robin

Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me at
all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either. I
just don't know what to do with it.
Thanks,
Robin

Robin,

Can you go to the website and manually scan your system? This should work.

"Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me at
> all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
> that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
> just don't know what to do with it.
> Thanks,
> Robin

robin

Hi, I have gone to the site
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us and
it just sits there and i the bottom of internet explorer it says done. And
also this is the message i get too: Checking for the latest version of the
Windows Update software...

Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During this
time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each security
warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click
Install or Yes to install the software.

I had try hitting refresh too. And same thing just keeps going to the same
page and can't get any further than this page.

I have road runner cable service. Running windows xp on HP pavilion 763n My
virus program is Etrust EZ antivirus and EZ firewall. Hope this info helps
some.

If you need any other info please let me know I will try to find it, so
someone can help me.

Thank you,
Robin

"Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
> Robin,
>
> Can you go to the website and manually scan your system? This should
> work.
>
> "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me
>> at
>> all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
>> that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
>> just don't know what to do with it.
>> Thanks,
>> Robin

Do you by any chance have NetSonic internet accelerator installed on your
pc?
> Hi, I have gone to the site
> http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us and
> it just sits there and i the bottom of internet explorer it says done. And
> also this is the message i get too: Checking for the latest version of the
> Windows Update software...
>
> Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During this
> time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each security
> warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click
> Install or Yes to install the software.
>
> I had try hitting refresh too. And same thing just keeps going to the same
> page and can't get any further than this page.
>
> I have road runner cable service. Running windows xp on HP pavilion 763n
My
> virus program is Etrust EZ antivirus and EZ firewall. Hope this info helps
> some.
>
> If you need any other info please let me know I will try to find it, so
> someone can help me.
>
> Thank you,
> Robin
>
> "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
> > Robin,
> >
> > Can you go to the website and manually scan your system? This should
> > work.
> >
> > "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me
> >> at
> >> all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for
updates
> >> that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work
either.
> >> just don't know what to do with it.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Robin

It could also be that your firewall is preventing access.. I have never
heard of the brand you are using so I don't know how to configure it, but
there must be a setting that enables you to allow access to that site, to
add it to the trusted zone.
"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> Do you by any chance have NetSonic internet accelerator installed on your
> pc?
> "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I have gone to the site
> > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
and
> > it just sits there and i the bottom of internet explorer it says done.
And
> > also this is the message i get too: Checking for the latest version of
the
> > Windows Update software...
> >
> > Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During
this
> > time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each
security
> > warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then
click
> > Install or Yes to install the software.
> >
> > I had try hitting refresh too. And same thing just keeps going to the
same
> > page and can't get any further than this page.
> >
> > I have road runner cable service. Running windows xp on HP pavilion 763n
> My
> > virus program is Etrust EZ antivirus and EZ firewall. Hope this info
helps
> > some.
> >
> > If you need any other info please let me know I will try to find it, so
> > someone can help me.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Robin
> >
> > "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
> > > Robin,
> > >
> > > Can you go to the website and manually scan your system? This should
> > > work.
> > >
> > > "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> updates
> either.

I agree. You need to dig into your firewall and make sure it is allowing
access to the Windows Update sites. If all else fails, give tech support at
Road Runner a call.

> It could also be that your firewall is preventing access.. I have never
> heard of the brand you are using so I don't know how to configure it, but
> there must be a setting that enables you to allow access to that site, to
> add it to the trusted zone.
> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Do you by any chance have NetSonic internet accelerator installed on
your
> > pc?
> > "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi, I have gone to the site
> > > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
> and
> > > it just sits there and i the bottom of internet explorer it says done.
> And
> > > also this is the message i get too: Checking for the latest version of
> the
> > > Windows Update software...
> > >
> > > Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During
> this
> > > time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each
> security
> > > warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then
> click
> > > Install or Yes to install the software.
> > >
> > > I had try hitting refresh too. And same thing just keeps going to the
> same
> > > page and can't get any further than this page.
> > >
> > > I have road runner cable service. Running windows xp on HP pavilion
763n
> > My
> > > virus program is Etrust EZ antivirus and EZ firewall. Hope this info
> helps
> > > some.
> > >
> > > If you need any other info please let me know I will try to find it,
so
> > > someone can help me.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > Robin
> > >
> > > "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message

> me
> > updates
> > either.

robin

http://www.my-etrust.com/downloads.cfm
above is the site of the firewall and virus program it comes with our road
runner cable service.

Thanks,
Robin

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> It could also be that your firewall is preventing access.. I have never
> heard of the brand you are using so I don't know how to configure it, but
> there must be a setting that enables you to allow access to that site, to
> add it to the trusted zone.
> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Do you by any chance have NetSonic internet accelerator installed on your
>> pc?
>> "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, I have gone to the site
>> > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
> and
>> > it just sits there and i the bottom of internet explorer it says done.
> And
>> > also this is the message i get too: Checking for the latest version of
> the
>> > Windows Update software...
>> >
>> > Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During
> this
>> > time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each
> security
>> > warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then
> click
>> > Install or Yes to install the software.
>> >
>> > I had try hitting refresh too. And same thing just keeps going to the
> same
>> > page and can't get any further than this page.
>> >
>> > I have road runner cable service. Running windows xp on HP pavilion
>> > 763n
>> My
>> > virus program is Etrust EZ antivirus and EZ firewall. Hope this info
> helps
>> > some.
>> >
>> > If you need any other info please let me know I will try to find it, so
>> > someone can help me.
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Robin
>> >
>> > "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message

> me
>> updates
>> either.

Here is a link to a troubleshooting article for the Windows updates
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/wukb.htm

> I agree. You need to dig into your firewall and make sure it is allowing
> access to the Windows Update sites. If all else fails, give tech support
at
> Road Runner a call.
>
> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> > It could also be that your firewall is preventing access.. I have never
> > heard of the brand you are using so I don't know how to configure it,
but
> > there must be a setting that enables you to allow access to that site,
> > add it to the trusted zone.
> > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > Do you by any chance have NetSonic internet accelerator installed on
> your
> > > pc?
> > > "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
> > and
> > And
> > the

> > this
> > security
> > click

> > same

> 763n
> > > My
> > helps

> so

> should

> for
> > me
> > > updates
> > > either.

Hi Robin

Have you tried the Windows Update News Group:

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate or
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me at
> all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
> that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
> I just don't know what to do with it.
> Thanks,
> Robin

robin

Hi I have try all things so far, and nothing. I am running windows xp
version 2002 service pack 2.
Thanks,
Robin

"Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me at
> all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
> that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
> I just don't know what to do with it.
> Thanks,
> Robin

TSC

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me at
> all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
> that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
> just don't know what to do with it.

Robin, I had problems similar to yours. Someone advised me to use the
following URL to get to the Windows update page (note the https rather than
plain http)

https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Say Yes to the popup about secure and insecure items. I made a shortcut of
it and have had no problems since. Don't really understand why. Something
to do with security? Still, worth a try.

Steve

"tsc" <tsc@NOSPAMmuchomail.com> wrote in message
> Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me
at
> > all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for
updates
> > that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work
either.
> > just don't know what to do with it.
>
> Robin, I had problems similar to yours. Someone advised me to use the
> following URL to get to the Windows update page (note the https rather
than
> plain http)
>
> https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
>
> Say Yes to the popup about secure and insecure items. I made a shortcut
of
> it and have had no problems since. Don't really understand why.
Something
> to do with security? Still, worth a try.
>
> Steve

robin

Hi I did that and I click on yes but still would say the same thing. So I
try again after I stop my firewall and still not working after stopping the
firewall. UGH
Robin

"tsc" <tsc@NOSPAMmuchomail.com> wrote in message
> Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me
>> at
>> all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
>> that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
>> just don't know what to do with it.
>
> Robin, I had problems similar to yours. Someone advised me to use the
> following URL to get to the Windows update page (note the https rather
> than
> plain http)
>
> https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
>
> Say Yes to the popup about secure and insecure items. I made a shortcut
> of
> it and have had no problems since. Don't really understand why.
> Something
> to do with security? Still, worth a try.
>
> Steve

Some time ago I had the same problem.
The solution was the changing of the WindowsXP produt key. The one with 25
letters.
Carlos Alberto
CT4ER
"Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me at
> all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
> that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
> I just don't know what to do with it.
> Thanks,
> Robin

Robin,
I had a similar problem as a result of a failed XP SP2 installation, after I
uninstalled it. The solution I found by trawling newsgroups/google etc. Here
is the solution that worked for me.
Problem : Windows update v5 hangs at start.
Solution:
>START>RUN then copy and paste in each of these lines separately, click OK
after each:
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wuapi.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wuaueng.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\atl.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wucltui.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wups.dll
then re-run windows update and fingers crossed it will work for you two.

Jules.