DNS and DHCP advisesHi:

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi:

Appreciate your advises for the setup of DNS and/or DHCP services for
Windows Server 2003 in a small business wireless/LAN environment. You may
also point us to the sources where we can find additional information, as
our researches have come up little solutions for our situations.

Most of our services, such as email and web hosting, are outsourced to ISP
and we had a old intranet environment (Win 2K) just doing some simple file
sharing works.

Now, we have a DSL service (with an ISP assigned static IP address), several
wireless routers (.g) and are thinking to use Windows 2003 server (standard)
to have a similar but more integrated intranet environment. We know how to
set up DNS, DHCP server in a single machine, but were confused by linking
these things together, and here are the questions:

(1) DNS: We plan to have two DNS servers - one is for all Internet
connections through the primary router (which has DNS function) and using
its built-in IP address (192.168.x.x) and the other one is a intranet DNS in
the Windows Server 2003 (using 10.0.x.x.). The reason for this is that
intranet server will not always on and will be off quite often, and in which
case, we need all other systems can still access Internet.

So the question is, are there any averse effects for doing so and any things
that we need to be careful?

(2) DHCP server: We plan to use the primary router (which also has DHCP
server function) as the main DHCP server service, and all systems including
Windows Server 2003 are using DHCP client service.

So the question is, are there averse effects for doing so and any things
that we need to be careful?

(3) NIC cards and NAT: In this case, do we need just one or two network
cards, and do we need any NAT?

(4) Domain: In this case, can we still retain the intranet domain structure
and that each system can be a member of active directory user account?

Thanks for your kind advises, and if you have sources where we can do our
study, it will be greatly appreciated. We could not find any detailed
explanations or step-by-step instructions for the above situation.

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi:

I guess I posted to wrong group. Sorry for the mistake and welcome any
advises as well.

--
"xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:OqY$UoepEHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...