Client can't connect to Internet

I configured my Windows 2000 Server running Active
Directory to be acting as a DHCP server as well.

We had a DLINK router acting as a DHCP Server, but i
disabled it due to the W2K server.

All of the computers logging into the server can connect
fine and access the internet. However i have a user using
an XP Laptop who can't connect to the internet. She logs
into the domain fine and her IP Configurations are
correct. Any ideas as to what is wrong??

Thanks,
Greg
5 answers Last reply
More about client connect internet

    greg wrote:
    > I configured my Windows 2000 Server running Active
    > Directory to be acting as a DHCP server as well.
    >
    > We had a DLINK router acting as a DHCP Server, but i
    > disabled it due to the W2K server.
    >
    > All of the computers logging into the server can connect
    > fine and access the internet. However i have a user using
    > an XP Laptop who can't connect to the internet. She logs
    > into the domain fine and her IP Configurations are
    > correct. Any ideas as to what is wrong??

    Run ipconfig /all on her workstation & report back with it here....I presume
    she's using DHCP and you released/renewed?

    All servers and workstations should specify *only* the internal
    AD-integrated DNS server's IP address in their network settings. The
    AD-integrated DNS server should be set up with forwarders to your ISP's DNS
    servers for external resolution, and/or use root hints. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202 for more
    info.

    > Thanks,
    > Greg

    Everything is fine now. I did release/renew but that
    didnt seem to work. I tried reserving a different IP
    address to the laptop and now it is able to connect to the
    internet fine. Thanks for you help

    greg

    us;300202 for more

    Greg wrote:
    > Everything is fine now. I did release/renew but that
    > didnt seem to work. I tried reserving a different IP
    > address to the laptop and now it is able to connect to the
    > internet fine. Thanks for you help

    Glad it's working, but...
    Did it have a reserved IP before?
    Why does it need a reservation anyway?

    > greg

    i guess it doesnt need a reservation, but it was the only
    way i can get a different IP on it
    when i did Release/renew it still picked up the same IP

    greg wrote:
    > i guess it doesnt need a reservation, but it was the only
    > way i can get a different IP on it
    > when i did Release/renew it still picked up the same IP

    Yes, a computer will always try to get the same IP address it had last time.
    Did you disable the DHCP server on the router *first* and make sure the
    changes stuck, before doing this? Was the DHCP scope the same on the router
    and the workstation? Did you try ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, and
    then ipconfig /all to see whether the DHCP server IP was truly the W2k
    server?

    You should be able to do this without a reservation,
    definitely. Reservations are great for a lot of things (network printers,
    etc) but shouldn't be necessary for this computer....

Connection Servers Internet Windows