Using the Welcome Screen

Hi,

I can't get my Welcome Screen back on my computer. To do so, I need to go to
Control Panel->User Accounts and click "Change the way users log on or off."
This is where my problems start: doing so, I get a message box saying
"Client Services for NetWare has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast User
Switching. To restore those features, you must uninstall Client Services for
NetWare." Unfortunately I cannot do so. Clicking the CSNW icon in control
panel brings up an alert that the service has not been started; there is
nothing I can find in add/remove programs, nor any other uninstall
information. WHat do I do?

TIA
James

here is what I found using the Google search.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315347&Product=winxp

"Santiago de Compostela" <santiago538@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I can't get my Welcome Screen back on my computer. To do so, I need to go
> Control Panel->User Accounts and click "Change the way users log on or
off."
> This is where my problems start: doing so, I get a message box saying
> "Client Services for NetWare has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast User
> Switching. To restore those features, you must uninstall Client Services
for
> NetWare." Unfortunately I cannot do so. Clicking the CSNW icon in control
> panel brings up an alert that the service has not been started; there is
> nothing I can find in add/remove programs, nor any other uninstall
> information. WHat do I do?
>
> TIA
> James

[[NOTE: If you depend on accessing a Novell network and need the Client
Service for Netware or the Novell Client, you cannot use the Welcome Screen
or the Fast User Switching features of Windows XP.]]

Client Service for Netware has to be uninstalled from Local Area connection.
See this for instructions...

Error Message When You Try to Turn On Welcome Screen or Fast User Switching
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315347

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:uZJVmyetEHA.376@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Santiago de Compostela <santiago538@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
>
> I can't get my Welcome Screen back on my computer. To do so, I need
> to go to Control Panel->User Accounts and click "Change the way users
> log on or off." This is where my problems start: doing so, I get a
> message box saying "Client Services for NetWare has disabled the
> Welcome screen and Fast User Switching. To restore those features,
> you must uninstall Client Services for NetWare." Unfortunately I
> cannot do so. Clicking the CSNW icon in control panel brings up an
> alert that the service has not been started; there is nothing I can
> find in add/remove programs, nor any other uninstall information.
> WHat do I do?
>
> TIA
> James

That was fast....thanks a whole lot
James
"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> here is what I found using the Google search.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315347&Product=winxp
>
> "Santiago de Compostela" <santiago538@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can't get my Welcome Screen back on my computer. To do so, I need to go
>> Control Panel->User Accounts and click "Change the way users log on or
> off."
>> This is where my problems start: doing so, I get a message box saying
>> "Client Services for NetWare has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast
>> User
>> Switching. To restore those features, you must uninstall Client Services
> for
>> NetWare." Unfortunately I cannot do so. Clicking the CSNW icon in control
>> panel brings up an alert that the service has not been started; there is
>> nothing I can find in add/remove programs, nor any other uninstall
>> information. WHat do I do?
>>
>> TIA
>> James

you are welcome, James. :)

Santiago de Compostela wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't get my Welcome Screen back on my computer. To do so, I need
> to go to Control Panel->User Accounts and click "Change the way
> users
> log on or off." This is where my problems start: doing so, I get a
> message box saying "Client Services for NetWare has disabled the
> Welcome screen and Fast User Switching. To restore those features,
> you must uninstall Client Services for NetWare." Unfortunately I
> cannot do so. Clicking the CSNW icon in control panel brings up an
> alert that the service has not been started; there is nothing I can
> find in add/remove programs, nor any other uninstall information.
> WHat do I do?
> TIA
> James

If you don't need the Novell Client to connect to a LAN:

Start > Network Connections > Right-click on the desired connection >
Properties > General > High-light the Client Services for Novell >
Uninstall.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: