DNS domain and host records with the same name

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 29, 2004 12:33:03 PM

I'm trying to add the following hosts to my DNS hierarchy:
services.mycompany.com
staging.services.mycompany.com

I've taken following steps:
1. Created the zone "com"
2. Create the domain "mycompany" under "com"
3. Create the domain "services" under "mycompany"
4. Create the host "staging" in the "services" domain

When I try to create the host entry "services" in the "mycompany" domain, I
get the following error:
"A domain of this name already exists. To create a record with this name,
select the domain and then create the record."

The problem is that I want to treat "services" as both a domain and a host.
Can't DNS differentiate entries by their type? Is there a way to create the
entries above?

Thank you.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 9:11:06 PM

In news:FBFD0419-CEAA-4B9C-9A01-D8F03045CE0E@microsoft.com,
Web Developer <WebDeveloper@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I'm trying to add the following hosts to my DNS hierarchy:
> services.mycompany.com
> staging.services.mycompany.com
>
> I've taken following steps:
> 1. Created the zone "com"<----If you create a com zone, your DNS server
will only answer for other names in com that you have delegated. Are you
sure you want this behavior?

> 2. Create the domain "mycompany" under "com"
> 3. Create the domain "services" under "mycompany"
> 4. Create the host "staging" in the "services" domain

Here is my suggestion:
Create Forward lookup zone "services.mycompany.com"
In the zone create one new host, leave the name field blank, give it the IP
address you want "services.mycompany.com" to resolve to. (Win2k will bark
saying "(same as parent folder) is not a valid host name" Click OK to create
the record anyway.
Then create one new host, name it "staging", give it the IP address you want
"staging.services.mycompany.com" to resolve to.

By creating the zone as services.mycompany.com it prevents your DNS from
conflicting with other names in mycompany.com.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Thank you for your reply Kevin. That worked perfectly!
!