2000 to 2003 DNS

I am having problems creating a trust between the
existing 2000 domain and the new 2003 domain.

The 2000 domain is pg.com with a 10.10.11.x network. The
DC is 10.10.11.5. The new 2003
domain (etm.com) is eventually going to have a 10.10.13.x
network and be moved off site. However, in the mean time
I need to give it a 10.10.13.x network to create a trust
and move Exchange mailboxes over. Right now I gave the
DC on 2003 a static IP of 10.10.11.104 static IP and I
have 10.10.13.5 (DC on the 2000 network) as the DNS.
When I originally installed the 2003 domain I had used
the 10.10.13.x network, but changed it to the 10.10.11.x
network later.

To create the trust on 2003 I go into ADDT, right click
on the etm.com, go into properties, then to the Trusts
tab, then to New Trust. I type in PG.com then choose Two
Way for the direction of the trust. Then I choose This
Domain Only, and Domain-wide authentication, then enter a
password. It then tells me I must create the trust from
the other end.

On the 2000 side I do a similar thing, but it just asks
for the other domain and a password. It then informs me
that it cannot contact the other domain.

Then, when I try to migrate the Exchange mailboxes to
2003 it doesn't see the 2000 side.

Someone suggested that I forward DNS in Domain A to
Domain B and the other way around. How do I do this?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Tim
timm@symetriq.com

In news:028501c4a591$0f85e290$a401280a@phx.gbl,
timm@symetriq.com <timm@symetriq.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I am having problems creating a trust between the
> existing 2000 domain and the new 2003 domain.
>
> The 2000 domain is pg.com with a 10.10.11.x network. The
> DC is 10.10.11.5. The new 2003
> domain (etm.com) is eventually going to have a 10.10.13.x
> network and be moved off site. However, in the mean time
> I need to give it a 10.10.13.x network to create a trust
> and move Exchange mailboxes over. Right now I gave the
> DC on 2003 a static IP of 10.10.11.104 static IP and I
> have 10.10.13.5 (DC on the 2000 network) as the DNS.
> When I originally installed the 2003 domain I had used
> the 10.10.13.x network, but changed it to the 10.10.11.x
> network later.
>
> To create the trust on 2003 I go into ADDT, right click
> on the etm.com, go into properties, then to the Trusts
> tab, then to New Trust. I type in PG.com then choose Two
> Way for the direction of the trust. Then I choose This
> Domain Only, and Domain-wide authentication, then enter a
> password. It then tells me I must create the trust from
> the other end.
>
> On the 2000 side I do a similar thing, but it just asks
> for the other domain and a password. It then informs me
> that it cannot contact the other domain.
>
> Then, when I try to migrate the Exchange mailboxes to
> 2003 it doesn't see the 2000 side.
>
> Someone suggested that I forward DNS in Domain A to
> Domain B and the other way around. How do I do this?

Do not forward to DNS servers to each other, this will set you up for a DNS
loop. On the Win2k3, you can set a conditional Forwarder for the Win2k
domain name to the DNS server for the Win2k domain. On the Win2k, the only
thing you can do is create a secondary of the Win2k3 AD DNS zone.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:028501c4a591$0f85e290$a401280a@phx.gbl,
timm@symetriq.com <timm@symetriq.com> made a post then I commented below
> I am having problems creating a trust between the
> existing 2000 domain and the new 2003 domain.
>
> The 2000 domain is pg.com with a 10.10.11.x network. The
> DC is 10.10.11.5. The new 2003
> domain (etm.com) is eventually going to have a 10.10.13.x
> network and be moved off site. However, in the mean time
> I need to give it a 10.10.13.x network to create a trust
> and move Exchange mailboxes over. Right now I gave the
> DC on 2003 a static IP of 10.10.11.104 static IP and I
> have 10.10.13.5 (DC on the 2000 network) as the DNS.
> When I originally installed the 2003 domain I had used
> the 10.10.13.x network, but changed it to the 10.10.11.x
> network later.
>
> To create the trust on 2003 I go into ADDT, right click
> on the etm.com, go into properties, then to the Trusts
> tab, then to New Trust. I type in PG.com then choose Two
> Way for the direction of the trust. Then I choose This
> Domain Only, and Domain-wide authentication, then enter a
> password. It then tells me I must create the trust from
> the other end.
>
> On the 2000 side I do a similar thing, but it just asks
> for the other domain and a password. It then informs me
> that it cannot contact the other domain.
>
> Then, when I try to migrate the Exchange mailboxes to
> 2003 it doesn't see the 2000 side.
>
> Someone suggested that I forward DNS in Domain A to
> Domain B and the other way around. How do I do this?
>

> Any help at all would be appreciated.
>
> Tim
> timm@symetriq.com

Trusts between a 2000 and 2003 domain are "external" trusts and are soley
NetBIOS based, not DNS based. I assume both of these machines are on the
same subnet? You may also want to disable SMB signing, but I do not believe
this will be a factor, but may be.

811497 - Error Message When Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0 Client Logs On to
Windows Server 2003 Domain:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811497

What are you using to migrate the mailboxes? Exmerge? That's NetBIOS based
as well.

--
Regards,
Ace