Subdomain and delegation

If i using a subdomain , is it neccesary for me to delegate the
subdomain to other name server to host ? Pls advise. Thanks

REgards
Daniel

In news:6a6a9040.0409290932.3370cfbb@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> If i using a subdomain , is it neccesary for me to
> delegate the subdomain to other name server to host ? Pls
> advise. Thanks

If the zone for subdomain.example.com is on another DNS server, the answer
is yes.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

"Daniel Tan" <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote in message
> If i using a subdomain , is it neccesary for me to delegate the
> subdomain to other name server to host ? Pls advise. Thanks

Kevin (other post) is correct.

The word "necessary" may not apply here but it is normal.

If you are running the DNS for the child domain on different
servers then yes it is required but even if you are running it
on the same servers it would be normal to separate the zones
just as matter of style and clarity.

So, yes, you should delegate the child DNS zone that corresponds
to a child AD domain.

If you were running the DNS on another set of servers and didn't
delegate it would mess up your DNS searches (unless you
implemented some work-around and even then you would again
be violating good style and clarity.)

In news:6a6a9040.0409290932.3370cfbb@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> made a post then I commented below
> If i using a subdomain , is it neccesary for me to delegate the
> subdomain to other name server to host ? Pls advise. Thanks
>
> REgards
> Daniel

In addition to Kevin and Herb, NO, its NOT "necessary".

But it all depends on what your intentions are.

Ace

Kevin, yes my subdomain is located on another dns server (maybe
secondary server) and i've setup my local dns server trying to host
that subdomain myself to provide public dns and http server but it
didn't work.

Regards
Daniel

In news:6a6a9040.0409302231.17124e1c@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin, yes my subdomain is located on another dns server

Then the server that has example.com must have a delegation for subdomain,
then the server you are delegating to must have a zone named
'subdomain.example.com'

> (maybe secondary server) and i've setup my local dns server

I don't get this statement, DNS servers are not secondary servers, or
primary servers. You have primary and secondary zones on DNS servers.

> trying to host
> that subdomain myself to provide public dns and http
> server but it
> didn't work.

Without a domain name and the IP address of your DNS server it is very hard
to say what is wrong and why it doesn't work.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Martin, so do you mean that without delegating , the name resolution
won't works for child domain ?

Rgds
Daniel

"Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message news:<eiBzCQppEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> "Daniel Tan" <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote in message
> > If i using a subdomain , is it neccesary for me to delegate the
> > subdomain to other name server to host ? Pls advise. Thanks
>
> Kevin (other post) is correct.
>
> The word "necessary" may not apply here but it is normal.
>
> If you are running the DNS for the child domain on different
> servers then yes it is required but even if you are running it
> on the same servers it would be normal to separate the zones
> just as matter of style and clarity.
>
> So, yes, you should delegate the child DNS zone that corresponds
> to a child AD domain.
>
> If you were running the DNS on another set of servers and didn't
> delegate it would mess up your DNS searches (unless you
> implemented some work-around and even then you would again
> be violating good style and clarity.)

> > (maybe secondary server) and i've setup my local dns server
>
> I don't get this statement, DNS servers are not secondary servers, or
> primary servers. You have primary and secondary zones on DNS servers.

It's a common misunderstanding to think that "secondary
DNS servers" are for "child domains/zones."

You explained it correctly: EVERY zone has a Primary*,
and can have secondaries Secodaries.

(A Primary can be either a traditional single master Primary
or a "set of MS AD Integrated Primaries.)

And, Child Zones need to be delegated from the parent zone,
i.e., the parent zone will have entries for the child zone's DNS
servers.

By finding the parent, one can then find the DNS servers for the
child and thus the child zone itself.

--
Herb Martin

> Martin, so do you mean that without delegating , the name resolution
> won't works for child domain ?

That is approximately what I mean. I won't work for child
domains for those NOT pointing at the child domain DNS
servers.

How will a DNS client (might be a workstation or a DC)
pointing at a parent find the child machines?

(There are ways other than actual "delegation", but they aren't
obvious or particularly scalable, and they ultimately do the
same thing as delegation.)

The idea in DNS name spaces is that if the top of the DNS
hierarchy can be found (e.g., root, root hints) then anything
else in that name space can be found by searching downwards
through the delegations to the child zones and to anything that
is IN THAT NAMESPACE.

--
Herb Martin

> Rgds
> Daniel

> > "Daniel Tan" <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote in message
> > > If i using a subdomain , is it neccesary for me to delegate the
> > > subdomain to other name server to host ? Pls advise. Thanks
> >
> > Kevin (other post) is correct.
> >
> > The word "necessary" may not apply here but it is normal.
> >
> > If you are running the DNS for the child domain on different
> > servers then yes it is required but even if you are running it
> > on the same servers it would be normal to separate the zones
> > just as matter of style and clarity.
> >
> > So, yes, you should delegate the child DNS zone that corresponds
> > to a child AD domain.
> >
> > If you were running the DNS on another set of servers and didn't
> > delegate it would mess up your DNS searches (unless you
> > implemented some work-around and even then you would again
> > be violating good style and clarity.)

Kevin, do you mean my dns server can be delegated from the example.com
server ? i've created zone for the subdomain. i'm trying to host a
site using this subdomain name. Btw i have a fixed ip 218.111.250.62

Rgds
Daniel

> Kevin, do you mean my dns server can be delegated from the example.com
> server ? i've created zone for the subdomain. i'm trying to host a
> site using this subdomain name. Btw i have a fixed ip 218.111.250.62

Normal case:

Go to the parent zone Primary server and delegate ALL of the child zone
DNS servers using NS records (it's easy in the DNS MMC, right
click.)

For manual delegation you might also need to add the A records for
the NS (name servers) IF the NS is in the child zone itself (you cannot
find it's address unless you first find it or UNLESS you give it at the
parent.)

It is also quite possible for the child DNS server to be in an unrelated
zone but that is more likely on the Internet or other large
namespace/tree.

--
Herb Martin

In news:6a6a9040.0410011909.19fd1fd4@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin, do you mean my dns server can be delegated from
> the example.com
> server ?
Yes for the subdomain to work it would have to be delegated from
example.com. All DNS resolution is delegated from the Root, the root
delegate it to the com servers, the com server delegate it to the
example.com servers, the example.com server delegate it to the
subdomain.example.com servers.
The only way it will resolve without a delegation would be to be pointing
dierectly at the subdomain.example.com servers, you don't want that.

--

In news:6a6a9040.0410010725.53b04622@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> made a post then I commented below
> Martin, so do you mean that without delegating , the name resolution
> won't works for child domain ?
>
> Rgds
> Daniel

Short answer is, yes it will resolve. But it depends if you want to use the
DNS server hosting the parent zone. In that case, child folder (under the
parent zone), has a blank record with the IP address of your webserver. Or
you can delegate the child to some other DNS server. You would also create a
blank record with the IP address.

You can also create an A record called "child" under the parent zone, giving
it the IP of your web server.

Btw- I just want to point out, Herb's name is Herb. Martin is actually his
last name.

Ace

Kevin, my subdomain now is in hosted by another server which also host
the parent domain. so can it directly delegate to my private dns
server and make it a public dns server ?

In news:6a6a9040.0410040818.51ed7689@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Kevin, my subdomain now is in hosted by another server
> which also host
> the parent domain. so can it directly delegate to my
> private dns
> server and make it a public dns server ?

You would have to register a host name for your private DNS that has a
public IP address with your registrar.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

"Daniel Tan" <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote in message
> Kevin, my subdomain now is in hosted by another server which also host
> the parent domain. so can it directly delegate to my private dns
> server and make it a public dns server ?

Yes -- if by that you mean you have a server with the PARENT
domain publicly reachable then -- it can delegate publicly to
the child domain DNS server.

For the "public" delegation to really WORK, the child DNS
server(s) so delegated, but also be publicly reachable (public
IP AND not firewalled off.)

Try to always think of DNS ONE ZONE/DOMAIN at a time. It
doesn't really matter how many "zones or domains" a single
physical server "holds", they are each configured separately.

The one time you think about multiple domains, is when you are
"in the parent" and "delegating to the child".

Obviously you are working in the parent zone to setup the
delegation that will send searches to the child DNS servers.

--
Herb Martin

> Rgds
> Daniel
>
> "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> > In news:6a6a9040.0409302231.17124e1c@posting.google.com,
> > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> commented
> > Then Kevin replied below:
> > > Kevin, yes my subdomain is located on another dns server
> >
> > Then the server that has example.com must have a delegation for
subdomain,
> > then the server you are delegating to must have a zone named
> > 'subdomain.example.com'
> >
> > > (maybe secondary server) and i've setup my local dns server
> >
> > I don't get this statement, DNS servers are not secondary servers, or
> > primary servers. You have primary and secondary zones on DNS servers.
> >

> > > trying to host
> > > that subdomain myself to provide public dns and http
> > > server but it
> > > didn't work.
> >
> > Without a domain name and the IP address of your DNS server it is very
hard
> > to say what is wrong and why it doesn't work.
> >

> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> > Hope This Helps
> > ===================================
> > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
> > via your newsreader so that others may learn and
> > benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
> > me remove the nospam. from my email address.
> > ===================================
> > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> > ===================================
> > Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> > It will strip signature out and more
> > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> > ===================================
> > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
> > with OEBackup:
> > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
> > ===================================

Does it matter if i don;t have a domain name(FQDN) in my private dns
but just a fixed ip ?

Rgds
Daniel

> Does it matter if i don;t have a domain name(FQDN) in my private dns
> but just a fixed ip ?

I don't have any idea what yo mean by "don't have a domain name"
in your private DNS.

Nor to I understand "fixed ip" (in this context)?

Perhaps you mean you don't have a domain name for your internal
DNS server?

You must but that is easy, just give it a name in the parent domain
(if you own both) or in the child if which is more usual.

When the DNS name of a DNS server is WITHIN or BELOW the
parent domain you must add TWO records to delegate:

The NS record with the DNS name for the DNS server AND the child domain.

AND the A-record for the DNS server's name.

This can be something semi-standard like NS1.childdomain.com even
though you know the DNS server internally by some other name.

BTW, an FQDN is a name fully qualified and fully terminated by
a TRAILING dot.

--
Herb Martin

> Rgds
> Daniel

> > "Daniel Tan" <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote in message
> > > Kevin, my subdomain now is in hosted by another server which also host
> > > the parent domain. so can it directly delegate to my private dns
> > > server and make it a public dns server ?
> >
> > Yes -- if by that you mean you have a server with the PARENT
> > domain publicly reachable then -- it can delegate publicly to
> > the child domain DNS server.
> >
> > For the "public" delegation to really WORK, the child DNS
> > server(s) so delegated, but also be publicly reachable (public
> > IP AND not firewalled off.)
> >
> > Try to always think of DNS ONE ZONE/DOMAIN at a time. It
> > doesn't really matter how many "zones or domains" a single
> > physical server "holds", they are each configured separately.
> >
> > The one time you think about multiple domains, is when you are
> > "in the parent" and "delegating to the child".
> >
> > Obviously you are working in the parent zone to setup the
> > delegation that will send searches to the child DNS servers.
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> > > Rgds
> > > Daniel
> > >
> > > "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in
message

> > subdomain,

> > hard

Herb, what i mean is i don't have a public domain name that can be
reached in internet but have a fixed ip. i did create NS and A record.

Regards
Daniel

In news:6a6a9040.0410070942.2f8fd1cc@posting.google.com,
Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Herb, what i mean is i don't have a public domain name
> that can be
> reached in internet but have a fixed ip. i did create NS
> and A record.

You need a domain name, some registrars are under $10 a year domain names
are pretty reasonable.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

> You need a domain name, some registrars are under $10 a year domain names
> are pretty reasonable.

Correct, but the name doesn't need to be in any "particular"
zone/domain -- it just needs to be publicly registered.

One obvious place is in the PARENT domain -- or in one of
those fixup type zones -- like dynamic DNS many of them will
give you this for free even.

--
Herb Martin

> In news:6a6a9040.0410070942.2f8fd1cc@posting.google.com,
> Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Herb, what i mean is i don't have a public domain name
> > that can be
> > reached in internet but have a fixed ip. i did create NS
> > and A record.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]