as they are quest items.

> > key_nelothtelnaga - "Key to Tel Naga"
> > key_nelothtelnaga2 - "Key to Tel Naga"
> > key_nelothtelnaga3 - "Key to Tel Naga"
> > key_nelothtelnaga4 - "Key to Tel Naga"
> > (These are obviously related to Tel Naga, but why are there 4 of them?)
>
> This is a Telvanni quest. You need to fetch the Tel Naga key and are
> told to get it from one of the Tel Naga people, but several would have
> one, so it doesn't matter which one you get. The questgiver is satisfied
> with any of these keys.

Generally in cases like that, they don't bother making 4 seperate item IDs
for the object, just giving copies of one item to several people, but
whatever. (e.g. Key to Nerano Manor, early Thieve's Guild quest. Two
people have it, but it's still just one ID.)

> Better leave those keys alone, as they are quest items.

It probably wouldn't matter, as I'm only changing the display names, and any
code to check for them would look at the IDs. But anyhow, the name is
descriptive enough in this case, I guess. I'll take these off the list of
unknowns, though. Thanks.

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:42:39 -0500, Darrel Hoffman <i.dont@think.so> wrote:

> ... If anybody has info on any of the following keys, let me know.

The following keys open different locks in the Tel Naga Upper Tower:

> key_nelothtelnaga - "Key to Tel Naga"
Opens the Chest next to Endar Drenim as well as Engaer's room door.

> key_nelothtelnaga2 - "Key to Tel Naga"
Opens the door to Neloth's alchemy room

> key_nelothtelnaga3 - "Key to Tel Naga"
Didn't find its lock, either. Sorry.

> key_nelothtelnaga4 - "Key to Tel Naga"
Opens the door opposite to Engaer's room.

> key_standard_01 - "Standard Key"
> key_temple_01 - "Temple Key"
> (These two may not actually exist, but be simply leftovers from the
> development process.)

That seems to be the case with the rest of your unknown keys as well.
With the exception of
> key_hasphat_antabolis2 - "Small Key"
they aren't even placed ingame.

Hope I could help a bit...

Björn

> The following keys open different locks in the Tel Naga Upper Tower:

Thanks for the info.

Okay, so knowing which locks these open, do you think it would be
appropriate for me to explicitly name them so that other people using the
mod would know as well? Or would that be considered a spoiler? (For
example, I didn't rename any of Divath's numbered keys, as I think that
finding which key opens which chest is part of that mission, and if it were
known in advance, it might be a bit of a spoiler.) Having not played this
far into the Telvanni missions, I don't know if knowing the specific uses of
those keys could be considered a spoiler or not...

> > key_standard_01 - "Standard Key"
> > key_temple_01 - "Temple Key"
> > (These two may not actually exist, but be simply leftovers from the
> > development process.)
>
> That seems to be the case with the rest of your unknown keys as well.
> With the exception of
> > key_hasphat_antabolis2 - "Small Key"
> they aren't even placed ingame.

Yeah, I've noticed that even though some keys (and other items) are not
placed in the game, you can still acquire them. Often, as part of a quest,
a character will have in their dialogue script a line that says:

player->AddItem "Such_and_such" 1

And this isn't counted when you look at the usage stats on items. I guess
this is done so that the ONLY way to get the item is by doing the quest
that's associated with it. As in, you can't find it by pick-pocketing or
killing the quest-giver. Since there's no easy way to check every NPC,
every chest, and every door in the game to see if these keys are maybe used
anywhere, I'm pretty much stuck on those. This is why I opened the question
up to the forum, on the off-chance anybody else had encountered these keys
and knew what they were used for. I've also included the list in the readme
for the mod, so if anybody that runs the mod happens to find them, they can
contact me and I can update it. But for now, I've pretty much done all I
can do.

Incidentally, the mod is now available on www.tesmods.net, in the
Miscellaneous section. Yay! My first published mod. My second is up there
as well, "Lurlock's Scroll Icons", (Graphic Replacers section) which
basically just gives all the scrolls unique icons indicating what they do,
so they don't all look alike. Next challenge: Lurlock's Left Gloves. Tired
of all the left gloves and pauldrons all looking exactly like the right
ones... Now I just gotta figure out how to import the models into Max so I
can mirror them...

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:41:39 -0500, Darrel Hoffman <i.dont@think.so> wrote:

> Okay, so knowing which locks these open, do you think it would be
> appropriate for me to explicitly name them so that other people using the
> mod would know as well? Or would that be considered a spoiler?

I would label them as "Tel Naga room key" or something similar. This
way people get an idea where those keys might fit.

> ... I didn't rename any of Divath's numbered keys, as I think that
> finding which key opens which chest is part of that mission, and if it
> were known in advance, it might be a bit of a spoiler.)

I completely agree. By the way, renaming those keys would be quite
difficult. You would have to label them something like "key for chest in
corner of Corprusarium bowels". I couldn't think of a worse name.

> Having not played this far into the Telvanni missions, I don't know if
> knowing the specific uses of those keys could be considered a spoiler
> or not...

I can't help you on that issue, either. So far, I've never played a
Telvanni.

Björn

> > Okay, so knowing which locks these open, do you think it would be
> > appropriate for me to explicitly name them so that other people using
the
> > mod would know as well? Or would that be considered a spoiler?
>
> I would label them as "Tel Naga room key" or something similar. This
> way people get an idea where those keys might fit.

In this case, I think it might be fine to just leave them the way they are
then. "Tel Naga Room Key" is not much more descriptive than "Key to Tel
Naga", and at least in this case, you have a general clue as to where they
can be used, unlike all those "Rusty Key" and "Ancient Dwemer Key" things
you find all over the place. The purpose of this mod is to make the key
names distinctive to generally where they are used, not necessarily to give
you the specifics of which door they open.

> > ... I didn't rename any of Divath's numbered keys, as I think that
> > finding which key opens which chest is part of that mission, and if it
> > were known in advance, it might be a bit of a spoiler.)
>
> I completely agree. By the way, renaming those keys would be quite
> difficult. You would have to label them something like "key for chest in
> corner of Corprusarium bowels". I couldn't think of a worse name.

True, but I suppose I could have labelled the last one "Divath's Chest Key"
or something like that, but really, there's no reason.

I never have figured out where many many of the keys are used.
Take that Crude Bronze Key (I think that's the one) that you
get from the woman with a dagger. Has anyone ever found
what it opens? I just ignor keys, mostly, except ones that
have very obvious purposes (like slave keys).

> I never have figured out where many many of the keys are used.
> Take that Crude Bronze Key (I think that's the one) that you
> get from the woman with a dagger. Has anyone ever found
> what it opens? I just ignor keys, mostly, except ones that
> have very obvious purposes (like slave keys).

The only "Crude Bronze Key" listed in the CS is for the cells in Mamaea, a
6th cult stronghold. Do you know the name of the woman with a dagger? I
could probably figure it out from that.

I also ignore keys with many characters, preferring to practice my Security
skill when I see them. Obviously, slave keys you need, since you can't pick
those. and there are a few other places where the key is required, as some
doors and chests are scripted so they only work with the key. But there are
some places where unless you're REALLY good at lock-picking, you need to
have the key. Or I suppose you could carry Ekash's Locksplitters around for
those really tough locks. I don't know. I just figured it was a pretty
easy mod to make for my first, and it didn't look like anybody had already
done it, so I took the challenge.

Let us know when you finish the mod.

A sixth house base might fit....the woman with the dagger is the one
in the sewers in vivec that is killing foreigners. Sorry, no idea of
the
name.

> Let us know when you finish the mod.
>
> A sixth house base might fit....the woman with the dagger is the one
> in the sewers in vivec that is killing foreigners. Sorry, no idea of
> the name.

It's essentially finished, other than those keys I couldn't find info for.
You can find it at www.tesmods.net in the Miscelaneous section. Look for
"Key Namer".

My second mod is much more useful, I think. It's in the Graphics Replacers
section, called "Lurlock's Scroll Icons". If gives all those otherwise
identical-looking scrolls unique icons color coded by school and bearing the
icons of the spell they cast.

I'm working on a third, now, flipping the graphics for the left and right
gloves so you can tell the difference. The icons are all done, but the
models are giving me hell. About half of them won't import into Max, so I
don't know what to do about that. I may screw the models and just change
the icons.

TRENDING THREADS