re-install norton?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

hi. i'm new to this. i just installed xp over my 98 following instructions i
found on these pages which told me to disable my norton 2004. i'm wondering
now do i have to reinstall this or can i restore it from somewhere on my
computer and if so where? sorry if this seems like an elementary question.

thanks

shauna
11 answers Last reply
More about install norton
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi Shauna,

    How did you initially disable it?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Shauna" <Shauna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:85CC3913-7553-45AF-9B77-D4DCABE6C6E4@microsoft.com...
    > hi. i'm new to this. i just installed xp over my 98 following
    > instructions i
    > found on these pages which told me to disable my norton 2004. i'm
    > wondering
    > now do i have to reinstall this or can i restore it from somewhere on my
    > computer and if so where? sorry if this seems like an elementary
    > question.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > shauna
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi Rick; Before I installed xp i went into norton and "un-enabled" the
    features. Appreciate your respones.

    thanks.
    sa

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Shauna,
    >
    > How did you initially disable it?
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Shauna" <Shauna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:85CC3913-7553-45AF-9B77-D4DCABE6C6E4@microsoft.com...
    > > hi. i'm new to this. i just installed xp over my 98 following
    > > instructions i
    > > found on these pages which told me to disable my norton 2004. i'm
    > > wondering
    > > now do i have to reinstall this or can i restore it from somewhere on my
    > > computer and if so where? sorry if this seems like an elementary
    > > question.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > shauna
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    For what it's worth, Shauna, just pray that you don't
    have to uninstall and reinstall Norton software. Their
    instructions for doing so involve links to a dozen of
    their URLs, and each link requires typing out and then
    each has several more URLs. And it involves digging into
    the Registry to find their stuff and delete it.

    I've been living with a "Live Update" error message
    every time it updates, because I won't risk doing
    what they told me. Did you notice that you never see
    Symantec people offering to solve problems here?

    Rotsa Ruck.

    Bill Lurie

    shauna wrote:
    > Hi Rick; Before I installed xp i went into norton and "un-enabled" the
    > features. Appreciate your respones.
    >
    > thanks.
    > sa
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Hi Shauna,
    >>
    >>How did you initially disable it?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Best of Luck,
    >>
    >>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >>"Shauna" <Shauna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>news:85CC3913-7553-45AF-9B77-D4DCABE6C6E4@microsoft.com...
    >>
    >>>hi. i'm new to this. i just installed xp over my 98 following
    >>>instructions i
    >>>found on these pages which told me to disable my norton 2004. i'm
    >>>wondering
    >>>now do i have to reinstall this or can i restore it from somewhere on my
    >>>computer and if so where? sorry if this seems like an elementary
    >>>question.
    >>>
    >>>thanks
    >>>
    >>>shauna
    >>
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi Shauna,

    Then you should be able to simply re-enable it. Simply open it from the
    start menu, or if need be drill into the program folder and start it. Go
    back to the options and restart the automatic options.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "shauna" <shauna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:7E85E8BF-F676-49CB-A663-501039363A0C@microsoft.com...
    > Hi Rick; Before I installed xp i went into norton and "un-enabled" the
    > features. Appreciate your respones.
    >
    > thanks.
    > sa
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Shauna,
    >>
    >> How did you initially disable it?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,
    >>
    >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Shauna" <Shauna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:85CC3913-7553-45AF-9B77-D4DCABE6C6E4@microsoft.com...
    >> > hi. i'm new to this. i just installed xp over my 98 following
    >> > instructions i
    >> > found on these pages which told me to disable my norton 2004. i'm
    >> > wondering
    >> > now do i have to reinstall this or can i restore it from somewhere on
    >> > my
    >> > computer and if so where? sorry if this seems like an elementary
    >> > question.
    >> >
    >> > thanks
    >> >
    >> > shauna
    >>
    >>
    >>
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Shauna wrote:
    > hi. i'm new to this. i just installed xp over my 98 following instructions i
    > found on these pages which told me to disable my norton 2004. i'm wondering
    > now do i have to reinstall this or can i restore it from somewhere on my
    > computer and if so where? sorry if this seems like an elementary question.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > shauna
    Shauna,
    If all you did is "Disable" then just go back to the program and
    "Enable" it. The easiest way is to right click the program Icon in the
    bottom Tool bar and click "Enable".
    Gene K
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    You might have done that quite a while back, because they have a little
    utility called RemoveNAV which does a good job at cleaning what the
    uninstaller leaves behind. The latest is for 2003 but works just fine in
    2004. As for LU, if you happen to uninstall it, best is to uninstall the AV
    and then it gets reinstalled when you reinstall NAV.

    In messing around with the registry, doing three searches, LiveUpdate,
    Norton, & Symantec, and deleting every key that contains either of these
    three values causes no harm. Of course this would be done after the
    uninstall, but as I said before, the utility takes care of it all.

    To Shauna, if you disabled the antivirus, then it should be a matter of
    re-enabling it again. However, if you do not have the icon by the clock you
    might want to find the folder where it was installed and try running the
    program. Sorry but I forgot what exactly is the file name that launches NAV,
    but you can rather easily guess by the icon next to the file name.

    "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    news:uJEDh9WtEHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > For what it's worth, Shauna, just pray that you don't
    > have to uninstall and reinstall Norton software. Their
    > instructions for doing so involve links to a dozen of
    > their URLs, and each link requires typing out and then
    > each has several more URLs. And it involves digging into
    > the Registry to find their stuff and delete it.
    >
    > I've been living with a "Live Update" error message
    > every time it updates, because I won't risk doing
    > what they told me. Did you notice that you never see
    > Symantec people offering to solve problems here?
    >
    > Rotsa Ruck.
    >
    > Bill Lurie
    >
    > shauna wrote:
    >> Hi Rick; Before I installed xp i went into norton and "un-enabled" the
    >> features. Appreciate your respones.
    >>
    >> thanks.
    >> sa
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Hi Shauna,
    >>>
    >>>How did you initially disable it?
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Best of Luck,
    >>>
    >>>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >>>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>>"Shauna" <Shauna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>news:85CC3913-7553-45AF-9B77-D4DCABE6C6E4@microsoft.com...
    >>>
    >>>>hi. i'm new to this. i just installed xp over my 98 following
    >>>>instructions i
    >>>>found on these pages which told me to disable my norton 2004. i'm
    >>>>wondering
    >>>>now do i have to reinstall this or can i restore it from somewhere on my
    >>>>computer and if so where? sorry if this seems like an elementary
    >>>>question.
    >>>>
    >>>>thanks
    >>>>
    >>>>shauna
    >>>
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks, Alphonse......of course, in prodding Symantec to get
    rid of the LU1848 error, which they gave me pages of stuff
    to read and follow, they never mentioned that utility......
    Bill L.

    Alphonse wrote:
    > You might have done that quite a while back, because they have a little
    > utility called RemoveNAV which does a good job at cleaning what the
    > uninstaller leaves behind. The latest is for 2003 but works just fine in
    > 2004. As for LU, if you happen to uninstall it, best is to uninstall the AV
    > and then it gets reinstalled when you reinstall NAV.
    >
    > In messing around with the registry, doing three searches, LiveUpdate,
    > Norton, & Symantec, and deleting every key that contains either of these
    > three values causes no harm. Of course this would be done after the
    > uninstall, but as I said before, the utility takes care of it all.
    >
    > To Shauna, if you disabled the antivirus, then it should be a matter of
    > re-enabling it again. However, if you do not have the icon by the clock you
    > might want to find the folder where it was installed and try running the
    > program. Sorry but I forgot what exactly is the file name that launches NAV,
    > but you can rather easily guess by the icon next to the file name.
    >
    > "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > news:uJEDh9WtEHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    >
    >>For what it's worth, Shauna, just pray that you don't
    >>have to uninstall and reinstall Norton software. Their
    >>instructions for doing so involve links to a dozen of
    >>their URLs, and each link requires typing out and then
    >>each has several more URLs. And it involves digging into
    >>the Registry to find their stuff and delete it.
    >>
    >>I've been living with a "Live Update" error message
    >>every time it updates, because I won't risk doing
    >>what they told me. Did you notice that you never see
    >>Symantec people offering to solve problems here?
    >>
    >>Rotsa Ruck.
    >>
    >>Bill Lurie
    >>
    >>shauna wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi Rick; Before I installed xp i went into norton and "un-enabled" the
    >>>features. Appreciate your respones.
    >>>
    >>>thanks.
    >>>sa
    >>>
    >>>"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Hi Shauna,
    >>>>
    >>>>How did you initially disable it?
    >>>>
    >>>>--
    >>>>Best of Luck,
    >>>>
    >>>>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >>>>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>>>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>>>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>>>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>>
    >>>>"Shauna" <Shauna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>>news:85CC3913-7553-45AF-9B77-D4DCABE6C6E4@microsoft.com...
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>hi. i'm new to this. i just installed xp over my 98 following
    >>>>>instructions i
    >>>>>found on these pages which told me to disable my norton 2004. i'm
    >>>>>wondering
    >>>>>now do i have to reinstall this or can i restore it from somewhere on my
    >>>>>computer and if so where? sorry if this seems like an elementary
    >>>>>question.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>thanks
    >>>>>
    >>>>>shauna
    >>>>
    >
    >


    --
    William B. Lurie
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi folks. Thanks to all for your responses to my problem. Unfortunately, I
    don't have an icon or any reference to Norton 04 in my programs or start
    menu. Searching further into my program files, norton is there but i can't
    find anything that would allow me to enable it. I've opened all the files
    and nothing, just operating files. I suppose i'm off to my friendly
    neighborhood service tech. sigh.

    sa

    "Gene K" wrote:

    > Shauna wrote:
    > > hi. i'm new to this. i just installed xp over my 98 following instructions i
    > > found on these pages which told me to disable my norton 2004. i'm wondering
    > > now do i have to reinstall this or can i restore it from somewhere on my
    > > computer and if so where? sorry if this seems like an elementary question.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > shauna
    > Shauna,
    > If all you did is "Disable" then just go back to the program and
    > "Enable" it. The easiest way is to right click the program Icon in the
    > bottom Tool bar and click "Enable".
    > Gene K
    >
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Norton, and other near-system-level software, is specific to the operating
    system. That is, it automatically installed the correct *.DLL files for the
    operating system that it senses. If you upgrade the OS, the Norton products
    will not work and worse, if they did work, they could damge the file system.

    So, you must uninstall all Norton products (MacAfee, too, if you have any).
    You must also uninstall CD writing software, like Easy CD Creator or Nero.
    You do not have to uninstall Office 97 or 2000; they seems to work OK under
    XP, although you might need to install the latest service pack for Office.

    You should have uninstalled Norton BEFORE upgrading to XP, since the
    add/remove programs feature of XP will probably not uninstall it completely,
    since it was installed under 98. Go to the Norton support site and search
    for how to manually uninstall Norton. Thye might even have an uninstaller
    tool. Ditto for Easy CD Creator, if you have it. I know they offer an
    uninstaller tool.

    Once you get rid of Norton, completely, reboot (good practice), then
    re-install.

    While it is a bit late to mention this, Microssoft offer a free Upgrade
    Advisor that would have scanned your PC for both hardware and software
    incompatibilities with XP, and suggested what to do to fix them.

    "Shauna" <Shauna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:85CC3913-7553-45AF-9B77-D4DCABE6C6E4@microsoft.com...
    > hi. i'm new to this. i just installed xp over my 98 following
    > instructions i
    > found on these pages which told me to disable my norton 2004. i'm
    > wondering
    > now do i have to reinstall this or can i restore it from somewhere on my
    > computer and if so where? sorry if this seems like an elementary
    > question.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > shauna
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Shauna, on my XP, I find

    C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\SymantecShared\Nmain.exe

    I'd do a search for Nmain.exe and then see if you can get
    it to run from there. That's a start.......

    Bill L.

    shauna wrote:
    > Hi folks. Thanks to all for your responses to my problem. Unfortunately, I
    > don't have an icon or any reference to Norton 04 in my programs or start
    > menu. Searching further into my program files, norton is there but i can't
    > find anything that would allow me to enable it. I've opened all the files
    > and nothing, just operating files. I suppose i'm off to my friendly
    > neighborhood service tech. sigh.
    >
    > sa
    >
    > "Gene K" wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Shauna wrote:
    >>
    >>>hi. i'm new to this. i just installed xp over my 98 following instructions i
    >>>found on these pages which told me to disable my norton 2004. i'm wondering
    >>>now do i have to reinstall this or can i restore it from somewhere on my
    >>>computer and if so where? sorry if this seems like an elementary question.
    >>>
    >>>thanks
    >>>
    >>>shauna
    >>
    >>Shauna,
    >>If all you did is "Disable" then just go back to the program and
    >>"Enable" it. The easiest way is to right click the program Icon in the
    >>bottom Tool bar and click "Enable".
    >> Gene K
    >>


    --
    William B. Lurie
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Let me interject that Symantec will gladly tell you how
    to uninstall their software.

    In the 322-page User's Guide which came with Norton
    System Works 2004, Page 56 tells exactly how to Uninstall it.
    But when it doesn't uninstall you have to go to their website,
    and their on-line tech support is a "piece of work" in itself.

    The Manual starts with Add/Remove programs. But then you
    have to e-mail them (after a frustrating trip thru their
    automated knowledge base).
    It proceeds to tell you what to do next if that doesn't work.
    They will give you half a dozen links to their prepared texts
    on what you have to do. Then each of those prepared texts has
    half a dozen links to their other related documents. And you
    have to print them all out, because you can't just follow
    them online. And it ends up 30 to 35 pages of stuff that is
    a nightmare to read and follow.

    There's another alternative......paid phone support. I don't
    go that route, a a matter of principle.

    I gave up. I just will never buy a Symantec package again.

    Bob Harris wrote:
    > Norton, and other near-system-level software, is specific to the operating
    > system. That is, it automatically installed the correct *.DLL files for the
    > operating system that it senses. If you upgrade the OS, the Norton products
    > will not work and worse, if they did work, they could damge the file system.
    >
    > So, you must uninstall all Norton products (MacAfee, too, if you have any).
    > You must also uninstall CD writing software, like Easy CD Creator or Nero.
    > You do not have to uninstall Office 97 or 2000; they seems to work OK under
    > XP, although you might need to install the latest service pack for Office.
    >
    > You should have uninstalled Norton BEFORE upgrading to XP, since the
    > add/remove programs feature of XP will probably not uninstall it completely,
    > since it was installed under 98. Go to the Norton support site and search
    > for how to manually uninstall Norton. Thye might even have an uninstaller
    > tool. Ditto for Easy CD Creator, if you have it. I know they offer an
    > uninstaller tool.
    >
    > Once you get rid of Norton, completely, reboot (good practice), then
    > re-install.
    >
    > While it is a bit late to mention this, Microssoft offer a free Upgrade
    > Advisor that would have scanned your PC for both hardware and software
    > incompatibilities with XP, and suggested what to do to fix them.
    >
    > "Shauna" <Shauna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:85CC3913-7553-45AF-9B77-D4DCABE6C6E4@microsoft.com...
    >
    >>hi. i'm new to this. i just installed xp over my 98 following
    >>instructions i
    >>found on these pages which told me to disable my norton 2004. i'm
    >>wondering
    >>now do i have to reinstall this or can i restore it from somewhere on my
    >>computer and if so where? sorry if this seems like an elementary
    >>question.
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>
    >>shauna
    >
    >
    >


    --
    William B. Lurie
Ask a new question

Read More

Norton Microsoft Windows XP