Attach aftermarket cooler to gpu before or after burn-in?

racing_md

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Hello everyone. This is my first post although I have been lurking for a while. I have a couple of questions for you guys. This will be my first build... yes I jumped on the conroe bandwagon :) My set up is as follows:

core 2 duo 6600
Hiper 580W PSU
Thermaltake Armor Jr
Corsair xms2 5400c4 2x1 Gig
sapphire x850xt
2 x seagate 320 gig non-raid one for os other for storage
Ati silencer 5 for gpu
Abit ab9 pro

From my research here and on other sites I have learned that running stress tests on home build are a good idea immediately after build. I plan on running dual prime 95's in order to tax both cores. I don't plan on OC'ing and will be using the system for photo and occasional video editing, AutoCAD, and multi-tasking. How long do I need to run prime 95? Is overnight enough or 12 hrs or more? Also should I attach the ATI silencer before or after? If for some reason the gpu fails, would I run into problems RMA'ing if have removed and replaced the stock cooler? (I plan on using AS 5 which I guess I will have to remove if I have to put the stock cooler on for RMA). Thanks in advance for the help. Please drop any other info that my be helpful for my first build. Thanks

Mondoman

Splendid
... I plan on running dual prime 95's in order to tax both cores.
Good plan for the CPUs. However, it would probably be good to run something that taxes graphics, like a demo loop of a game.

How long do I need to run prime 95? Is overnight enough
Sounds good.

Also should I attach the ATI silencer before or after? If for some reason the gpu fails, would I run into problems RMA'ing if have removed and replaced the stock cooler?
Yes, so leave everything in original condition until you are sure you are keeping it. RMA for quick replacement is usually faster and easier within the initial (typically 15-30 day) period that the store offers, rather than the longer warranty period the manufacturer offers.