New DNS server

I will be formatting and rebuilding my Win2K AD server, that is a DNS
(primary), DHCP, and WINS server.

Can I go to any Win2K SP4 Server secondary DNS server, click on the Make
Primary, and the original Primary Server will step down, or must I make the
Primary a secondary first, then promote the secondary to primary...?

Can I do the same for a Win2K3 secondary DNS server, promote it to primary
DNS very easily...?
3 answers Last reply
More about server

    In news:uH3I7gZpEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Tom K <tkarpowski@bennettcompany.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > I will be formatting and rebuilding my Win2K AD server,
    > that is a DNS (primary), DHCP, and WINS server.

    It is not wise to just format and rebuild a DC, it should be demoted to a
    member then removed from the domain first.

    > Can I go to any Win2K SP4 Server secondary DNS server,
    > click on the Make Primary, and the original Primary
    > Server will step down, or must I make the Primary a
    > secondary first, then promote the secondary to
    > primary...?
    >
    > Can I do the same for a Win2K3 secondary DNS server,
    > promote it to primary DNS very easily...?

    Are you using Standard Primary and Standard Secondary zones?
    If you have multiple DCs I would recommend using Active Directory Integrated
    zones instead. ADI zones are replicated to all DCs in the domain without
    further configuration.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Yes, I understand.

    But in regards to DNS, do I promote a secondary DNS server to Primary and
    the other primary will automatically go to secondary, or is there a special
    way to "swap" these roles.

    Also, can I swap them if one is on a Win2K and the other on a Win2K3
    server...?

    In news:ukCa58ZpEHA.516@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Tom K <tkarpowski@bennettcompany.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Yes, I understand.
    >
    > But in regards to DNS, do I promote a secondary DNS
    > server to Primary and the other primary will
    > automatically go to secondary, or is there a special way
    > to "swap" these roles.

    DNS servers are not promoted or demoted, zones can be Primary or Secondary
    or Primary stored in Active Directory(Active Directory integrated) and No,
    there is no way to automatically change the zone type. If you want to change
    the zone type, change the secondary to a primary, then change the primary to
    a secondary. If the zone is for an AD domain don't put the cart ahead of the
    horse, DNS is where Domain controllers store their service location records.

    > Also, can I swap them if one is on a Win2K and the other
    > on a Win2K3 server...?
    Yes.

    --
    Best regards,