Windows update site

Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me at
all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either. I
just don't know what to do with it.
Thanks,
Robin
14 answers Last reply
More about windows update site

    Robin,

    Can you go to the website and manually scan your system? This should work.

    "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me at
    > all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
    > that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
    > just don't know what to do with it.
    > Thanks,
    > Robin

    Hi, I have gone to the site
    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us and
    it just sits there and i the bottom of internet explorer it says done. And
    also this is the message i get too: Checking for the latest version of the
    Windows Update software...

    Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During this
    time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each security
    warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click
    Install or Yes to install the software.

    I had try hitting refresh too. And same thing just keeps going to the same
    page and can't get any further than this page.

    I have road runner cable service. Running windows xp on HP pavilion 763n My
    virus program is Etrust EZ antivirus and EZ firewall. Hope this info helps
    some.

    If you need any other info please let me know I will try to find it, so
    someone can help me.

    Thank you,
    Robin

    "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
    > Robin,
    >
    > Can you go to the website and manually scan your system? This should
    > work.
    >
    > "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me
    >> at
    >> all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
    >> that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
    >> just don't know what to do with it.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Robin

    Do you by any chance have NetSonic internet accelerator installed on your
    pc?
    > Hi, I have gone to the site
    > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us and
    > it just sits there and i the bottom of internet explorer it says done. And
    > also this is the message i get too: Checking for the latest version of the
    > Windows Update software...
    >
    > Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During this
    > time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each security
    > warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click
    > Install or Yes to install the software.
    >
    > I had try hitting refresh too. And same thing just keeps going to the same
    > page and can't get any further than this page.
    >
    > I have road runner cable service. Running windows xp on HP pavilion 763n
    My
    > virus program is Etrust EZ antivirus and EZ firewall. Hope this info helps
    > some.
    >
    > If you need any other info please let me know I will try to find it, so
    > someone can help me.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Robin
    >
    > "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
    > > Robin,
    > >
    > > Can you go to the website and manually scan your system? This should
    > > work.
    > >
    > > "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me
    > >> at
    > >> all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for
    updates
    > >> that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work
    either.
    > >> just don't know what to do with it.
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Robin

    It could also be that your firewall is preventing access.. I have never
    heard of the brand you are using so I don't know how to configure it, but
    there must be a setting that enables you to allow access to that site, to
    add it to the trusted zone.
    "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Do you by any chance have NetSonic internet accelerator installed on your
    > pc?
    > "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I have gone to the site
    > > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    and
    > > it just sits there and i the bottom of internet explorer it says done.
    And
    > > also this is the message i get too: Checking for the latest version of
    the
    > > Windows Update software...
    > >
    > > Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During
    this
    > > time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each
    security
    > > warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then
    click
    > > Install or Yes to install the software.
    > >
    > > I had try hitting refresh too. And same thing just keeps going to the
    same
    > > page and can't get any further than this page.
    > >
    > > I have road runner cable service. Running windows xp on HP pavilion 763n
    > My
    > > virus program is Etrust EZ antivirus and EZ firewall. Hope this info
    helps
    > > some.
    > >
    > > If you need any other info please let me know I will try to find it, so
    > > someone can help me.
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > > Robin
    > >
    > > "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Robin,
    > > >
    > > > Can you go to the website and manually scan your system? This should
    > > > work.
    > > >
    > > > "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > updates
    > either.

    I agree. You need to dig into your firewall and make sure it is allowing
    access to the Windows Update sites. If all else fails, give tech support at
    Road Runner a call.

    > It could also be that your firewall is preventing access.. I have never
    > heard of the brand you are using so I don't know how to configure it, but
    > there must be a setting that enables you to allow access to that site, to
    > add it to the trusted zone.
    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > Do you by any chance have NetSonic internet accelerator installed on
    your
    > > pc?
    > > "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi, I have gone to the site
    > > > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    > and
    > > > it just sits there and i the bottom of internet explorer it says done.
    > And
    > > > also this is the message i get too: Checking for the latest version of
    > the
    > > > Windows Update software...
    > > >
    > > > Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During
    > this
    > > > time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each
    > security
    > > > warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then
    > click
    > > > Install or Yes to install the software.
    > > >
    > > > I had try hitting refresh too. And same thing just keeps going to the
    > same
    > > > page and can't get any further than this page.
    > > >
    > > > I have road runner cable service. Running windows xp on HP pavilion
    763n
    > > My
    > > > virus program is Etrust EZ antivirus and EZ firewall. Hope this info
    > helps
    > > > some.
    > > >
    > > > If you need any other info please let me know I will try to find it,
    so
    > > > someone can help me.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you,
    > > > Robin
    > > >
    > > > "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message

    > me
    > > updates
    > > either.

    http://www.my-etrust.com/downloads.cfm
    above is the site of the firewall and virus program it comes with our road
    runner cable service.

    Thanks,
    Robin

    "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    > It could also be that your firewall is preventing access.. I have never
    > heard of the brand you are using so I don't know how to configure it, but
    > there must be a setting that enables you to allow access to that site, to
    > add it to the trusted zone.
    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Do you by any chance have NetSonic internet accelerator installed on your
    >> pc?
    >> "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi, I have gone to the site
    >> > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    > and
    >> > it just sits there and i the bottom of internet explorer it says done.
    > And
    >> > also this is the message i get too: Checking for the latest version of
    > the
    >> > Windows Update software...
    >> >
    >> > Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During
    > this
    >> > time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each
    > security
    >> > warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then
    > click
    >> > Install or Yes to install the software.
    >> >
    >> > I had try hitting refresh too. And same thing just keeps going to the
    > same
    >> > page and can't get any further than this page.
    >> >
    >> > I have road runner cable service. Running windows xp on HP pavilion
    >> > 763n
    >> My
    >> > virus program is Etrust EZ antivirus and EZ firewall. Hope this info
    > helps
    >> > some.
    >> >
    >> > If you need any other info please let me know I will try to find it, so
    >> > someone can help me.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you,
    >> > Robin
    >> >
    >> > "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message

    > me
    >> updates
    >> either.

    Here is a link to a troubleshooting article for the Windows updates
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/wukb.htm

    > I agree. You need to dig into your firewall and make sure it is allowing
    > access to the Windows Update sites. If all else fails, give tech support
    at
    > Road Runner a call.
    >
    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > It could also be that your firewall is preventing access.. I have never
    > > heard of the brand you are using so I don't know how to configure it,
    but
    > > there must be a setting that enables you to allow access to that site,
    > > add it to the trusted zone.
    > > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > > Do you by any chance have NetSonic internet accelerator installed on
    > your
    > > > pc?
    > > > "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    > > and
    > > And
    > > the

    > > this
    > > security
    > > click

    > > same

    > 763n
    > > > My
    > > helps

    > so

    > should

    > for
    > > me
    > > > updates
    > > > either.

    Hi Robin

    Have you tried the Windows Update News Group:

    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate or
    http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me at
    > all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
    > that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
    > I just don't know what to do with it.
    > Thanks,
    > Robin

    Hi I have try all things so far, and nothing. I am running windows xp
    version 2002 service pack 2.
    Thanks,
    Robin

    "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me at
    > all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
    > that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
    > I just don't know what to do with it.
    > Thanks,
    > Robin

    Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me at
    > all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
    > that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
    > just don't know what to do with it.

    Robin, I had problems similar to yours. Someone advised me to use the
    following URL to get to the Windows update page (note the https rather than
    plain http)

    https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

    Say Yes to the popup about secure and insecure items. I made a shortcut of
    it and have had no problems since. Don't really understand why. Something
    to do with security? Still, worth a try.

    Steve

    "tsc" <tsc@NOSPAMmuchomail.com> wrote in message
    > Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me
    at
    > > all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for
    updates
    > > that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work
    either.
    > > just don't know what to do with it.
    >
    > Robin, I had problems similar to yours. Someone advised me to use the
    > following URL to get to the Windows update page (note the https rather
    than
    > plain http)
    >
    > https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    >
    > Say Yes to the popup about secure and insecure items. I made a shortcut
    of
    > it and have had no problems since. Don't really understand why.
    Something
    > to do with security? Still, worth a try.
    >
    > Steve

    Hi I did that and I click on yes but still would say the same thing. So I
    try again after I stop my firewall and still not working after stopping the
    firewall. UGH
    Robin

    "tsc" <tsc@NOSPAMmuchomail.com> wrote in message
    > Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me
    >> at
    >> all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
    >> that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
    >> just don't know what to do with it.
    >
    > Robin, I had problems similar to yours. Someone advised me to use the
    > following URL to get to the Windows update page (note the https rather
    > than
    > plain http)
    >
    > https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    >
    > Say Yes to the popup about secure and insecure items. I made a shortcut
    > of
    > it and have had no problems since. Don't really understand why.
    > Something
    > to do with security? Still, worth a try.
    >
    > Steve

    Some time ago I had the same problem.
    The solution was the changing of the WindowsXP produt key. The one with 25
    letters.
    Carlos Alberto
    CT4ER
    "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me at
    > all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
    > that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
    > I just don't know what to do with it.
    > Thanks,
    > Robin

    Robin,
    I had a similar problem as a result of a failed XP SP2 installation, after I
    uninstalled it. The solution I found by trawling newsgroups/google etc. Here
    is the solution that worked for me.
    Problem : Windows update v5 hangs at start.
    Solution:
    >START>RUN then copy and paste in each of these lines separately, click OK
    after each:
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wuapi.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wuaueng.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\atl.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wucltui.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wups.dll
    then re-run windows update and fingers crossed it will work for you two.

    Jules.
    "Robin" <robin_milw_wi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi having problems with the windows update site it will not load for me at
    > all. Just sits there and won't even scan my computer to check for updates
    > that I need. I have it on automatic update but seems not to work either.
    > just don't know what to do with it.
    > Thanks,
    > Robin

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP