Popplesnop

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I recently purchased a Seagate Barracude 3.0 gbs/s 160 gb hard drive for a new build. The motherboard I will use it in is an AsRock Dual Sata2. It has a few connectors for SATA, and one for SATA ll. My questions are: will this drive work for installing my operating system and other programs on without having an IDE hardrive, can I hook this up to the SATA 2 connector and have it perform siginficantly better than if I simply hooked it up to a SATA connector, and is there anything that I need to do as far as creating drivers and preventing possible hang ups anywhere along the process.

thanks,
ben

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I recently purchased a Seagate Barracude 3.0 gbs/s 160 gb hard drive for a new build. The motherboard I will use it in is an AsRock Dual Sata2. It has a few connectors for SATA, and one for SATA ll. My questions are: will this drive work for installing my operating system and other programs on without having an IDE hardrive, can I hook this up to the SATA 2 connector and have it perform siginficantly better than if I simply hooked it up to a SATA connector, and is there anything that I need to do as far as creating drivers and preventing possible hang ups anywhere along the process.

thanks,
ben

First off there is no such such thing as "SATA 2"...it is not an offical computer standard but a marketing ploy.

As far as HD's themeslfs,no drive made for home users will use all the bandwith of a regular PATA connection.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Pretty much... the only drive I know of that can come close to filling SATA bandwidth is an enterprise drive but since you're using a simple SATAII drive just plug it in but you won't really notice a performance increase.