Sign in with
Your question

PureVideo video file playback free?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 16, 2006 12:32:41 AM

Im going to use Purevideo for 2 things:
1. Enhancing Video Files, such as .AVI/.MPG (Dont watch TV since they cancelled CN)
2. Decoding .MP4 files and maybe MPEG and H.264 files for my PSP

Mostly though, i care abt Playing Video Files on my PC. I watch TV shows on my PC as much as a normal person watches TV. So I can use Purevideo's features (De-interlacing, AA, color correction etc.)

So, is this feature free or if not, then is it bundled free with a certain brand of 7900?

Thnx!
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 12:49:01 AM

Quote:
1. Enhancing Video Files, such as .AVI/.MPG (Dont watch TV since they cancelled CN)

Mostly though, i care abt Playing Video Files on my PC. I watch TV shows on my PC as much as a normal person watches TV. So I can use Purevideo's features (De-interlacing, AA, color correction etc.)

So, is this feature free or if not, then is it bundled free with a certain brand of 7900?

Thnx!

It's not free... :( 

Check your PM though I have an alternative for you.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 2:05:44 AM

Quote:

Half of it is free, ie #1.

#2 costs extra (although I think you mean encode, not decode [decoding is free]).

So to encode for PSP just use one of the many free encoders out there.
And if you like to pull stuff from GoogleVideo no encoding needed, already done.

#1 was made free in the lastest driver (see the driver notes;

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_91.31.html

"New NVIDIA PureVideo features and enhancements. Please visit the NVIDIA PureVideo website for more information on PureVideo technology and system requirements.
Adds noise reduction post processing
Adds image sharpening post processing
Improved Inverse telecine algorithm
Improved de-interlacing algorithm
Improved compatibility with third party MPEG-2 decoders
"

Reviews of how it stacks up to AVIVO should be coming soon from the usual suspects (I suspect FiringSquad and Anand to be the potential firsts, if Crash doesn't do it for THG here)

Quote:
It's not free... :( 

Part of it is, just the first part the video playback, the encoding is the pay portion. Anywhoo, hopefully the link you sent him will set him straight otherwise he can just check sites like afterdawn and doom9 for free stuff or places like pirates bay for not so free. :twisted:
Related resources
August 16, 2006 2:37:34 AM

So wathing video files (.mgp/.avi/H.264) is FREE (under latest drivers, possibly to compete with AVIVO).
Thats the DECODING part

The ENCODING part, for my PSP isnt free, but i can get it for free illegaly (im a criminal)?

Can u explain to me how this works though cause i still havnt gotten it.

I have the 7900 GTX (lets say).
Now i have Purevideo on my card (hardwre). But inorder to use it, i need some codec (FREE drivers) and a decoder (FREE illegaly)?
Is there something else i need to buy?

And is AVIVO just Purevideo WITH a free decoder??

Can we talk on MSN Messenger, Big colorfull Ape dude?
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 2:57:53 AM

Quote:

The ENCODING part, for my PSP isnt free, but i can get it for free illegaly (im a criminal)?

Yeah or you can forgoe the VPU assisted benifits and just use a free program like PSPVideo9;
http://www.pspvideo9.com/

(although if you don't donate that makes you a moocher, not a criminal :wink: )

Quote:
I have the 7900 GTX (lets say).
Now i have Purevideo on my card (hardwre).

Not really pure video, but a section for decoding and encoding acceleration.

Quote:
But inorder to use it, i need some codec (FREE drivers) and a decoder (FREE illegaly)?

Decoder is free.

Quote:
Is there something else i need to buy?

If you want to ENcode or TransCode then you either need to buy or obtain the nV VPU assisted converter program.

Quote:
And is AVIVO just Purevideo WITH a free decoder??

No, they are different and work differently, and while this may have changed with nV's new update, ATi's decoder and converter/encoder have been faster and less CPU intensive than nV's. And both the AVIVO decoder and encoder is free, although they are separate downloads (decoding is in the CatalystControlCentre Software, encoding is the converter software).

http://www.ati.com/technology/avivo/index.html

http://www.ati.com/technology/Avivo/technology.html

Here's some insight into the launch of the decoder to help you ge and idea of how it works;

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/avivo.html
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/avivo_1.html

Quote:
Can we talk on MSN Messenger, Big colorfull Ape dude?

Nope, but you can send a PM if you want info outside of prying eyes, just don't let it be habit forming. :lol: 
August 16, 2006 3:29:02 AM

Video playback is free, encoding isn't.
August 16, 2006 3:35:30 AM

You know, its become known here.. every person on these forums that ive asked the MSN Messenger address of, has said they rather not give it up.
Id be happy to talk to ppl on MSN, its not different then helping out here, other then here having the option to help only when i want to and not have someone talking to me whenever they wish.. but then i could just log on whenever i want to help..
So whats wrong with all of use?
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 3:49:56 AM

Quote:
You know, its become known here.. every person on these forums that ive asked the MSN Messenger address of, has said they rather not give it up.

Plain and simple, I just don't use MSN. I was an MIRCer a long time ago, and used TALK etc during the VMS/UNIX days at university in Mtl, but now I use internet voice calling, so why MSN your friends and family anymore? Sure I text on my phone, but only because I'm away from high speed.

Quote:
So whats wrong with all of use?

Just moved on I guess.

And I've got enough PMs , would I want them in my personal inbox/messenger client too?
August 16, 2006 4:39:02 AM

Maybe I can help. If your graphics card supports PureVideo then all you need to take advantage of it is a PureVideo MPEG2 software decoder. There are numerous products on the market that integrate the PureVideo decoder in their playback software. A few are Nero's Showtime and Intervideo's DVD XPack, along with nVidia's own PureVideo DVD Decoder. None of the applications are free.

You must have a hardware supported graphics card (or supported tv tuner card) and the PureVideo software decoder installed on your computer. I have the nVidia DualTV tuner card and the pictures are fabulous. It included a free copy of the bronze nVidia DVD Decoder software.

I've also had AVIVO and in my particular setup PureVideo beat it hands down for image quality. However, ATI's AVIVO Converter is unbelievably fast if your transcoding tv shows or videos to a portable device. This put me in a difficult position. Do I keep the fabulous image quality of PureVideo or go with the good image quality of AVIVO and the crazy fast AVIVO Converter? I stuck with PureVideo.

I just found out today I can by a dual PCI-E x16 motherboard and use one nVidia 7-series card for the main display and use a ATI X1K series card as the secondary display. This way I can have my fabulous image quality of PureVideo and also be able to transcode the tv shows using the AVIVO converter to MPEG-4.
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2006 5:09:05 AM

Quote:

\I've also had AVIVO and in my particular setup PureVideo beat it hands down for image quality. However, ATI's AVIVO Converter is unbelievably fast if your transcoding tv shows or videos to a portable device. This put me in a difficult position. Do I keep the fabulous image quality of PureVideo or go with the good image quality of AVIVO and the crazy fast AVIVO Converter? I stuck with PureVideo.

When did you last compare the output of the AVIVO software, and most reviewers have AVIVO ahead although lately they draw closer to equal, but they give the nod, especially since there's more tweakability than PureVideo. If it was a while back it's not surprising as the leap ahead didn't happen until AVIVO was fully enabled in the 5.13 drivers. But then again you say you have them both side by side when was the last time you tested and what material? There are some things that prefer each implementation like non-standard cadences, etc.

Anywhoo, interesting, can't wait to see a review of them by the usual suspects.
!