Looking for advice folks.

My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.

Now, I'd quite like to try a proper RPG, but I'm a bit put off by all
the complexities of various versions of D&D rules, etc. I wonder if you
guys had any suggestions? I've downloaded some demos: here are my
thoughts, which you can confirm or correct.
1. Dungeon Siege. This seems to be the easiest to get into - point and
click, simple interface. I don't know how much depth there is?
2. Temple of Elemental Evil. This looks very good, but even at the
start of the demo my party quickly gets massacred. Is it a really hard
game, or do I need to work through some guides?
3. Icewind Dale 2 - well, there's no demo, but I've read the reviews
and it sounds like it's highly focused on lots of small battles - all
tactics, no strategy, which isn't really what I'm looking for.
4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...

I'd really appreciate any advice, especially highly opinionated advice.
Cheers,
Amdy

I am like you, the first I played AoE and got into PC games. Now I play
quite bit RPG.
My all time favorite is baldur's gate. You don't have to be D&D rule expert
to play these games. If you enjoy good story, you will love Baldur's gate
series. BG1 starts with very good tutorial to make you comfortable. And once
you learn how to play BG you know how to play Icewind dale. It is 2D.
Because you want to see what all party member and enemies doing, camera is
looking down from top is good. Yes, there is strategy in fight.
If you like slash and hack, you might want to check out Diablo2.

<a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Looking for advice folks.
>
> My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
> almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
> liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
> them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
> I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
>
> Now, I'd quite like to try a proper RPG, but I'm a bit put off by all
> the complexities of various versions of D&D rules, etc. I wonder if you
> guys had any suggestions? I've downloaded some demos: here are my
> thoughts, which you can confirm or correct.
> 1. Dungeon Siege. This seems to be the easiest to get into - point and
> click, simple interface. I don't know how much depth there is?
> 2. Temple of Elemental Evil. This looks very good, but even at the
> start of the demo my party quickly gets massacred. Is it a really hard
> game, or do I need to work through some guides?
> 3. Icewind Dale 2 - well, there's no demo, but I've read the reviews
> and it sounds like it's highly focused on lots of small battles - all
> tactics, no strategy, which isn't really what I'm looking for.
> 4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
> intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...
>
> I'd really appreciate any advice, especially highly opinionated advice.
> Cheers,
> Amdy

> 4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
> intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...

Excellent choice. I enjoyed it a lot.

Also good choices would be Arcanum, and BG 1 of course.

Lionheart was enjoyable too.

-timo-

-timo- wrote:
>> 4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
>> intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...
>
> Excellent choice. I enjoyed it a lot.
>
> Also good choices would be Arcanum, and BG 1 of course.
>
> Lionheart was enjoyable too.
>
> -timo-

Of those games I've only played BG2...great game.

a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

>Looking for advice folks.
>
>My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
>almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
>liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
>them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
>I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
>
>Now, I'd quite like to try a proper RPG, but I'm a bit put off by all
>the complexities of various versions of D&D rules, etc. I wonder if you
>guys had any suggestions? I've downloaded some demos: here are my
>thoughts, which you can confirm or correct.
>1. Dungeon Siege. This seems to be the easiest to get into - point and
>click, simple interface. I don't know how much depth there is?

There is not much depth. It has more in common with Diablo II (which
is much better than Dungeon Siege) than it does with more serious
RPGs. I would suggest Divine Divinity instead. I think Divine
Divinity is one of the best games released over the last few years. I
did enjoy Dungeon Siege, but I had no interest in going through it
again and was getting bored with it by the end of the game. Divine
Divinity made me want to go back instead of making me glad it was
over.

>2. Temple of Elemental Evil. This looks very good, but even at the
>start of the demo my party quickly gets massacred. Is it a really hard
>game, or do I need to work through some guides?

It is not extremely hard, but it is harder than Baldur's Gate or
Neverwinter Nights. It is less flexible than some of the other D&D
games and in the end I found it less enjoyable than the others. I do
think it is worth playing through, but I would play through some of
the easier/better games first as I think more experience with the
genre will make this game easier and more fun for you than it would be
otherwise.

>3. Icewind Dale 2 - well, there's no demo, but I've read the reviews
>and it sounds like it's highly focused on lots of small battles - all
>tactics, no strategy, which isn't really what I'm looking for.
>4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
>intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...

Good game but I would start with Baldur's Gate 1. I would then do the
Icewind Dale games but I would start with Icewind Dale 1 as well. The
games are definitely worth picking up even if they are a few years
old. My personal opinion is that Baldur's Gate 1 is the best of the
bunch, so that is another reason I suggest starting with it. If you
don't like it, I doubt you will like the rest.

Neverwinter Nights is good too, aside from the original quest. Get
the Platinum version which comes with both expansions and when you are
done with that, there are a lot of user-created mods for the game that
are very enjoyable.

And of course, I suggest finding Planescape Torment. I am not quite
as fanatical as some of the posters the ibm.pc.rpg group are, but it
really is a great game.

Don't forget Neverwinter Nights. 3D based Next generation BG.

<a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Looking for advice folks.
>
> My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
> almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
> liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
> them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
> I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
>
> Now, I'd quite like to try a proper RPG, but I'm a bit put off by all
> the complexities of various versions of D&D rules, etc. I wonder if you
> guys had any suggestions? I've downloaded some demos: here are my
> thoughts, which you can confirm or correct.
> 1. Dungeon Siege. This seems to be the easiest to get into - point and
> click, simple interface. I don't know how much depth there is?
> 2. Temple of Elemental Evil. This looks very good, but even at the
> start of the demo my party quickly gets massacred. Is it a really hard
> game, or do I need to work through some guides?
> 3. Icewind Dale 2 - well, there's no demo, but I've read the reviews
> and it sounds like it's highly focused on lots of small battles - all
> tactics, no strategy, which isn't really what I'm looking for.
> 4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
> intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...
>
> I'd really appreciate any advice, especially highly opinionated advice.
> Cheers,
> Amdy

I like Baldurs Gate 1 + 2 a lot. In my opinion one of the best RPGs ever
released. Their graphics are quite outdated for todays standard, but
superior playability and storyline still make this a good game years
after it was created.

If you are looking for fancier graphics, there is Neverwinter Nights. A
good game, but I personally didn't like it overly much - too linear -
and would prefer Baldurs Gate 2 anytime. While Neverwinter Nights is the
successor of Baldurs Gate, I actually found it a step backwards. The
main campaign appeared quite disappointing to me, while Baldurs Gate 2
story is a blast.

Fallout 1/2 are awesome roleplaying games as well, with a very
non-linear story.

Overall not much happening on the single-player RPG front today,
considering the better games are at least 4 years old. Guess online RPGs
and ultra-violent 3d shooters sell better.

On 31 Jan 2005 01:20:26 -0800, a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

>Looking for advice folks.
>
>My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
>almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
>liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
>them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
>I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.

Master of Orion II Battle at Antares (an old DOS/Windows 95 game) is
one of my favorite turn-based strategy games and other than the fact
that it doesn't save my high scores, it plays fine on my current XP
computer. Check out flea markets or other places that sell used games
if you're interested in it.

Since you like Morrowind, another good game (if you like Space games)
is Freelancer by Microsoft. Freelancer has a main story line that
gives the game depth (and is actually enjoyable to follow), and there
are a HUGE number of mods that can change almost every aspect of the
game... I tend to play Morrowind for awhile, then Freelancer, then
maybe something new, then I go back to playing Morrowind and
Freelancer again until I find something else to play for awhile before
getting back to both games using new mods for both...

>Now, I'd quite like to try a proper RPG, but I'm a bit put off by all
>the complexities of various versions of D&D rules, etc. I wonder if you
>guys had any suggestions? I've downloaded some demos: here are my
>thoughts, which you can confirm or correct.
>1. Dungeon Siege. This seems to be the easiest to get into - point and
>click, simple interface. I don't know how much depth there is?

Dungeon Siege is WAY Too Linear! You clean out one area, then move on
to the next, then the next, etc... and if you want to backtrack to a
previously visited area, it can take your character quite awhile! :(
I got tired of the game fairly quickly and when I uninstalled it, I
also deleted my saved games since I knew that I'd never want to
reinstall the game again.

>2. Temple of Elemental Evil. This looks very good, but even at the
>start of the demo my party quickly gets massacred. Is it a really hard
>game, or do I need to work through some guides?

I've got it, however I can't remember anything about it. :(

>3. Icewind Dale 2 - well, there's no demo, but I've read the reviews
>and it sounds like it's highly focused on lots of small battles - all
>tactics, no strategy, which isn't really what I'm looking for.

It's a good game, I've played both 1 & 2, and there are areas in the
game where strategy is VERY Important!

>4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
>intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...

Another good game, I enjoyed playing both 1 & 2 as well as the addons
for both games...

>I'd really appreciate any advice, especially highly opinionated advice.
>Cheers,
>Amdy

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

> I am like you, the first I played AoE and got into PC games. Now I play
> quite bit RPG.
> My all time favorite is baldur's gate. You don't have to be D&D rule
expert
> to play these games. If you enjoy good story, you will love Baldur's gate
> series. BG1 starts with very good tutorial to make you comfortable.

BG1 pissed me off initially. I went through a rather long and boring
introduction, then went out into the world, and my entire party was killed
by a single ogre mage right out the front gate. Of course, I hadn't saved,
since I wasn't expecting a monster that could kill my entire party so
quickly to be waiting right outside the front gate. So I had to do the long
and boring introduction part all over again. (Apparently there's no way to
skip it...) By the time I got out the gate again, I was so tired of it I
almost wanted to stop playing right there. But I saved before the ogre mage
arrived. And this time, of course, the guy that's supposed to accompany you
outside the gate and take care of the ogre mage for you was with me, because
I didn't screw up the quest like the first time. Okay, so the ogre mage
didn't kill me. But 5 minutes later, I lost the entire party to a pack of
wolves. And when I tried to reload the save that I made before the ogre
mage, it was corrupted. I put the game on the shelf and never looked back.

On 31 Jan 2005 01:20:26 -0800, a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

>Looking for advice folks.
>
>My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
>almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
>liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
>them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
>I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
>
>Now, I'd quite like to try a proper RPG, but I'm a bit put off by all
>the complexities of various versions of D&D rules, etc. I wonder if you
>guys had any suggestions? I've downloaded some demos: here are my
>thoughts, which you can confirm or correct.

>1. Dungeon Siege. This seems to be the easiest to get into - point and
>click, simple interface. I don't know how much depth there is?

Very little depth IMO. It's an extremely linear game, whose AI is such
that you barely need to even click the mouse. Attractive, but quite
forgettable.

>2. Temple of Elemental Evil. This looks very good, but even at the
>start of the demo my party quickly gets massacred. Is it a really hard
>game, or do I need to work through some guides?

It's a moderately hard game that stays extremely faithful to the D&D
ruleset. I think you'd have a hard time with this one if you don't
already have some familiarity with D&D. Also, it's fairly buggy.

>3. Icewind Dale 2 - well, there's no demo, but I've read the reviews
>and it sounds like it's highly focused on lots of small battles - all
>tactics, no strategy, which isn't really what I'm looking for.

A much more stable game than ToEE, and it simplifies some of the rules
in the interest of ease of use. Strategy and tactics are both important,
while roleplaying takes a back seat.

>4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
>intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...

This is the real thing - it has strategy, tactics, and roleplaying
blended into a really great game. The manual is very good, and you
shouldn't have any problems learning the rules.

I also highly recommend Fallout 1 & 2 and Planescape Torment. Arcanum
isn't bad either, though it has bug problems similar to ToEE.

legolas

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

Don't forget Arx Fatalis! A very good RPG. Not as big as Morrowind, but very
nice magic system. :)

<a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Looking for advice folks.
>
> My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
> almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
> liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
> them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
> I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
>
> Now, I'd quite like to try a proper RPG, but I'm a bit put off by all
> the complexities of various versions of D&D rules, etc. I wonder if you
> guys had any suggestions? I've downloaded some demos: here are my
> thoughts, which you can confirm or correct.
> 1. Dungeon Siege. This seems to be the easiest to get into - point and
> click, simple interface. I don't know how much depth there is?
> 2. Temple of Elemental Evil. This looks very good, but even at the
> start of the demo my party quickly gets massacred. Is it a really hard
> game, or do I need to work through some guides?
> 3. Icewind Dale 2 - well, there's no demo, but I've read the reviews
> and it sounds like it's highly focused on lots of small battles - all
> tactics, no strategy, which isn't really what I'm looking for.
> 4. Baldur's Gate 2. This looks like the real deal, but it's all a bit
> intimidating and strange and 2 dimensional...
>
> I'd really appreciate any advice, especially highly opinionated advice.
> Cheers,
> Amdy

In article <2bvsv09t180r4s6ofcqhlbjhfsraujav6b@4ax.com>, FTA@fake.email
says...

> Since you like Morrowind, another good game (if you like Space games)
> is Freelancer by Microsoft. Freelancer has a main story line that
> gives the game depth (and is actually enjoyable to follow), and there
> are a HUGE number of mods that can change almost every aspect of the
> game...

Hmmm. When I first saw the Freelancer demo I as very excited: here was
the successor to Elite! Nonlinear (so they said) ... Bought the game and
went to playing. And the further along I got, the more linear the game
got for me until in the end I felt I was playing, whilst wearing a
straightjacket. I simply stopped in the end, because I just felt it was
becoming a tedious chore to go on. (some time after killing the prez)

Those mods you mention, do they open the game up to s.th. approaching
Elite, or are they more in the way of equipment/craft ? Any URLs one
might want to explore?

cheers, -Peter

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:19:51 +1300, Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address>
wrote:

>In article <2bvsv09t180r4s6ofcqhlbjhfsraujav6b@4ax.com>, FTA@fake.email
>says...
>>
>> Since you like Morrowind, another good game (if you like Space games)
>> is Freelancer by Microsoft. Freelancer has a main story line that
>> gives the game depth (and is actually enjoyable to follow), and there
>> are a HUGE number of mods that can change almost every aspect of the
>> game...
>>

>Hmmm. When I first saw the Freelancer demo I as very excited: here was
>the successor to Elite! Nonlinear (so they said) ... Bought the game and
>went to playing. And the further along I got, the more linear the game
>got for me until in the end I felt I was playing, whilst wearing a
>straightjacket. I simply stopped in the end, because I just felt it was
>becoming a tedious chore to go on. (some time after killing the prez)

Freelancer may have seemed very linear because of the story line,
which I believe gives the game more depth and I Highly recomend that
first time Freelancer players complete it! Keep in mind that the game
ISN'T over when you complete the games story line, it's at that point
that Trent (your character) is free to do whatever he/you want to
do... However the mods available at the links below allow you to
change prettywell EVERY aspect of the game (including adding new
ships, weapons, bases, planets, star systems, factions, NPC's,
etc...), as well as Skipping the games story line entirely if you
want!

>Those mods you mention, do they open the game up to s.th. approaching
>Elite, or are they more in the way of equipment/craft ? Any URLs one
>might want to explore?
>
>cheers, -Peter

I never played Elite, so I have no idea how Freelancer compares to it,
however Freelancer is the first Real Time space combat game I've found
that makes Space Combat So Easy and Fun, that poor reflex guys like me
can actually Enjoy RT space combat! ^_^ Granted for all I know, there
may very well be a mod that makes Freelancer alot like Elite... I do
know that there is at least one Privateer mod for Freelancer, though
I've never tried it.

The link below is the MAIN place to look for Freelancer mods! Don't
be surprised if you spend several hours or More looking at countless
mods trying to decide which ones you might want to try! ^_^

http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/

Here's another link for Freelancer mods:

http://www.fileplanet.com/50794/0/section/Freelancer

The link below is for the Freelancer Mod Manager v1.31, which is a
MUST Have program for limiting conflicts between mods, as well as for
managing different saved game files for different configurations of
mods.

http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/download/download.asp?id=927

Good Luck and Have Fun! ^_^

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

<a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Looking for advice folks.
>
> My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
> almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
> liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
> them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
> I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.

<snip>

Some people hate it (particularly some lovers of morrowind for some
reason) - but one of my all time favourites is Gothic 2 (not played the
first one).... The sense of a world it creates is really great and even now
I still love to play through it... It really is one of the big overlooked
games.

(note - I also do love morrowind, so it's not mutually exclusive to like one
or the other!)

starwolf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004

<a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Looking for advice folks.
>
> My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
> almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
> liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
> them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
> I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
> > I'd really appreciate any advice, especially highly opinionated advice.
> Cheers,
> Amdy

I'm the same, keep me challenged and interested with a nice openended story,
and don't make it too too hard, as by the end of the day I want something
just brutal enough to keep a 5 year old from being bored, but not too tough
for my 43 year old "had a tough day at work" self.... (OK, I play at
wussified level).

I've played Baldur's Gate I and II, both are great, kept me happily gaming
for many many months. Get the Gatekeeper and Shadowkeeper character
editors, if you like tweaking your character. (I have links to the site for
that SOMEWHERE, If you want).

Icewind Dale series... enjoyed, but not as much as Baldur's Gate. Throne of
Baal was pretty cool.

Neverwinter Nights.... I played and liked, but I discovered Morrowind while
still early in NWN, and switched. On the other hand, I have a friend who is
completely and utterly addicted to NWN, and ignores Morrowind.

Deus Ex... more of a unidirectional story line, but a nice game, with many
hours of gameplay. Not my favorite ever, but not one I'm going to trade in,
either.

Majesty: ok. somewhat better than a few rounds of solitaire, I play it as a
solitaire alternative, if I'm not up to trying to slay cliffracers.

Planescape Torment.... easy, definitely strange with a capital S, but I had
loads of fun with it, one I would recommend. Usually find-able in the "two
for ten bucks" section of your better Walmarts, or comparable locations.

Thief: I never got into it much, but I'm not a "stealth character" type,
more "hack and slash". I have a friend who's into stealth characters, he
loved it.

Ancient Games: Ultima Underworld.. the Stygian Abyss and the followup games
in the series. Nice nostalgic moments. Worth at least a week or two, if
you can find it.

For what it's worth.

Starwolf

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:28:56 GMT, "Nerevar" <monk@mink.monk> wrote:

><a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Looking for advice folks.
>>
>> My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
>> almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
>> liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
>> them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
>> I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
>
><snip>
>
>Some people hate it (particularly some lovers of morrowind for some
>reason) - but one of my all time favourites is Gothic 2 (not played the
>first one).... The sense of a world it creates is really great and even now
>I still love to play through it... It really is one of the big overlooked
>games.

I really enjoyed playing Gothic (the first game), though it took
awhile for me (a Morrowind player) to break myself FROM pressing my
Space key when I wanted to talk to someone (in Gothic 1 & 2 pressing
the Space Bar causes your character to draw their weapon possibly
starting a fight). <L> I even plan to replay Gothic 1 so I can play
the game as one of the other factions in the game that my character
didn't join the first time I played Gothic. Since you liked Gothic 2,
I'm sure that you'll LOVE the original Gothic (which I liked better
than Gothic 2) IF you can find a copy of it somewhere (like maybe on
Ebay). BTW, in Gothic 1, there are scrolls that allow your character
to change into a Bloodfly which allows your character to get around
FAST, and Bloodfly's Don't get hurt if they fly off the top of a cliff
and they are great fun for chasing miners!

I replayed Gothic 2 three different times so that I could play the
game as all three character types/factions... If they ever release a
Gothic 3 (which they hint at when Gothic 2 ends), I'll buy it because
I enjoyed Gothic 1 & 2 so much!

>(note - I also do love morrowind, so it's not mutually exclusive to like one
>or the other!)

True! ^_^

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

> I really enjoyed playing Gothic (the first game), though it took
> awhile for me (a Morrowind player) to break myself FROM pressing my
> Space key when I wanted to talk to someone (in Gothic 1 & 2 pressing
> the Space Bar causes your character to draw their weapon possibly
> starting a fight). <L>

Reminds me of my first time playing Morrowind when I clicked instead of
hitting space, causing me to attack Arille the trader in Seyda Neen. He
finished me off pretty fast...

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:28:56 GMT, "Nerevar" <monk@mink.monk> wrote:

><a_n_d_y_bell@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Looking for advice folks.
>>
>> My favourite games genre is turn-based strategy, but as there are
>> almost no such games ever made, I have to look elsewhere too. I really
>> liked the best RTS games (AoE, Warcraft), but now there are too many of
>> them and they're too bland. I've played Morrowind for countless hours -
>> I guess it's a bridge between ordinary strategy games and hardcore RPG.
>
><snip>
>
>Some people hate it (particularly some lovers of morrowind for some
>reason) - but one of my all time favourites is Gothic 2 (not played the
>first one).... The sense of a world it creates is really great and even now
>I still love to play through it... It really is one of the big overlooked
>games.
>
>(note - I also do love morrowind, so it's not mutually exclusive to like one
>or the other!)

I'm one of those who couldn't stand Gothic 2 - the reason is the
interface rather than anything to do with the design. While Morrowind is
fluid and responsive, Gothic 2 takes ages to swing the camera around to
follow your character, and there's also a noticeable delay between
pressing keys and getting any effect.

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:05:52 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>> I really enjoyed playing Gothic (the first game), though it took
>> awhile for me (a Morrowind player) to break myself FROM pressing my
>> Space key when I wanted to talk to someone (in Gothic 1 & 2 pressing
>> the Space Bar causes your character to draw their weapon possibly
>> starting a fight). <L>
>
>Reminds me of my first time playing Morrowind when I clicked instead of
>hitting space, causing me to attack Arille the trader in Seyda Neen. He
>finished me off pretty fast...

In Gothic 1 & 2, having a drawn weapon when near someone is considered
by them to be an aggressive act. Generally they will give your
character a warning to put away the weapon before they attack, however
they don't give your character much time before they do attack.
Needless to say, beginner characters are nothing more than fresh meat
in the Penal Colony environment that your character tries to escape
from in Gothic 1. Gothic 2 begins a few weeks after your character
caused the Failure of Magic Barrier that enclosed the Penal Colony,
freeing all the prisoners trapped there...

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>> I am like you, the first I played AoE and got into PC games. Now I
>> play quite bit RPG.
>> My all time favorite is baldur's gate. You don't have to be D&D rule
>> expert to play these games. If you enjoy good story, you will love
>> Baldur's gate series. BG1 starts with very good tutorial to make you
>> comfortable.
>
> BG1 pissed me off initially. I went through a rather long and boring
> introduction, then went out into the world, and my entire party was
> killed by a single ogre mage right out the front gate. Of course, I
> hadn't saved, since I wasn't expecting a monster that could kill my
> entire party so quickly to be waiting right outside the front gate.
> So I had to do the long and boring introduction part all over again.
> (Apparently there's no way to skip it...) By the time I got out the
> gate again, I was so tired of it I almost wanted to stop playing
> right there. But I saved before the ogre mage arrived. And this
> time, of course, the guy that's supposed to accompany you outside the
> gate and take care of the ogre mage for you was with me, because I
> didn't screw up the quest like the first time. Okay, so the ogre
> mage didn't kill me. But 5 minutes later, I lost the entire party to
> a pack of wolves. And when I tried to reload the save that I made
> before the ogre mage, it was corrupted. I put the game on the shelf
> and never looked back.

If you've played any RPG (not excluding Morrowind) you'll know that your
party at the start is pitifully weak. Hell, in Morrowind even a slug can
easily kill you when you are just starting out.

--

Burning_Ranger

To email: aziz@aziz1removethisbit.fsnet.co.uk

"FTA" <FTA@fake.email> wrote in message
>>(note - I also do love morrowind, so it's not mutually exclusive to like
>>one
>>or the other!)
>
> True! ^_^

Glad I'm not the only one then! I've recently got hold of the gothic 2
expansion (only available in german) and applied the fan made translation
mod, it's great and adds a lot of new stuff to the game including a large
new island etc

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>>I am like you, the first I played AoE and got into PC games. Now I play
>>quite bit RPG.
>>My all time favorite is baldur's gate. You don't have to be D&D rule
>
> expert
>
>>to play these games. If you enjoy good story, you will love Baldur's gate
>>series. BG1 starts with very good tutorial to make you comfortable.
>

> BG1 pissed me off initially. I went through a rather long and boring
> introduction, then went out into the world, and my entire party was killed
> by a single ogre mage right out the front gate. Of course, I hadn't saved,
> since I wasn't expecting a monster that could kill my entire party so
> quickly to be waiting right outside the front gate. So I had to do the long
> and boring introduction part all over again. (Apparently there's no way to
> skip it...) By the time I got out the gate again, I was so tired of it I
> almost wanted to stop playing right there. But I saved before the ogre mage
> arrived. And this time, of course, the guy that's supposed to accompany you
> outside the gate and take care of the ogre mage for you was with me, because
> I didn't screw up the quest like the first time. Okay, so the ogre mage
> didn't kill me. But 5 minutes later, I lost the entire party to a pack of
> wolves. And when I tried to reload the save that I made before the ogre
> mage, it was corrupted. I put the game on the shelf and never looked back.

I have tried the game several times and make it all the way to the Inn
and then get wasted. No chance to fight back. A single mage surrounded
by fighters shouldn't stand a chance, but he prevails. I too gave up on
the game and will probably never try again. It takes too long to load
the game and then get to the Inn to be wasted by an encounter you can
Not avoid.

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:56:52 GMT, "Nerevar" <monk@mink.monk> wrote:

>"FTA" <FTA@fake.email> wrote in message
>>>(note - I also do love morrowind, so it's not mutually exclusive to like
>>>one
>>>or the other!)
>>
>> True! ^_^
>
>Glad I'm not the only one then! I've recently got hold of the gothic 2
>expansion (only available in german) and applied the fan made translation
>mod, it's great and adds a lot of new stuff to the game including a large
>new island etc

Wow that's GREAT! ^_^ That means that with luck, they'll have an
english version released in maybe another 6 months. It gives me
something new to look forward to playing sometime this summer...

Lucky for me, I know about www.GoGamer.com which imports alot of
english versions of games at a discount, sometimes several months
before they are released here in the US. Which is good since the
Gothic series never did get picked up for sale in many stores that I
frequent. :( So with GoGamer, I doubt that I'll have to wait for the
english version of the expansion to FINELY (if at all) appear on a
store shelf near where I live. Granted given a choice, I prefer to
walk into a store, see a game I want, and be playing the game that
evening, without having to wait for the game to be delivered to my
house several days later...

Is the expansion a Stand Alone game, or does everyone need Gothic 2 to
play the game? Can you import your existing (powerful) Gothic 2
character into the expansion game, or does everyone start the
expansion with a new beginner character? Also is the expansion setup
so that people can easily create and add user created mods like we can
with Morrowind?

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 12:25:16 GMT, FTA <FTA@fake.email> wrote:

>Is the expansion a Stand Alone game, or does everyone need Gothic 2 to
>play the game?

It's not stand alone.

> Can you import your existing (powerful) Gothic 2
>character into the expansion game, or does everyone start the
>expansion with a new beginner character?

You need to begin again.

> Also is the expansion setup
>so that people can easily create and add user created mods like we can
>with Morrowind?

No idea.

The above is derived from discussion I have seen on
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg , not from personal experience, so it may not
be 100% correct.

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 01:25:43 +1100, Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 12:25:16 GMT, FTA <FTA@fake.email> wrote:
>

>>Is the expansion a Stand Alone game, or does everyone need Gothic 2 to
>>play the game?
>
>It's not stand alone.

Not a real problem, I've still got my copy of Gothic 2.

>> Can you import your existing (powerful) Gothic 2
>>character into the expansion game, or does everyone start the
>>expansion with a new beginner character?
>
>You need to begin again.

Not a big problem for me either, my old Gothic 2 characters were lost
when my old computer died. Though if I could have used a Gothic 2
character, I would have replayed the game just so that I could have
started the expansion (when I get it) with a powerful character...

>> Also is the expansion setup
>>so that people can easily create and add user created mods like we can
>>with Morrowind?
>
>No idea.
>
>The above is derived from discussion I have seen on
>comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg , not from personal experience, so it may not
>be 100% correct.

Thanks for the info, from here on out I'll start checking the RPG
group on a regular basis for more info about the Gothic 2 expansion.