Which RPG next?

Looking for advice folks.

My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.

Now, I'd quite like to try a proper RPG, but I'm a bit put off by all
the complexities of various versions of D&D rules, etc. I wonder if you
guys had any suggestions? I've downloaded some demos: here are my
thoughts, which you can confirm or correct.
1. Dungeon Siege. This seems to be the easiest to get into - point and
click, simple interface. I don't know how much depth there is?
2. Temple of Elemental Evil. This looks very good, but even at the
start of the demo my party quickly gets massacred. Is it a really hard
game, or do I need to work through some guides?
3. Icewind Dale 2 - well, there's no demo, but I've read the reviews
and it sounds like it's highly focused on lots of small battles - all
tactics, no strategy, which isn't really what I'm looking for.
4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...

I'd really appreciate any advice, especially highly opinionated advice.
Cheers,
Amdy
32 answers Last reply
More about which next

    I am like you, the first I played AoE and got into PC games. Now I play
    quite bit RPG.
    My all time favorite is baldur's gate. You don't have to be D&D rule expert
    to play these games. If you enjoy good story, you will love Baldur's gate
    series. BG1 starts with very good tutorial to make you comfortable. And once
    you learn how to play BG you know how to play Icewind dale. It is 2D.
    Because you want to see what all party member and enemies doing, camera is
    looking down from top is good. Yes, there is strategy in fight.
    If you like slash and hack, you might want to check out Diablo2.

    <a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Looking for advice folks.
    >
    > My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
    > almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
    > liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
    > them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
    > I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
    >
    > Now, I'd quite like to try a proper RPG, but I'm a bit put off by all
    > the complexities of various versions of D&D rules, etc. I wonder if you
    > guys had any suggestions? I've downloaded some demos: here are my
    > thoughts, which you can confirm or correct.
    > 1. Dungeon Siege. This seems to be the easiest to get into - point and
    > click, simple interface. I don't know how much depth there is?
    > 2. Temple of Elemental Evil. This looks very good, but even at the
    > start of the demo my party quickly gets massacred. Is it a really hard
    > game, or do I need to work through some guides?
    > 3. Icewind Dale 2 - well, there's no demo, but I've read the reviews
    > and it sounds like it's highly focused on lots of small battles - all
    > tactics, no strategy, which isn't really what I'm looking for.
    > 4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
    > intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...
    >
    > I'd really appreciate any advice, especially highly opinionated advice.
    > Cheers,
    > Amdy

    > 4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
    > intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...

    Excellent choice. I enjoyed it a lot.

    Also good choices would be Arcanum, and BG 1 of course.

    Lionheart was enjoyable too.

    -timo-

    -timo- wrote:
    >> 4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
    >> intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...
    >
    > Excellent choice. I enjoyed it a lot.
    >
    > Also good choices would be Arcanum, and BG 1 of course.
    >
    > Lionheart was enjoyable too.
    >
    > -timo-

    Of those games I've only played BG2...great game.

    a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

    >Looking for advice folks.
    >
    >My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
    >almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
    >liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
    >them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
    >I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
    >
    >Now, I'd quite like to try a proper RPG, but I'm a bit put off by all
    >the complexities of various versions of D&D rules, etc. I wonder if you
    >guys had any suggestions? I've downloaded some demos: here are my
    >thoughts, which you can confirm or correct.
    >1. Dungeon Siege. This seems to be the easiest to get into - point and
    >click, simple interface. I don't know how much depth there is?

    There is not much depth. It has more in common with Diablo II (which
    is much better than Dungeon Siege) than it does with more serious
    RPGs. I would suggest Divine Divinity instead. I think Divine
    Divinity is one of the best games released over the last few years. I
    did enjoy Dungeon Siege, but I had no interest in going through it
    again and was getting bored with it by the end of the game. Divine
    Divinity made me want to go back instead of making me glad it was
    over.

    >2. Temple of Elemental Evil. This looks very good, but even at the
    >start of the demo my party quickly gets massacred. Is it a really hard
    >game, or do I need to work through some guides?

    It is not extremely hard, but it is harder than Baldur's Gate or
    Neverwinter Nights. It is less flexible than some of the other D&D
    games and in the end I found it less enjoyable than the others. I do
    think it is worth playing through, but I would play through some of
    the easier/better games first as I think more experience with the
    genre will make this game easier and more fun for you than it would be
    otherwise.

    >3. Icewind Dale 2 - well, there's no demo, but I've read the reviews
    >and it sounds like it's highly focused on lots of small battles - all
    >tactics, no strategy, which isn't really what I'm looking for.
    >4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
    >intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...

    Good game but I would start with Baldur's Gate 1. I would then do the
    Icewind Dale games but I would start with Icewind Dale 1 as well. The
    games are definitely worth picking up even if they are a few years
    old. My personal opinion is that Baldur's Gate 1 is the best of the
    bunch, so that is another reason I suggest starting with it. If you
    don't like it, I doubt you will like the rest.

    Neverwinter Nights is good too, aside from the original quest. Get
    the Platinum version which comes with both expansions and when you are
    done with that, there are a lot of user-created mods for the game that
    are very enjoyable.

    And of course, I suggest finding Planescape Torment. I am not quite
    as fanatical as some of the posters the ibm.pc.rpg group are, but it
    really is a great game.

    Don't forget Neverwinter Nights. 3D based Next generation BG.

    <a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Looking for advice folks.
    >
    > My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
    > almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
    > liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
    > them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
    > I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
    >
    > Now, I'd quite like to try a proper RPG, but I'm a bit put off by all
    > the complexities of various versions of D&D rules, etc. I wonder if you
    > guys had any suggestions? I've downloaded some demos: here are my
    > thoughts, which you can confirm or correct.
    > 1. Dungeon Siege. This seems to be the easiest to get into - point and
    > click, simple interface. I don't know how much depth there is?
    > 2. Temple of Elemental Evil. This looks very good, but even at the
    > start of the demo my party quickly gets massacred. Is it a really hard
    > game, or do I need to work through some guides?
    > 3. Icewind Dale 2 - well, there's no demo, but I've read the reviews
    > and it sounds like it's highly focused on lots of small battles - all
    > tactics, no strategy, which isn't really what I'm looking for.
    > 4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
    > intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...
    >
    > I'd really appreciate any advice, especially highly opinionated advice.
    > Cheers,
    > Amdy

    I like Baldurs Gate 1 + 2 a lot. In my opinion one of the best RPGs ever
    released. Their graphics are quite outdated for todays standard, but
    superior playability and storyline still make this a good game years
    after it was created.

    If you are looking for fancier graphics, there is Neverwinter Nights. A
    good game, but I personally didn't like it overly much - too linear -
    and would prefer Baldurs Gate 2 anytime. While Neverwinter Nights is the
    successor of Baldurs Gate, I actually found it a step backwards. The
    main campaign appeared quite disappointing to me, while Baldurs Gate 2
    story is a blast.

    Fallout 1/2 are awesome roleplaying games as well, with a very
    non-linear story.

    Overall not much happening on the single-player RPG front today,
    considering the better games are at least 4 years old. Guess online RPGs
    and ultra-violent 3d shooters sell better.

    On 31 Jan 2005 01:20:26 -0800, a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

    >Looking for advice folks.
    >
    >My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
    >almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
    >liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
    >them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
    >I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.

    Master of Orion II Battle at Antares (an old DOS/Windows 95 game) is
    one of my favorite turn-based strategy games and other than the fact
    that it doesn't save my high scores, it plays fine on my current XP
    computer. Check out flea markets or other places that sell used games
    if you're interested in it.

    Since you like Morrowind, another good game (if you like Space games)
    is Freelancer by Microsoft. Freelancer has a main story line that
    gives the game depth (and is actually enjoyable to follow), and there
    are a HUGE number of mods that can change almost every aspect of the
    game... I tend to play Morrowind for awhile, then Freelancer, then
    maybe something new, then I go back to playing Morrowind and
    Freelancer again until I find something else to play for awhile before
    getting back to both games using new mods for both...

    >Now, I'd quite like to try a proper RPG, but I'm a bit put off by all
    >the complexities of various versions of D&D rules, etc. I wonder if you
    >guys had any suggestions? I've downloaded some demos: here are my
    >thoughts, which you can confirm or correct.
    >1. Dungeon Siege. This seems to be the easiest to get into - point and
    >click, simple interface. I don't know how much depth there is?

    Dungeon Siege is WAY Too Linear! You clean out one area, then move on
    to the next, then the next, etc... and if you want to backtrack to a
    previously visited area, it can take your character quite awhile! :(
    I got tired of the game fairly quickly and when I uninstalled it, I
    also deleted my saved games since I knew that I'd never want to
    reinstall the game again.

    >2. Temple of Elemental Evil. This looks very good, but even at the
    >start of the demo my party quickly gets massacred. Is it a really hard
    >game, or do I need to work through some guides?

    I've got it, however I can't remember anything about it. :(

    >3. Icewind Dale 2 - well, there's no demo, but I've read the reviews
    >and it sounds like it's highly focused on lots of small battles - all
    >tactics, no strategy, which isn't really what I'm looking for.

    It's a good game, I've played both 1 & 2, and there are areas in the
    game where strategy is VERY Important!

    >4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
    >intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...

    Another good game, I enjoyed playing both 1 & 2 as well as the addons
    for both games...

    >I'd really appreciate any advice, especially highly opinionated advice.
    >Cheers,
    >Amdy

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    > I am like you, the first I played AoE and got into PC games. Now I play
    > quite bit RPG.
    > My all time favorite is baldur's gate. You don't have to be D&D rule
    expert
    > to play these games. If you enjoy good story, you will love Baldur's gate
    > series. BG1 starts with very good tutorial to make you comfortable.

    BG1 pissed me off initially. I went through a rather long and boring
    introduction, then went out into the world, and my entire party was killed
    by a single ogre mage right out the front gate. Of course, I hadn't saved,
    since I wasn't expecting a monster that could kill my entire party so
    quickly to be waiting right outside the front gate. So I had to do the long
    and boring introduction part all over again. (Apparently there's no way to
    skip it...) By the time I got out the gate again, I was so tired of it I
    almost wanted to stop playing right there. But I saved before the ogre mage
    arrived. And this time, of course, the guy that's supposed to accompany you
    outside the gate and take care of the ogre mage for you was with me, because
    I didn't screw up the quest like the first time. Okay, so the ogre mage
    didn't kill me. But 5 minutes later, I lost the entire party to a pack of
    wolves. And when I tried to reload the save that I made before the ogre
    mage, it was corrupted. I put the game on the shelf and never looked back.

    On 31 Jan 2005 01:20:26 -0800, a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

    >Looking for advice folks.
    >
    >My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
    >almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
    >liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
    >them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
    >I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
    >
    >Now, I'd quite like to try a proper RPG, but I'm a bit put off by all
    >the complexities of various versions of D&D rules, etc. I wonder if you
    >guys had any suggestions? I've downloaded some demos: here are my
    >thoughts, which you can confirm or correct.

    >1. Dungeon Siege. This seems to be the easiest to get into - point and
    >click, simple interface. I don't know how much depth there is?

    Very little depth IMO. It's an extremely linear game, whose AI is such
    that you barely need to even click the mouse. Attractive, but quite
    forgettable.

    >2. Temple of Elemental Evil. This looks very good, but even at the
    >start of the demo my party quickly gets massacred. Is it a really hard
    >game, or do I need to work through some guides?

    It's a moderately hard game that stays extremely faithful to the D&D
    ruleset. I think you'd have a hard time with this one if you don't
    already have some familiarity with D&D. Also, it's fairly buggy.

    >3. Icewind Dale 2 - well, there's no demo, but I've read the reviews
    >and it sounds like it's highly focused on lots of small battles - all
    >tactics, no strategy, which isn't really what I'm looking for.

    A much more stable game than ToEE, and it simplifies some of the rules
    in the interest of ease of use. Strategy and tactics are both important,
    while roleplaying takes a back seat.

    >4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
    >intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...

    This is the real thing - it has strategy, tactics, and roleplaying
    blended into a really great game. The manual is very good, and you
    shouldn't have any problems learning the rules.

    I also highly recommend Fallout 1 & 2 and Planescape Torment. Arcanum
    isn't bad either, though it has bug problems similar to ToEE.

    Don't forget Arx Fatalis! A very good RPG. Not as big as Morrowind, but very
    nice magic system. :)

    <a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Looking for advice folks.
    >
    > My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
    > almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
    > liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
    > them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
    > I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
    >
    > Now, I'd quite like to try a proper RPG, but I'm a bit put off by all
    > the complexities of various versions of D&D rules, etc. I wonder if you
    > guys had any suggestions? I've downloaded some demos: here are my
    > thoughts, which you can confirm or correct.
    > 1. Dungeon Siege. This seems to be the easiest to get into - point and
    > click, simple interface. I don't know how much depth there is?
    > 2. Temple of Elemental Evil. This looks very good, but even at the
    > start of the demo my party quickly gets massacred. Is it a really hard
    > game, or do I need to work through some guides?
    > 3. Icewind Dale 2 - well, there's no demo, but I've read the reviews
    > and it sounds like it's highly focused on lots of small battles - all
    > tactics, no strategy, which isn't really what I'm looking for.
    > 4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
    > intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...
    >
    > I'd really appreciate any advice, especially highly opinionated advice.
    > Cheers,
    > Amdy

    In article <2bvsv09t180r4s6ofcqhlbjhfsraujav6b@4ax.com>, FTA@fake.email
    says...

    > Since you like Morrowind, another good game (if you like Space games)
    > is Freelancer by Microsoft. Freelancer has a main story line that
    > gives the game depth (and is actually enjoyable to follow), and there
    > are a HUGE number of mods that can change almost every aspect of the
    > game...

    Hmmm. When I first saw the Freelancer demo I as very excited: here was
    the successor to Elite! Nonlinear (so they said) ... Bought the game and
    went to playing. And the further along I got, the more linear the game
    got for me until in the end I felt I was playing, whilst wearing a
    straightjacket. I simply stopped in the end, because I just felt it was
    becoming a tedious chore to go on. (some time after killing the prez)

    Those mods you mention, do they open the game up to s.th. approaching
    Elite, or are they more in the way of equipment/craft ? Any URLs one
    might want to explore?

    cheers, -Peter

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:19:51 +1300, Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address>
    wrote:

    >In article <2bvsv09t180r4s6ofcqhlbjhfsraujav6b@4ax.com>, FTA@fake.email
    >says...
    >>
    >> Since you like Morrowind, another good game (if you like Space games)
    >> is Freelancer by Microsoft. Freelancer has a main story line that
    >> gives the game depth (and is actually enjoyable to follow), and there
    >> are a HUGE number of mods that can change almost every aspect of the
    >> game...
    >>

    >Hmmm. When I first saw the Freelancer demo I as very excited: here was
    >the successor to Elite! Nonlinear (so they said) ... Bought the game and
    >went to playing. And the further along I got, the more linear the game
    >got for me until in the end I felt I was playing, whilst wearing a
    >straightjacket. I simply stopped in the end, because I just felt it was
    >becoming a tedious chore to go on. (some time after killing the prez)

    Freelancer may have seemed very linear because of the story line,
    which I believe gives the game more depth and I Highly recomend that
    first time Freelancer players complete it! Keep in mind that the game
    ISN'T over when you complete the games story line, it's at that point
    that Trent (your character) is free to do whatever he/you want to
    do... However the mods available at the links below allow you to
    change prettywell EVERY aspect of the game (including adding new
    ships, weapons, bases, planets, star systems, factions, NPC's,
    etc...), as well as Skipping the games story line entirely if you
    want!

    >Those mods you mention, do they open the game up to s.th. approaching
    >Elite, or are they more in the way of equipment/craft ? Any URLs one
    >might want to explore?
    >
    >cheers, -Peter

    I never played Elite, so I have no idea how Freelancer compares to it,
    however Freelancer is the first Real Time space combat game I've found
    that makes Space Combat So Easy and Fun, that poor reflex guys like me
    can actually Enjoy RT space combat! ^_^ Granted for all I know, there
    may very well be a mod that makes Freelancer alot like Elite... I do
    know that there is at least one Privateer mod for Freelancer, though
    I've never tried it.

    The link below is the MAIN place to look for Freelancer mods! Don't
    be surprised if you spend several hours or More looking at countless
    mods trying to decide which ones you might want to try! ^_^

    http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/

    Here's another link for Freelancer mods:

    http://www.fileplanet.com/50794/0/section/Freelancer

    The link below is for the Freelancer Mod Manager v1.31, which is a
    MUST Have program for limiting conflicts between mods, as well as for
    managing different saved game files for different configurations of
    mods.

    http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/download/download.asp?id=927

    Good Luck and Have Fun! ^_^

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    <a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Looking for advice folks.
    >
    > My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
    > almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
    > liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
    > them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
    > I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.

    <snip>

    Some people hate it (particularly some lovers of morrowind for some
    reason) - but one of my all time favourites is Gothic 2 (not played the
    first one).... The sense of a world it creates is really great and even now
    I still love to play through it... It really is one of the big overlooked
    games.

    (note - I also do love morrowind, so it's not mutually exclusive to like one
    or the other!)

    <a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Looking for advice folks.
    >
    > My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
    > almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
    > liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
    > them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
    > I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
    > > I'd really appreciate any advice, especially highly opinionated advice.
    > Cheers,
    > Amdy

    I'm the same, keep me challenged and interested with a nice openended story,
    and don't make it too too hard, as by the end of the day I want something
    just brutal enough to keep a 5 year old from being bored, but not too tough
    for my 43 year old "had a tough day at work" self.... (OK, I play at
    wussified level).

    I've played Baldur's Gate I and II, both are great, kept me happily gaming
    for many many months. Get the Gatekeeper and Shadowkeeper character
    editors, if you like tweaking your character. (I have links to the site for
    that SOMEWHERE, If you want).

    Icewind Dale series... enjoyed, but not as much as Baldur's Gate. Throne of
    Baal was pretty cool.

    Neverwinter Nights.... I played and liked, but I discovered Morrowind while
    still early in NWN, and switched. On the other hand, I have a friend who is
    completely and utterly addicted to NWN, and ignores Morrowind.

    Deus Ex... more of a unidirectional story line, but a nice game, with many
    hours of gameplay. Not my favorite ever, but not one I'm going to trade in,
    either.

    Majesty: ok. somewhat better than a few rounds of solitaire, I play it as a
    solitaire alternative, if I'm not up to trying to slay cliffracers.

    Planescape Torment.... easy, definitely strange with a capital S, but I had
    loads of fun with it, one I would recommend. Usually find-able in the "two
    for ten bucks" section of your better Walmarts, or comparable locations.

    Thief: I never got into it much, but I'm not a "stealth character" type,
    more "hack and slash". I have a friend who's into stealth characters, he
    loved it.

    Ancient Games: Ultima Underworld.. the Stygian Abyss and the followup games
    in the series. Nice nostalgic moments. Worth at least a week or two, if
    you can find it.

    For what it's worth.

    Starwolf

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:28:56 GMT, "Nerevar" <monk@mink.monk> wrote:

    ><a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Looking for advice folks.
    >>
    >> My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
    >> almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
    >> liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
    >> them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
    >> I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >Some people hate it (particularly some lovers of morrowind for some
    >reason) - but one of my all time favourites is Gothic 2 (not played the
    >first one).... The sense of a world it creates is really great and even now
    >I still love to play through it... It really is one of the big overlooked
    >games.

    I really enjoyed playing Gothic (the first game), though it took
    awhile for me (a Morrowind player) to break myself FROM pressing my
    Space key when I wanted to talk to someone (in Gothic 1 & 2 pressing
    the Space Bar causes your character to draw their weapon possibly
    starting a fight). <L> I even plan to replay Gothic 1 so I can play
    the game as one of the other factions in the game that my character
    didn't join the first time I played Gothic. Since you liked Gothic 2,
    I'm sure that you'll LOVE the original Gothic (which I liked better
    than Gothic 2) IF you can find a copy of it somewhere (like maybe on
    Ebay). BTW, in Gothic 1, there are scrolls that allow your character
    to change into a Bloodfly which allows your character to get around
    FAST, and Bloodfly's Don't get hurt if they fly off the top of a cliff
    and they are great fun for chasing miners!

    I replayed Gothic 2 three different times so that I could play the
    game as all three character types/factions... If they ever release a
    Gothic 3 (which they hint at when Gothic 2 ends), I'll buy it because
    I enjoyed Gothic 1 & 2 so much!

    >(note - I also do love morrowind, so it's not mutually exclusive to like one
    >or the other!)

    True! ^_^

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    > I really enjoyed playing Gothic (the first game), though it took
    > awhile for me (a Morrowind player) to break myself FROM pressing my
    > Space key when I wanted to talk to someone (in Gothic 1 & 2 pressing
    > the Space Bar causes your character to draw their weapon possibly
    > starting a fight). <L>

    Reminds me of my first time playing Morrowind when I clicked instead of
    hitting space, causing me to attack Arille the trader in Seyda Neen. He
    finished me off pretty fast...

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:28:56 GMT, "Nerevar" <monk@mink.monk> wrote:

    ><a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Looking for advice folks.
    >>
    >> My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
    >> almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
    >> liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
    >> them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
    >> I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >Some people hate it (particularly some lovers of morrowind for some
    >reason) - but one of my all time favourites is Gothic 2 (not played the
    >first one).... The sense of a world it creates is really great and even now
    >I still love to play through it... It really is one of the big overlooked
    >games.
    >
    >(note - I also do love morrowind, so it's not mutually exclusive to like one
    >or the other!)

    I'm one of those who couldn't stand Gothic 2 - the reason is the
    interface rather than anything to do with the design. While Morrowind is
    fluid and responsive, Gothic 2 takes ages to swing the camera around to
    follow your character, and there's also a noticeable delay between
    pressing keys and getting any effect.

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:05:52 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >> I really enjoyed playing Gothic (the first game), though it took
    >> awhile for me (a Morrowind player) to break myself FROM pressing my
    >> Space key when I wanted to talk to someone (in Gothic 1 & 2 pressing
    >> the Space Bar causes your character to draw their weapon possibly
    >> starting a fight). <L>
    >
    >Reminds me of my first time playing Morrowind when I clicked instead of
    >hitting space, causing me to attack Arille the trader in Seyda Neen. He
    >finished me off pretty fast...

    In Gothic 1 & 2, having a drawn weapon when near someone is considered
    by them to be an aggressive act. Generally they will give your
    character a warning to put away the weapon before they attack, however
    they don't give your character much time before they do attack.
    Needless to say, beginner characters are nothing more than fresh meat
    in the Penal Colony environment that your character tries to escape
    from in Gothic 1. Gothic 2 begins a few weeks after your character
    caused the Failure of Magic Barrier that enclosed the Penal Colony,
    freeing all the prisoners trapped there...

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:
    >> I am like you, the first I played AoE and got into PC games. Now I
    >> play quite bit RPG.
    >> My all time favorite is baldur's gate. You don't have to be D&D rule
    >> expert to play these games. If you enjoy good story, you will love
    >> Baldur's gate series. BG1 starts with very good tutorial to make you
    >> comfortable.
    >
    > BG1 pissed me off initially. I went through a rather long and boring
    > introduction, then went out into the world, and my entire party was
    > killed by a single ogre mage right out the front gate. Of course, I
    > hadn't saved, since I wasn't expecting a monster that could kill my
    > entire party so quickly to be waiting right outside the front gate.
    > So I had to do the long and boring introduction part all over again.
    > (Apparently there's no way to skip it...) By the time I got out the
    > gate again, I was so tired of it I almost wanted to stop playing
    > right there. But I saved before the ogre mage arrived. And this
    > time, of course, the guy that's supposed to accompany you outside the
    > gate and take care of the ogre mage for you was with me, because I
    > didn't screw up the quest like the first time. Okay, so the ogre
    > mage didn't kill me. But 5 minutes later, I lost the entire party to
    > a pack of wolves. And when I tried to reload the save that I made
    > before the ogre mage, it was corrupted. I put the game on the shelf
    > and never looked back.

    If you've played any RPG (not excluding Morrowind) you'll know that your
    party at the start is pitifully weak. Hell, in Morrowind even a slug can
    easily kill you when you are just starting out.

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: aziz@aziz1removethisbit.fsnet.co.uk

    "FTA" <FTA@fake.email> wrote in message
    >>(note - I also do love morrowind, so it's not mutually exclusive to like
    >>one
    >>or the other!)
    >
    > True! ^_^

    Glad I'm not the only one then! I've recently got hold of the gothic 2
    expansion (only available in german) and applied the fan made translation
    mod, it's great and adds a lot of new stuff to the game including a large
    new island etc

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:
    >>I am like you, the first I played AoE and got into PC games. Now I play
    >>quite bit RPG.
    >>My all time favorite is baldur's gate. You don't have to be D&D rule
    >
    > expert
    >
    >>to play these games. If you enjoy good story, you will love Baldur's gate
    >>series. BG1 starts with very good tutorial to make you comfortable.
    >

    > BG1 pissed me off initially. I went through a rather long and boring
    > introduction, then went out into the world, and my entire party was killed
    > by a single ogre mage right out the front gate. Of course, I hadn't saved,
    > since I wasn't expecting a monster that could kill my entire party so
    > quickly to be waiting right outside the front gate. So I had to do the long
    > and boring introduction part all over again. (Apparently there's no way to
    > skip it...) By the time I got out the gate again, I was so tired of it I
    > almost wanted to stop playing right there. But I saved before the ogre mage
    > arrived. And this time, of course, the guy that's supposed to accompany you
    > outside the gate and take care of the ogre mage for you was with me, because
    > I didn't screw up the quest like the first time. Okay, so the ogre mage
    > didn't kill me. But 5 minutes later, I lost the entire party to a pack of
    > wolves. And when I tried to reload the save that I made before the ogre
    > mage, it was corrupted. I put the game on the shelf and never looked back.

    I have tried the game several times and make it all the way to the Inn
    and then get wasted. No chance to fight back. A single mage surrounded
    by fighters shouldn't stand a chance, but he prevails. I too gave up on
    the game and will probably never try again. It takes too long to load
    the game and then get to the Inn to be wasted by an encounter you can
    Not avoid.

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:56:52 GMT, "Nerevar" <monk@mink.monk> wrote:

    >"FTA" <FTA@fake.email> wrote in message
    >>>(note - I also do love morrowind, so it's not mutually exclusive to like
    >>>one
    >>>or the other!)
    >>
    >> True! ^_^
    >
    >Glad I'm not the only one then! I've recently got hold of the gothic 2
    >expansion (only available in german) and applied the fan made translation
    >mod, it's great and adds a lot of new stuff to the game including a large
    >new island etc

    Wow that's GREAT! ^_^ That means that with luck, they'll have an
    english version released in maybe another 6 months. It gives me
    something new to look forward to playing sometime this summer...

    Lucky for me, I know about www.GoGamer.com which imports alot of
    english versions of games at a discount, sometimes several months
    before they are released here in the US. Which is good since the
    Gothic series never did get picked up for sale in many stores that I
    frequent. :( So with GoGamer, I doubt that I'll have to wait for the
    english version of the expansion to FINELY (if at all) appear on a
    store shelf near where I live. Granted given a choice, I prefer to
    walk into a store, see a game I want, and be playing the game that
    evening, without having to wait for the game to be delivered to my
    house several days later...

    Is the expansion a Stand Alone game, or does everyone need Gothic 2 to
    play the game? Can you import your existing (powerful) Gothic 2
    character into the expansion game, or does everyone start the
    expansion with a new beginner character? Also is the expansion setup
    so that people can easily create and add user created mods like we can
    with Morrowind?

    On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 12:25:16 GMT, FTA <FTA@fake.email> wrote:

    >Is the expansion a Stand Alone game, or does everyone need Gothic 2 to
    >play the game?

    It's not stand alone.

    > Can you import your existing (powerful) Gothic 2
    >character into the expansion game, or does everyone start the
    >expansion with a new beginner character?

    You need to begin again.

    > Also is the expansion setup
    >so that people can easily create and add user created mods like we can
    >with Morrowind?

    No idea.

    The above is derived from discussion I have seen on
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg , not from personal experience, so it may not
    be 100% correct.

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 01:25:43 +1100, Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 12:25:16 GMT, FTA <FTA@fake.email> wrote:
    >

    >>Is the expansion a Stand Alone game, or does everyone need Gothic 2 to
    >>play the game?
    >
    >It's not stand alone.

    Not a real problem, I've still got my copy of Gothic 2.

    >> Can you import your existing (powerful) Gothic 2
    >>character into the expansion game, or does everyone start the
    >>expansion with a new beginner character?
    >
    >You need to begin again.

    Not a big problem for me either, my old Gothic 2 characters were lost
    when my old computer died. Though if I could have used a Gothic 2
    character, I would have replayed the game just so that I could have
    started the expansion (when I get it) with a powerful character...

    >> Also is the expansion setup
    >>so that people can easily create and add user created mods like we can
    >>with Morrowind?
    >
    >No idea.
    >
    >The above is derived from discussion I have seen on
    >comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg , not from personal experience, so it may not
    >be 100% correct.

    Thanks for the info, from here on out I'll start checking the RPG
    group on a regular basis for more info about the Gothic 2 expansion.

    > Thanks for the info, from here on out I'll start checking the RPG
    > group on a regular basis for more info about the Gothic 2 expansion.
    >

    > That's my 2¢,
    >
    > FTA

    Just to give a bit more info - Yes, it's designed not really as an addon but
    an all round expansion of the whole of Gothic 2 - so the weapons are changed
    in balance (more realistic for their types etc), there are loads of new
    weapons, spells and monsters, a brand new area, lots of extra/optional side
    quests as well as a new main quest that is all linked up with the main aim
    of the game....

    From my own point of view, having to start over was a good thing!

    > I'm running a 2 GHz Pentium 4 and the time it takes to load the game
    > from CD is around 30 minutes plus another 30 minutes or more to
    create
    > the character and get to the Inn

    Just a wild stab in the dark here... do you use Internet Explorer as
    your web browser? :)

    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I'll pick up one of the
    IWDs (which?), and hunt on ebay for BG2. I'm also tempted by ToEE
    because I read a review saying that although it's complicated, it comes
    with a fantastic manual that's a good detailed introduction to the D&D
    rules.

    Andy

    > I'm running a 2 GHz Pentium 4 and the time it takes to load the game
    > from CD is around 30 minutes plus another 30 minutes or more to
    create
    > the character and get to the Inn

    Just a wild stab in the dark here... do you use Internet Explorer as
    your web browser? :)

    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I'll pick up one of the
    Icewind Dales (which?) and then hunt around on ebay for BG2. I'm also
    tempted by ToEE because one of the reviews said that although it's
    complicated, it has a fantastic manual which is a good detailed intro
    to the D&D rules.

    Andy

    Michael W. Ryder wrote:
    > Darrel Hoffman wrote:
    >>> I am like you, the first I played AoE and got into PC games. Now I
    >>> play quite bit RPG.
    >>> My all time favorite is baldur's gate. You don't have to be D&D rule
    >>
    >> expert
    >>
    >>> to play these games. If you enjoy good story, you will love
    >>> Baldur's gate series. BG1 starts with very good tutorial to make
    >>> you comfortable.
    >>

    >> BG1 pissed me off initially. I went through a rather long and boring
    >> introduction, then went out into the world, and my entire party was
    >> killed by a single ogre mage right out the front gate. Of course, I
    >> hadn't saved, since I wasn't expecting a monster that could kill my
    >> entire party so quickly to be waiting right outside the front gate.
    >> So I had to do the long and boring introduction part all over again.
    >> (Apparently there's no way to skip it...) By the time I got out the
    >> gate again, I was so tired of it I almost wanted to stop playing
    >> right there. But I saved before the ogre mage arrived. And this
    >> time, of course, the guy that's supposed to accompany you outside
    >> the gate and take care of the ogre mage for you was with me, because
    >> I didn't screw up the quest like the first time. Okay, so the ogre
    >> mage didn't kill me. But 5 minutes later, I lost the entire party
    >> to a pack of wolves. And when I tried to reload the save that I
    >> made before the ogre mage, it was corrupted. I put the game on the
    >> shelf and never looked back.
    >>

    > I have tried the game several times and make it all the way to the Inn
    > and then get wasted. No chance to fight back. A single mage
    > surrounded by fighters shouldn't stand a chance, but he prevails.

    Let the guards handle it and run away. Not every battle has to be fought and
    won.

    > too gave up on the game and will probably never try again. It takes
    > too long to load the game

    It shoudn't, not unless you have a sub 500MHz CPU. On my 800Mhz Duron it
    only takes 3 or 4 seconds at most to load most areas.

    --

    Burning_Ranger wrote:

    > Michael W. Ryder wrote:

    >>>expert

    >>>BG1 pissed me off initially. I went through a rather long and boring
    >>>introduction, then went out into the world, and my entire party was
    >>>killed by a single ogre mage right out the front gate. Of course, I
    >>>hadn't saved, since I wasn't expecting a monster that could kill my
    >>>entire party so quickly to be waiting right outside the front gate.
    >>>So I had to do the long and boring introduction part all over again.
    >>>(Apparently there's no way to skip it...) By the time I got out the
    >>>gate again, I was so tired of it I almost wanted to stop playing
    >>>right there. But I saved before the ogre mage arrived. And this
    >>>time, of course, the guy that's supposed to accompany you outside
    >>>the gate and take care of the ogre mage for you was with me, because
    >>>I didn't screw up the quest like the first time. Okay, so the ogre
    >>>mage didn't kill me. But 5 minutes later, I lost the entire party
    >>>to a pack of wolves. And when I tried to reload the save that I
    >>>made before the ogre mage, it was corrupted. I put the game on the
    >>>shelf and never looked back.
    >>>

    >>I have tried the game several times and make it all the way to the Inn
    >>and then get wasted. No chance to fight back. A single mage
    >>surrounded by fighters shouldn't stand a chance, but he prevails.
    >

    > Let the guards handle it and run away. Not every battle has to be fought and
    > won.

    I tried that and he shot me in the back. Considering that my party had
    over 30 HP and Magic Missiles do around 4 points each there is No way he
    should have been able to wipe me out. This encounter just pissed me off
    way too much.

    >>too gave up on the game and will probably never try again. It takes
    >>too long to load the game
    >

    > It shoudn't, not unless you have a sub 500MHz CPU. On my 800Mhz Duron it
    > only takes 3 or 4 seconds at most to load most areas.

    I'm running a 2 GHz Pentium 4 and the time it takes to load the game
    from CD is around 30 minutes plus another 30 minutes or more to create
    the character and get to the Inn just to die again and again. Needless
    to say the game was promptly uninstalled.

    > --
    >
    > Burning_Ranger
    >
    > To email: aziz@aziz1removethisbit.fsnet.co.uk

    Actually, this is fairly easy to win, providing you pause and maximise your
    attacks.
    I did have to re-load a couple of times until I got the first hit, but then
    no problem.

    Henchman:crg wrote:
    > Actually, this is fairly easy to win, providing you pause and maximise your
    > attacks.
    > I did have to re-load a couple of times until I got the first hit, but then
    > no problem.

    That's probably true but I was still trying to get the hang of the
    interface and all and it was just too soon to go up against a "boss"
    creature. Having played D&D for over 20 years I know how the fight
    should have gone and the way it played in the game was not even close.
    The mage should not have gotten more than his first magic mirror spell
    off before we were slicing and dicing him. Instead he got off multiple
    magic missile attacks while we just stood there and took them.
    Obviously he was at least 3rd or 4th level but he should have had less
    HP than my 1st level fighter and far less chance of survival.

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:31:59 GMT, FTA <FTA@fake.email> wrote:

    >In Gothic 1 & 2, having a drawn weapon when near someone is considered
    >by them to be an aggressive act. Generally they will give your
    >character a warning to put away the weapon before they attack, however
    >they don't give your character much time before they do attack.
    >Needless to say, beginner characters are nothing more than fresh meat
    >in the Penal Colony environment that your character tries to escape
    >from in Gothic 1. Gothic 2 begins a few weeks after your character
    >caused the Failure of Magic Barrier that enclosed the Penal Colony,
    >freeing all the prisoners trapped there...

    That's a good thing then - I've never felt comfortable with the idea
    that a stranger can walk into town brandishing a clearly deadly weapon
    (particularly of the glowing magical variety) without getting strong
    negative reactions from the populace. Arcanum is the only game I've
    actually played where people dislike you for wielding weapons for no
    apparent reason. Gothic is apparently another.

    I >like< that in games like Morrowind where getting a favorable
    response from NPCs is critical. I wouldn't mind dialogue options that
    allow one to be deliberately offensive - say in Desele's in Suran for
    instance. ("Boy has that dancer got great ..." might get you in
    trouble for instance)

Games RPG Video Games