New DNS not resolving names

gmc

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

My server is not resolving...I have a intranet used dns server.... however
not resolving outside names....We are able to get out to the internet due to
our ISP resolving.. Its also not resolving internal server names...What shall
I do?

I think our email server may be affected by this...We are unble to send or
receive emails from the outside world on occassions.

We have a firewall with the DNS of our local server as a tertiary. It is is
a private ip address.

gmc wrote:
> My server is not resolving...I have a intranet used dns server....
> however not resolving outside names....We are able to get out to the
> internet due to our ISP resolving.. Its also not resolving internal
> server names...What shall I do?
>
> I think our email server may be affected by this...We are unble to
> send or receive emails from the outside world on occassions.
>
> We have a firewall with the DNS of our local server as a tertiary. It
> is is a private ip address.

Set up forwarders on your internal DNS server, that point to your ISP's DNS
servers. Have all local computers/servers specify only the internal DNS
server's IP address for DNS. You may need to remove the *.* (root domain)
in your Win2k DNS server before you can set up the forwarders.

Thanks...I did ssetup the forwarders to point to our ISP...Clients are using
DHCP in which the local DNS ip is listed first (ipconfig /all). I did notice
that local servers are now displaying in the name tab - in which they can be
resolved....This is my first and we are moving in this direction - starting
class in Dec. please explain "remove the root domain"....Thanks

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> gmc wrote:
> > My server is not resolving...I have a intranet used dns server....
> > however not resolving outside names....We are able to get out to the
> > internet due to our ISP resolving.. Its also not resolving internal
> > server names...What shall I do?
> >
> > I think our email server may be affected by this...We are unble to
> > send or receive emails from the outside world on occassions.
> >
> > We have a firewall with the DNS of our local server as a tertiary. It
> > is is a private ip address.
>
> Set up forwarders on your internal DNS server, that point to your ISP's DNS
> servers. Have all local computers/servers specify only the internal DNS
> server's IP address for DNS. You may need to remove the *.* (root domain)
> in your Win2k DNS server before you can set up the forwarders.

In news:CE0B2E08-A030-45E9-8476-848C4A757C53@microsoft.com,
gcummings <gcummings@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Thanks...I did ssetup the forwarders to point to our
> ISP...Clients are using DHCP in which the local DNS ip is
> listed first (ipconfig /all).

The local DNS should be the _ONLY_ DNS listed. Do not use your ISP's DNS on
any interface, in any position, on any AD domain member or DC.

> I did notice that local
> servers are now displaying in the name tab - in which
> they can be resolved....This is my first and we are
> moving in this direction - starting class in Dec. please
> explain "remove the root domain"....Thanks

How To Remove the Root Zone (Dot Zone):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298148

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:CE0B2E08-A030-45E9-8476-848C4A757C53@microsoft.com,
gcummings <gcummings@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
below
> Thanks...I did ssetup the forwarders to point to our ISP...Clients
> are using DHCP in which the local DNS ip is listed first (ipconfig
> /all).

"FIRST" ?? What's the second one? The ISP or something else?

Actually, as Lanwench and Kevin metioned, the ONLY one in there should be
the internal DNS, no external or firewall IP addresses shold be listed at
all. All sorts of things WILL go wrong otherwise.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.