Sign in with
Your question

Raptor Hard drives and RAID 0. Yes, read STICKY

Last response: in Storage
August 16, 2006 6:09:14 AM

I am currently running my OS on a 80 gb sata WD HD. I would like to create an image of the HD and save it on a bootable disk. Then remove the HD and install 2 Raptors on Raid 0 and boot the image on the new hard drives and run my OS on the raptors. Is this possible? Does any one have any ideas on what I should do with the raptors if not possible. Also I would like to increase my DVD ripping speed. Any TIPS.

Win XP Home SP2
P4 3.4
ASUS P5wd2
1gb DDR2 crucial ballistic
80gb WD sata
August 16, 2006 6:33:43 AM

well, anything is possible...but machine would never run as good as clean install!
August 16, 2006 7:13:17 AM

Hmm good question,
theoreticly I think you could "possibly" do it via a program such as Norton Ghost.
but like the above guy said. I would just do a fresh install.
Related resources
August 16, 2006 1:26:57 PM

It could be done yes...but, it would be a problem to get the ghost software to recognize the raid controller to do the job. Also, somehow this type of clonning not always is a successful procedure, leading to all sorts of erros while using the pc.
August 17, 2006 12:52:59 AM

What RAID controller will you be using? If you want to use your ICH7R built-in RAID on your Intel chipset, there is no way to preserve the existing Windows installation.

There is a completely unsupported and risky method to preserve a Windows installation when booting from another mass storage controller than the one Windows was installed on, but the only way to make it work is if BOTH the old controller and the new controller can be installed at the same time.

Since the ICH7R can only be in "SATA" mode or "RAID" mode, but not both, there is no way to get Windows to see both at the same time.

I suppose you could use a PCI IDE card and do the procedure twice. 8O But this would require a PCI IDE (or PCI SATA) card temporarily, and either a network location that has enough space to hold your Windows installation, or a temporary hard drive (other than the ones you want to use for the RAID).

If you want to try this, I'll post a procedure to do it, but I'll just warn you in advance that it's extremely risky, and quite possibly won't work at all. Only attempt it if you can either be OK with losing all the data on that drive, or if you have a full backup that you can go back to.
August 17, 2006 8:08:31 AM

Thank you everybody for all of your help. I take the yalls advise on just doing a clean install. Thank you again.

PS
MY raid will be thru my MB Asus p5wd2-premium.
!