how to change the domain name

Ladies, Gentlemen,

I have a question for you.

Due to a big change here at the firm I work for, my bosses have decided they
must change the company name and consequently so must our domain name (DNS,
AD, Exchange, WEB, etc.) For our web site, the web hosting company will make
the changes and our ISP will modify the MX records but for everything
internal, I must take care of it. It's the first time that I must undertake
such a task and I do not want to ah heck it up.

Do any of you out there have any words of wisdom to share that would me help
complete this task successfully.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out.

In news:D6853FC3-D535-4A01-8D06-2800E88F1FB5@microsoft.com,
Jay-P <JayP@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Ladies, Gentlemen,
>
> I have a question for you.
>
> Due to a big change here at the firm I work for, my
> bosses have decided they must change the company name and
> consequently so must our domain name (DNS, AD, Exchange,
> WEB, etc.) For our web site, the web hosting company
> will make the changes and our ISP will modify the MX
> records but for everything internal, I must take care of
> it. It's the first time that I must undertake such a
> task and I do not want to ah heck it up.
>
> Do any of you out there have any words of wisdom to share
> that would me help complete this task successfully.
>
> Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out.

If you are using Windows 2000 Active Directory domain, renaming it is not an
option, the domain rename option was added in Windows Server 2003. The
domain rename is not available in SBS 2003, but there are other work arounds
for SBS.
With Windows 2000 your only option is to build a new domain from scratch,
then you can use ADMT to migrate the user and computer accounts to the new
domain. If you have multiple Win2k servers you can start your new domain on
one, set up trust between the new and old domain, then use ADMT.

So basically, what this comes down to is, you didn't provide enough
information for me to give better details of what you need to do.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

What additionnal info do you need Kevin?

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:D6853FC3-D535-4A01-8D06-2800E88F1FB5@microsoft.com,
> Jay-P <JayP@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Ladies, Gentlemen,
> >
> > I have a question for you.
> >
> > Due to a big change here at the firm I work for, my
> > bosses have decided they must change the company name and
> > consequently so must our domain name (DNS, AD, Exchange,
> > WEB, etc.) For our web site, the web hosting company
> > will make the changes and our ISP will modify the MX
> > records but for everything internal, I must take care of
> > it. It's the first time that I must undertake such a
> > task and I do not want to ah heck it up.
> >
> > Do any of you out there have any words of wisdom to share
> > that would me help complete this task successfully.
> >
> > Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out.
>
> If you are using Windows 2000 Active Directory domain, renaming it is not an
> option, the domain rename option was added in Windows Server 2003. The
> domain rename is not available in SBS 2003, but there are other work arounds
> for SBS.
> With Windows 2000 your only option is to build a new domain from scratch,
> then you can use ADMT to migrate the user and computer accounts to the new
> domain. If you have multiple Win2k servers you can start your new domain on
> one, set up trust between the new and old domain, then use ADMT.
>
> So basically, what this comes down to is, you didn't provide enough
> information for me to give better details of what you need to do.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

hey,
i had this issue when i was upgrading my domain to win2k,
i mistakenly did not named it right, so i contacted
microsoft and they sent me a script which basically
changed the name of the domain from netbios name to fqdn.
( they said this will come in 2003 version) i am not sure
where to locate in 2003, and i am also not sure that the
same script will do all you need for your exchange.
BUt i suggest give it a shot, call microsoft ($245)a call
explain your situation..and they will direct you to the
right place, if not they won't charge you for that.

Otherwise the second option is to go through the new
domain and migration path ???

Keep the newsgroup posted how you did it.

Take care

In news:0D357715-57FA-4431-90E1-D7BD0D3E2A9B@microsoft.com,
Jay-P <JayP@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> What additionnal info do you need Kevin?

The OS of your servers and the number of Servers/DCs you have. As I said,
Win2k3 domains except SBS 2003 can be renamed. If your DCs are Win2k, you
cannot rename, you must start a new Domain on another server, set up trust
between the new and old domain, then use Active Directory Migration Tool to
migrate the accounts. The nice thing about ADMT, you can migrate the user
accounts with their SID which allows the users to keep their current
profiles on their workstations. They'll never notice the difference except
for the domain name change in Network Places.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

I have one Win 2K server running DNS, AD and Exchange 5.5 SP3 as well as 80
users ALL on Win2K pro.

I am pushing hard on my CIO to allocate a budget sufficient to replace the
one server with three to separate services and insure more security and fault
tolerance but I don't think that will be happenning anytime soon. So for now
I must work with what I have.

So if I understand correctly I must create a new domain on my server migrate
all my users to that domain and then I can delete the old domain? How will
this affect my exchange server (which is critical here).

Thanks for your help Kevin, I really appreciate it.

In news:252F2309-C827-4E32-8714-5F6CF8E30808@microsoft.com,
Jay-P <JayP@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have one Win 2K server running DNS, AD and Exchange 5.5
> SP3 as well as 80 users ALL on Win2K pro.
>
> I am pushing hard on my CIO to allocate a budget
> sufficient to replace the one server with three to
> separate services and insure more security and fault
> tolerance but I don't think that will be happenning
> anytime soon. So for now I must work with what I have.
>
> So if I understand correctly I must create a new domain
> on my server migrate all my users to that domain and then
> I can delete the old domain? How will this affect my
> exchange server (which is critical here).

You will have to create a new domain on another server, then migrate the
accounts to it. Exchange complicates this, I would suggest you post this
scenario in the Exchange group for ideas on how you can migrate the Exchange
server to the new domain.
One advantage is once you get the migration done you can demote the old DC,
then promote it as a replica DC in the new domain you must build, giving you
fail over protection.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

So I guess I do not have any choice. Wether we like it or not we will need a
new server (preferably 3, I really want to separate the network services; DC,
Xchg and F&P) .

My bosses are really going to enjoy this one. Now I must go and prepare my
case. You see, I work in a law firm. So I must be very convincing and
provide solid proof to support my findings.

Thank you very much for the info, I new I would find my answers here.

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:252F2309-C827-4E32-8714-5F6CF8E30808@microsoft.com,
> Jay-P <JayP@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > I have one Win 2K server running DNS, AD and Exchange 5.5
> > SP3 as well as 80 users ALL on Win2K pro.
> >
> > I am pushing hard on my CIO to allocate a budget
> > sufficient to replace the one server with three to
> > separate services and insure more security and fault
> > tolerance but I don't think that will be happenning
> > anytime soon. So for now I must work with what I have.
> >
> > So if I understand correctly I must create a new domain
> > on my server migrate all my users to that domain and then
> > I can delete the old domain? How will this affect my
> > exchange server (which is critical here).
>
> You will have to create a new domain on another server, then migrate the
> accounts to it. Exchange complicates this, I would suggest you post this
> scenario in the Exchange group for ideas on how you can migrate the Exchange
> server to the new domain.
> One advantage is once you get the migration done you can demote the old DC,
> then promote it as a replica DC in the new domain you must build, giving you
> fail over protection.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

In news:3a8301c4a574$66eaf4c0$a301280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> hey,
> i had this issue when i was upgrading my domain to win2k,
> i mistakenly did not named it right, so i contacted
> microsoft and they sent me a script which basically
> changed the name of the domain from netbios name to fqdn.
> ( they said this will come in 2003 version) i am not sure
> where to locate in 2003, and i am also not sure that the
> same script will do all you need for your exchange.
> BUt i suggest give it a shot, call microsoft ($245)a call
> explain your situation..and they will direct you to the
> right place, if not they won't charge you for that.
>
> Otherwise the second option is to go through the new
> domain and migration path ???
>
> Keep the newsgroup posted how you did it.

I beleive the script you are referring to is to fix the domain suffix on a
DC, not to change a domain name. I know of no script or any way to rename a
Win2k domain.

--

In news:DA5C4C10-8183-429E-B292-30D8077F0C8C@microsoft.com,
Jay-P <JayP@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> So I guess I do not have any choice. Wether we like it
> or not we will need a new server (preferably 3, I really
> want to separate the network services; DC, Xchg and F&P) .
>
> My bosses are really going to enjoy this one. Now I must
> go and prepare my case. You see, I work in a law firm.
> So I must be very convincing and provide solid proof to
> support my findings.
>
> Thank you very much for the info, I new I would find my
> answers here.

This KB article show you the only situation in which you can rename a Win2k
domain, it requires you to have NT4 BDCs and still be in mixed mode.
292541 - How to Rename the DNS Name of a Windows 2000 Domain:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292541&Product=win2000

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Thank you Kevin, I had just printed that Kb article a little earlier.

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:DA5C4C10-8183-429E-B292-30D8077F0C8C@microsoft.com,
> Jay-P <JayP@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > So I guess I do not have any choice. Wether we like it
> > or not we will need a new server (preferably 3, I really
> > want to separate the network services; DC, Xchg and F&P) .
> >
> > My bosses are really going to enjoy this one. Now I must
> > go and prepare my case. You see, I work in a law firm.
> > So I must be very convincing and provide solid proof to
> > support my findings.
> >
> > Thank you very much for the info, I new I would find my
> > answers here.
>
> This KB article show you the only situation in which you can rename a Win2k
> domain, it requires you to have NT4 BDCs and still be in mixed mode.
> 292541 - How to Rename the DNS Name of a Windows 2000 Domain:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292541&Product=win2000
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

In news:Od4V3PXpEHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> made a post then I
commented below

> You will have to create a new domain on another server, then migrate
> the accounts to it. Exchange complicates this, I would suggest you
> post this scenario in the Exchange group for ideas on how you can
> migrate the Exchange server to the new domain.
> One advantage is once you get the migration done you can demote the
> old DC, then promote it as a replica DC in the new domain you must
> build, giving you fail over protection.

As for Exchange, you can use the ADMT v2 tool (from the Win2003 CD) to
import the user accounts into the new domain. Install Exchange in the new
domain first. Then use Exmerge to export the mailboxes from the old domain
and then import them into the new domain.

Too bad you can't upgrade to Win2003 and Ex2003/SP1. They both have rename
tools. Lot easier than re-creating shares, permissions and whatever else
that's been added over time.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

In news:3a8301c4a574$66eaf4c0$a301280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
made a post then I commented below
> hey,
> i had this issue when i was upgrading my domain to win2k,
> i mistakenly did not named it right, so i contacted
> microsoft and they sent me a script which basically
> changed the name of the domain from netbios name to fqdn.
> ( they said this will come in 2003 version) i am not sure
> where to locate in 2003, and i am also not sure that the
> same script will do all you need for your exchange.
> BUt i suggest give it a shot, call microsoft ($245)a call
> explain your situation..and they will direct you to the
> right place, if not they won't charge you for that.
>
> Otherwise the second option is to go through the new
> domain and migration path ???
>
> Keep the newsgroup posted how you did it.
>
> Take care

I agree with Kevin. Its probably the FixPrimaryDnsSuffix script and not an
AD domain rename tool. If it isn't, can you email us a copy please?

Thanks